Heart rate and insanity..what should i do?

Options
Hello..i have a question,a personal trainer from the gym,told me that i must exercise (on treadmil,eliptical or bike)with no more than 160 beats per minute.i m 19,he said that is the best for me, i tryed to follow his advice and be on 150-155.but i wanna start insanity(today i did the fit test) and i think during the workouts my heart will go like crazy..over 160:( if its anybody who knows something about this,please tell me what is ok to do.its not dangerous for the heart to beat so fast suddenly?

Replies

• Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    I would like to hear what other say.. I am over 40 and plus size.. AND doing Insanity.. my heart rate goes between 150-165. I usually poop out before it goes any higher..
  • marypatmccue
    marypatmccue Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Hello..i have a question,a personal trainer from the gym,told me that i must exercise (on treadmil,eliptical or bike)with no more than 160 beats per minute.i m 19,he said that is the best for me, i tryed to follow his advice and be on 150-155.but i wanna start insanity(today i did the fit test) and i think during the workouts my heart will go like crazy..over 160:( if its anybody who knows something about this,please tell me what is ok to do.its not dangerous for the heart to beat so fast suddenly?

Why is that best for you?
  • marypatmccue
    Options
    edited for duplicate.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I'm 55 and have been running for 3 yrs. My HR is always in the high 150's to 160's and I haven't seen any ill effects yet. No idea why someone would tell a 19 yr old to keep their HR that low unless he believes the myth of the fat burning zone. At 19 you should be able to work up to 200 bpm with no issue
  • marypatmccue
    Options
    I'm 55 and have been running for 3 yrs. My HR is always in the high 150's to 160's and I haven't seen any ill effects yet. No idea why someone would tell a 19 yr old to keep their HR that low unless he believes the myth of the fat burning zone. At 19 you should be able to work up to 200 bpm with no issue

My thoughts exactly...
  • nurse_jenie
    nurse_jenie Posts: 173
    Options
    I am 30 years old and this is week two of Insanity for me. I bought a HRM and I sit at about 185-190 through every workout but recovery so far. I feel great. A healthy 19 year old should have no issues with a higher heart rate working out.
  • dsendre
    dsendre Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I'm 33 and when I first started Insanity my HR would be between 165-180 when I was pushing myself in my workouts sometimes even maxing 181-183. As I became more fit throughout the Insanity schedule, my HR would be between 160-175.

No idea why your PT would want you to only stay under 160....... Did he/she give a reason for that?
  • hellenn25
    hellenn25 Posts: 48
    Options
    Maybe he was talking about just losing weight slowly,without pushing the heart so hard.
  • ECR1989
    ECR1989 Posts: 158
    Options
    I'm doing insanity and my heart rate hangs around 170-180 a lot whilst doing the workouts. At first I worried but it doesn't make me feel ill, and i just take a rest as needed if i feel like i'm going too fast. Your maximum heart rate as a 19 yo is 201 and working out at 80% of that is recommended which is 160, which im guessing is why your PT told you that. Just keep an eye on it, see how you go and just stop if you feel ill!
  • squatsandlipgloss
    squatsandlipgloss Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    For the best results with Insanity, you need to be between 80% and 90% of your max heart rate (which is the anaerobic zone - which is where you lung capacity increases), so for you that would roughly be between 160 and 180.

Don't listen to your gym instructor, he probably doesn't know about Insanity ;)
  • sarann6
    sarann6 Posts: 1
    Options
    I would say talk to your doctor. They know you and your health specifically, they should be able to give you the best range for you. These kinds of things vary from person to person and based on their health and fitness, and cannot be compared to others.