Any fellow asthmatics out there running?

Options
jdier
jdier Posts: 110 Member
Getting on the treadmill has been a challenge for me because of allergy induced asthma. I do see much improvement the longer I have been running. I can run 1/2 mile and then have to go to fast walking for a while, then repeat. Have you asthmatics seen your ability to run increase with time?

Replies

• lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    I do not, but my husband has very bad asthma. He always takes a puff of his inhaler before he even starts. He also has to run/walk. Outside is worse for him because of the elevation in the road, where on the treadmill he can go faster, and it is a level surface. But we always carry an inhaler, and usually he takes a puff at the end.

But he has seen improvement in his lung capacity and endurance. So keep at it. I believe it will probably improve. Make sure to talk to your doctor to as he can probably help you with rescue inhalers or the proper regimen to get where you want to be.
  • jdier
    Options
    Thanks for that encouragement! I don't even run outside any more because it was so rough on my system.
  • jdier
    Options
    Congrats on being so close to your goal weight, btw!
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    My goals are ever changing. I am actually doing it in 2 lb increments. Ideally, I'd like to be 130 lb, but realistically MIGHT make it to 135, but am setting goals in 2 lb increments since I have so much to lose and it fluctuates horribly. But thanks. Those 20 lb of yours will be ADIOS in no time. Great job on your motivation.
  • jdier
    Options
    Judging by your CW, we are about the same. I have 3 months to fit into a size 6 bridesmaids dress (yes, I ordered one size smaller)! 2 years ago, after I had my first child, I worked out about 5 days a week on the elliptical and burned 1,000 calories each day on that thing. Kind of insane, but I dropped 13 lbs in about 2 1/2 months and kept it off (until the next pregnancy came along). This is what is motivating me. I know I have lost weight before. Doing it it 2 lb. increments is a great idea. Good luck! You can do it.