SO mad :(

Options
Hey all...Im back from not doing this for a while. I gained most of my 40lb loss back :( No worries, I'm sticking to it this time...So, anyway...About a month ago I was doing a body sculpting class in the gym at my work...I stopped going because the lady was in no way, shape or form, motivating. Most boring class, ever. Anyway...I was storing my HRM and other equipment in a locker there and i couldn't get to it for over a week because the students were on spring break.. So i was just going off of the calories burned on the machines. So, I finally got my HRM today and used it at the gym...turns out it's WAY OFF on the calories burned!! I am so mad! After 25 min on the elliptical, i would usually burn 300 cals (according to the machine) now according to my HRM it was only about 275....So i have been probably eating over my calories for the past 2 weeks almost!! ugh. :( what the hell...I"m aggravated now. My weigh in is tomorrow, hope I see some kind of loss!! This happen to anyone else?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Hey all...Im back from not doing this for a while. I gained most of my 40lb loss back :( No worries, I'm sticking to it this time...So, anyway...About a month ago I was doing a body sculpting class in the gym at my work...I stopped going because the lady was in no way, shape or form, motivating. Most boring class, ever. Anyway...I was storing my HRM and other equipment in a locker there and i couldn't get to it for over a week because the students were on spring break.. So i was just going off of the calories burned on the machines. So, I finally got my HRM today and used it at the gym...turns out it's WAY OFF on the calories burned!! I am so mad! After 25 min on the elliptical, i would usually burn 300 cals (according to the machine) now according to my HRM it was only about 275....So i have been probably eating over my calories for the past 2 weeks almost!! ugh. :( what the hell...I"m aggravated now. My weigh in is tomorrow, hope I see some kind of loss!! This happen to anyone else?

25 cals difference? really?
  • tjsoccermom
    tjsoccermom Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I hope that being 25 calories off is a typo, as that's not very much. The machines are never accurate, I've been told they overestimate as much as 50% as there are just too many factors they can't take into account. HRM is not completely accurate either. To be safe, I try to eat back around 50% of my exercise calories. I wouldn't stress about 25 calories though.
  • belligerent599
    Options
    Assuming you worked out on the elliptical every day for 14 days, if it's off by 25, you only would have overeaten by around 350 for the whole two week period. Not really that big a deal, to be honest. Not worth the cortisol spike getting upset gives you. Now you know the discrepency between your HRM and the machine and can adjust fire.
  • squatsandlipgloss
    squatsandlipgloss Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Wayyyy off!!! 25 cals... Oh boy...