CROSSFIT???

Options
I am starting crossfit today with - it is a bootcamp workout...
I need a good a$$whooping....

Has anyone done it? And if so what are your results?

Replies

• SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I have friends that do. I've spoken with th em extensively. It's a great program, I'm very much for it. I don't do it myself as I'm pretty good at motivating myself and kicking my own butt.

It's a great routine though, can really get you going. Best of luck to you. Let us know how it turns out!
  • kondacmc
    kondacmc Posts: 2
    Options
    Love it! Love that you do something different everyday and it goes so quickly...getting a full workout in in just 20 minutes on most days.
  • hill242
    hill242 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I've been going to a Crossfit affiliate since last August. It's been a really good program for me. I am stronger and faster than ever. Every day it's something different so that's been really key for me to maintain interest and returning for every workout. Very much a change for me in which I'd hit up our work gym (empty except for me) and slug through my weight lifting alone. I was never able to keep it up for more than 3-4 weeks in a row. I felt the same at most "regular" gyms as I was the only woman lifting heavy free weights. Now I feel like I have a home, with other people of like mind in their approach to strength and agility training.

One thing I want to make sure anyone who is considering Crossfit should understand: Most of the "WOD"s (workout of the day) are very challenging and most people should scale the workouts, and make sure they get proper instruction on form before jumping into a, say, split jerk WOD. Don't let inflated expectations or your ego lead down the road to injury.
  • AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options
    My best friend did crossfit for 6 months. She said she was in the best shape of her life. She loved it. She never felt healthier. She is studying abroad in spain right now but I have no doubt she will do it again when she gets back. Its too expensive for me :C but she thought it was fantastic.
  • hill242
    Options
    OK I have to post a link to my FAVORITE youtube video ever

Crossfit Women
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufVcD2_2dXg
  • sabes2631
    sabes2631 Posts: 403
    Options
    I agree - I hate the repetitiveness of free weights and machines. I get bored. I am running consistently and training for another half marathon - but i need something else to complete my program... and I want to be toned and flexible.
    Plus i want to get rid of this little pooch on my mid section I have.
  • sparklebritches
    Options
    I have one of these super close to my house and I"m finding their website vague...I've been curious to check it out for a while.

Is every session or time you go in a class? Or is it just a big, basic empty warehouse with a few basic items? I gather that you take a $100 introductory class.

I've seen several people of all shapes and sizes wearing Crossfit T's running along side a busy street at rush hour. Don't know about that. It's near several empty residential streets. :huh:

:
  • hill242
    Options
    Its too expensive for me :C

I think that is a major problem for most who are interested. I am lucky that the area I am in has a low demand for Crossfit, therefore, the box I go to only charges $50. I think the value I obtain for that Grant is phenomenal. Every day I go in, the trainer is available to go over any lift or movement and instruct on proper form and technique.

But I know it can be a lot more expensive in larger populated areas due to supply/demand.

I think it would be worth paying for a month or two and learning the lifts and techniques. You could then work on building your own home gym or incorporating WODs into your routine at a "normal" gym.
  • hill242
    Options
    Is every session or time you go in a class? Or is it just a big, basic empty warehouse with a few basic items? I gather that you take a $100 introductory class.

I think it's going to greatly depend on the affiliate "box" you go to. At my box, it's an open warehouse with some basic workstations. We don't have any cardio equipment except for a stationary bike and a Concept2 rower. The rest is lifting/pullup stations and a lot of barbells and weight plates. Some of us that work out there meet up around the same time and do the WODs together, but some just drift in and do them whenever they can in the evening.

Each box is left to their own decisions in regards to how the conduct classes or WODs. You'll just need to go check it out =)
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Here's an alternative viewpoint written by a friend of mine in the fitness industry who happens to be extremely bright.

http://www.ampedtraining.com/strength/functional-cross-training-vs-specific-training/
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    OK I have to post a link to my FAVORITE youtube video ever

Crossfit Women
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufVcD2_2dXg

I'm not gonna lie, that got me a little choked up (with joy). I feel exactly the same as the woman in the beginning of the video. I see those women on the cover of Shape magazine and think "great, so you can curl 5 lbs but you're skinny." Whereas seeing a woman in the weight room yesterday doing so many pull ups I lost count got me so motivated.

To answer the original question, I've never done Crossfit. There is a gym near me that I am working up the nerve to try. I think going regularly is a little out of my price range at the moment. I think I often workout in a "crossfit-like" way, but scaled back considerably (I don't have access at home to SERIOUS weight, nor am I able to handle it right now). I totally agree about feeling all alone in the weight room at the gym, which is one reason I usually workout at home. (I seriously wanted to go up and hug the aforementioned woman doing the pull ups.)
  • jamie31
    jamie31 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I am starting crossfit today with - it is a bootcamp workout...
    I need a good a$$whooping....

Has anyone done it? And if so what are your results?

I have never heard of this before. Is it a video or is it a special gym??
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Crossfit can be "fun". It is definitely intense and can provide some unique workout challenges.

I would only caution against buying too much into the more "cultlike" aspects of it, which I think are pretty silly.

But then I think that way about most "dogmas", be they exercise, religious, or political.

I have watched some of the videos explaining the "science" behind crossfit and was amused much of it. A lot of the explanations struck me as "this is the way it is because this is the way I want it to be". Like any other routine, there are benefits and shortcomings. For newcomers, it does provide a significant surge in training intensity so you will definitely move off whatever plateau you are on. As far as long-term results, that is in the eye of the beholder--"best shape" means different things to different people.

I don't necessarily care for the whole program/protocol, but I like a lot of the exercises and the compound movements. At my age I have to be a lot more cautious about how I add those types of movements into my routine but I like using some of them in my "metabolic" workouts.
  • Azdak
    Options
    Here's an alternative viewpoint written by a friend of mine in the fitness industry who happens to be extremely bright.

http://www.ampedtraining.com/strength/functional-cross-training-vs-specific-training/

Just starting to read it, but I like it so far:

"CrossFit seems to be going the route that most big, popular things in fitness tend to go – that is, full of ego-driven people that are more interested in the bottom line than anything else. And just like any orthodoxy-cum-faith, CrossFit is churning out Teh Drama like Waffle House turns out hashbrowns."

That is the fitness industry in a nutshell.

Explains some of my "snipeyness"--I've been watching the drama for over 25 years.
  • Azdak
    Options

OK-read the whole thing and it's very well done. Concepts can be applied to many other "programs"-- from P90X to Pilates.
  • stroutman81
    Options
    Crossfit can be "fun". It is definitely intense and can provide some unique workout challenges.

I would only caution against buying too much into the more "cultlike" aspects of it, which I think are pretty silly.

But then I think that way about most "dogmas", be they exercise, religious, or political.

I have watched some of the videos explaining the "science" behind crossfit and was amused much of it. A lot of the explanations struck me as "this is the way it is because this is the way I want it to be". Like any other routine, there are benefits and shortcomings. For newcomers, it does provide a significant surge in training intensity so you will definitely move off whatever plateau you are on. As far as long-term results, that is in the eye of the beholder--"best shape" means different things to different people.

I don't necessarily care for the whole program/protocol, but I like a lot of the exercises and the compound movements. At my age I have to be a lot more cautious about how I add those types of movements into my routine but I like using some of them in my "metabolic" workouts.

This is my exact take. Well said.
  • hill242
    Options

I find some of the criticisms to be valid, in regards to the "not training for a specific sport" area. I think, for example, if you want to get really strong on your bike, you need to ride your bike to do that. If you want to run a marathon, then you need to run. But in my case, I just like to feel... "better", if that makes any sense. I think the author addresses that aspect, so no need to rehash.

But the claim that "When you not only encourage bad form and injuries, but are proud of it, that’s when you’ve officially become a ****head." I am not sure where that happens, but it doesn't happen in my box, and doesn't seem to be happening based upon what I read on Crossfit affiliated websites like BrandX, or, even, crossfit.com. Of course, as the author states, you can't account for what every affiliate is doing.

In the end, all I know is that I like it, and it is working for me, so I'll continue to work with it.
  • sabes2631
    sabes2631 Posts: 403
    Options
    I am looking to add a dynamic to my running routine - I have done a full marathon and a half and now am training for another half in 5 weeks - To change it up a bit from the gym. I would like to tone different areas that are always ignored. I want to be able to do pull ups. MOST IMPORTANTLY - I need to strengthen my core from cervical to sacral - I have two compressed vertabra from horse back riding injuries that are old - but as my core weakens, I become rounded at my shoulders. SO tehre are alot of reasons for me to switch it up and learn something new....As far as mantras or fads - I am not into that ----

I do like Jillian Micheal's quote -"Unless you puke faint or are dead - DO NOT stop moving....." I need a an *kitten* kicking to get me off my slow gain plateau I am on:) I cant wait!!!!
  • stroutman81
    Options
    But the claim that "When you not only encourage bad form and injuries, but are proud of it, that’s when you’ve officially become a ****head." I am not sure where that happens, but it doesn't happen in my box, and doesn't seem to be happening based upon what I read on Crossfit affiliated websites like BrandX, or, even, crossfit.com. Of course, as the author states, you can't account for what every affiliate is doing.

There are always going to be outliers. I know a few affiliate CF owners and they run stand up shops and do very good by their clients. Where Matt is coming from with that statement is the fact that there are endless amounts of video on the net showing horrendous form and even on the CF forum, you've got people making ridiculous claims. I've got a few affiliates in my area and I've checked them all out.

One does a good job. The other three allow horrendous things to happen as far as form goes and as well as screening goes to identify client readiness, physically speaking.

I remember back when that very public incident of rhabdomyolysis at a CF shop came up... there were people on CF claiming the guy was "a *****" and blah blah blah.

You can see one article about this incident posted here:

http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=35664

Granted, you're always going to be dealing with clowns on any corner of the net, but it all screamed of unabashed, cult-like worship of a movement that really doesn't make a whole heckuvalotta sense the way it's typically applied.. We see these sort of movements happen time and again in this industry with The Next Best Thing coming out every few years.

That you've had a good experience would indicate you're lucky to have come across the CF shop you did, IMO. But again, that's just my opinion based on what I've seen.

Personally, my biggest beef is the "one size fits all" approach used even by the creator of CF. It simply doesn't fly in the face of science or application. I've been training people for just shy of a decade and if I trained using the CF principles, without all the fancy marketing and sycophantic worshipers to back me, my doors would be closed b/c I'd have more hurt clients than healthy.

Here's a post I made recently elsewhere on the net to someone inquiring about CF... figured some might appreciate yet another look at it from "the other side." And I should note, I know very well that many folks do well with CF. I'm not out trying to keep people from pursuing it and I'm not out to bash it relentlessly. With the right coach at the helm, I believe it can be implemented intelligently. I simply like to play devil's advocate, ESPECIALLY when we're dealing with something that's surrounded with this much zealotry.
    As for crossfit...

It has really taken a beating the last couple of years as being retarded. And in many contexts, it's a deserving title. Why?

From their website....

"We’ve used our same routines for elderly individuals with heart disease and cage fighters one month out from televised bouts"

When I first read this I thought to myself, "This has to be a joke." I mean seriously. If they honestly believe an MMA fighter 4 weeks out from a fight should be on the same program as an elderly individual with heart disease they are out of their minds and have no understanding whatsoever about how the human body works.

It is fundamentally flawed thinking to believe that having no structure to a program means it produces general results and this is better than specific. Doing everything at random doesn't mean you develop all sorts of different things optimally - this is simply not how the human body adapts to stress. There is no such thing as a jack of all trades physiologically speaking, an elite marathon runner will never be an elite powerlifter and vice versa.

Throwing a bunch of methods together at random doesn't mean the body gets better at everything and there are much better ways of progressively developing "general" fitness that will improve health than their haphazard approach.

Now many setups operate like this; Curves, BodyPump, etc, etc. And I don't generally agree with any of these blanket approaches either. That said, Crossfit's offense in this regard is grander given the intensity at which most crossfit programs are operating at and the movements involved. Due to the skill set required to do the movements typical of a crossfit workout proficiently and intensely, applying guidelines without proper screening, individualization, and specificity is not only absurd... it's also dangerous.

In a sense the lifts they do probably offer more benefit than the standard gym approach when done correctly. Then again performing heavy explosive lifts and training completely randomly without being physically prepared to do the things is a recipe for disaster in the long run. Taking a bunch of people, most of whom have little to no background in training outside of general health and fitness routines, and throwing them into an intense program of explosive and heavy lifts without any preparation work is one of the dumbest things you could possibly do.

It's one of the fastest growing segments of the fitness industry. Chains are popping up everywhere and people are buying into it like the gold rush. Invariably when such trends exist, you're going to see the sycophants come out to aggrandize popularity and belief.

I'll say someday I'd like if my gym looks like your typical crossfit gym. They have all the "right tools." It's the application of said tools that often leads me to cringe anytime I see a crossfit video on the net. That's sort of general though and I know for a fact there are "coaches" out there that apply crossfit-like programs in logical, safe, specific and productive ways.

Matt Perryman and I were actually just talking about this on another forum last week, actually. He's about the king of haters when it comes to fads in the fitness industry. And he's looking to open a gym soon and it will resemble a crossfit set up. But there's one glaringly obvious difference between what his gym will be and what most typical crossfit gyms are - the coach who's applying programs.

I do crossfit-esque stuff with many of my clients, even.

Unfortunately, crossfit gyms are run by crossfit certified coaches. Guess what it takes to call yourself that? About a grand and a few days. Gee willy... as if the barriers to entry in the fitness profession weren't terribly short already!

The point is, how it's popularly applied is garbage more than it's not. As with any other method of training, there are pros and cons. When a good coach takes a crossfit-esque style of training and magnifies the pros and minimizes the cons, it can be a great set up. Unfortunately, that's not what happens at most crossfit facilities.

Probably more than you wanted to hear, but I've been thinking about crossfit quite a bit lately so it was fresh on my mind.

Tell your friend she's free to sign up here and bounce whatever questions or ideas she might have off me.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Now see, I don't have the time to check out all of the Crossfit boxes in my area, but the one I went to to talk to the trainers was pretty knowledgeable, and watching a class I noted him correct form on multiple people, and even stop one person when their form continued to be unsatisfactory.

I guess it all comes down to where you go. I would have no problem working with the one near me, but if I were to see or hear some silly things going on, I'd probably have a completely different view. Expense WAS a big issue for me, it was about 100 bucks at the one I went to, I heard that and knew immediately that I wouldn't be joining, far to expensive when I can build my own workouts at my home gym (you'ed be amazed at how many things you can do with a good set of dumb bells, 1 pull up bar, a medicine ball, and a good weight bench) or at the park with some cones, a medicine ball, and a stop watch.

Course I'm more about functional targeted functional training than generalized training. I love building boot camps, but I tend to lean more towards one muscle group in them, which allows me to do 3 to 4 a week without wearing out too much because I'm giving each group essentially 2 or 3 days off. Sometimes I even like going back and looking at some of my early boot camps and really critiquing them to death (and some were pretty bad in the early going, I admit).