How often should Lift Wieghts

2»

Replies

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Hmm, it seems like you are working abs too much and not chest and biceps enough.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    I can bench 225 about 3 times. I have not worked on squat and deadlift yet, just all upper body. but i will add in lower body.

Please be joking... do you also only brush the front of your teeth and not the back ones?

That's all people see though, right? Screw the back ones.
  • Mavrick7a
    Mavrick7a Posts: 1,353
    You should mention how long you've been lifting for and some numbers and bw as that will give people more of an idea on what to recommend.

Personally, I'd stick to full body compounds 3x a week until you can squat/bench/dead 300/225/400 and then reassess specific targets from there.

I want to reduce my body fat so I can get ripped and more muscles showing. Any help would be good here is me.

Current Weight: 175
    height 5-10
    body fat now: 16%

goal weight: 170 to 175 (not sure yet, probably in the high 160s)
    goal body fat: 9-10%
    goal date: sometime in 2013 or early 2014

ideal look: model muscular

I been lifting for about 4-5 months.

I can bench 225 about 3 times. I have not worked on squat and deadlift yet, just all upper body. but i will add in lower body.

Currently, I am on a calorie decrease diet and lifting 4 days a week. I also run on rest days.

@goodoboy - Sounds like you are off to a great start! Ask 10 people for weight lifting advice, and will get 10 different answers. First off, I am neither a bodybuilder or power lifter, but have dabbled in both (as a teenager).

1. If you want to get leaner, you must adjust your diet. Talk to any athlete, bodybuilder, etc. You can't get ripped without the proper diet.
    2. Add more cardio. I run between 3 to 6 miles per day, everyday.
    3. see all the advice above. In order to grow, your body needs rest. If you just got started twice a week, hitting more body parts is better. You should be sore days after your workout, if so you need rest to build and grow. For me, I lift only once a week.
    4. I am wresling coach, ex-MMA fighter, MMA coach. Focus on building a stronger core. Cross fit training, P90x. Abs, back, and legs. Be careful with heavy squats and deadlifts. All of my mentors, now in their 40s and 50s have bad backs, knees, torn triceps, and pecs. Heavy isn't better.
    5. Weight lifting increases your metabolic rate, burning more calories. The negative is that you will get hungier, and you will also gain weight.
  • megandunn18
    megandunn18 Posts: 37 Member
    I want to reduce my body fat so I can get ripped and more muscles showing. Any help would be good here is me.

Current Weight: 175
    height 5-10
    body fat now: 16%

goal weight: 170 to 175 (not sure yet, probably in the high 160s)
    goal body fat: 9-10%
    goal date: sometime in 2013 or early 2014

ideal look: model muscular

I been lifting for about 4-5 months.

Currently, I am on a calorie decrease diet and lifting 4 days a week. I also run on rest days.

Ok so if you want to get "model muscular" you're probably not going to be losing a ton of weight. Just be warned, so you don't freak out when you start gaining weight from lifting.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Strong lifts or starting strength.

Calorie deficit

Adequate protein and fat

Patience :-)