1/2 Lemon
75 Grams Ginger

the end result was a shocker in calories:

Carbs 51
Fat 2
Protein 7
Fibre 18
Sodium 129

Total calories = 256 for 16 ounces, that's a third of my daily carbs, something I will not be doing in a hurry.

Replies

• thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that unless you are using a blender you aren't getting all those nutrients... I know a decent amount of the fiber will be left behind in a juicer. Not sure about the carbs. Carbs aren't evil though!
  • rebelate
    rebelate Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I really don't understand why people seem shocked and wind up so stressed over nutrient content in fruits and veggies - especially carbs and sugar.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I juiced the following:

1 Gala Apple
    1 Whole English Cucumber - 442-460 grams
    2 Medium Stalks Celery
    1/2 Lemon
    75 Grams Ginger

Carbs 51
    Fat 2
    Protein 7
    Fibre 18
    Sodium 129

Total calories = 256 for 16 ounces, that's a third of my daily carbs, something I will not be doing in a hurry.

1) why are you juicing?
    2) why are you afraid of carbs?
  • Fat2FitChick
    Fat2FitChick Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Because regardless of where the carbs/sugar come from, they cause spikes in insulin and that is what causes your body to store fat. Even if something is healthy, it doesn't mean it can't cause problems when trying to lose weight.
  • WinnerVictorious
    Options
    Because regardless of where the carbs/sugar come from, they cause spikes in insulin and that is what causes your body to store fat. Even if something is healthy, it doesn't mean it can't cause problems when trying to lose weight.

nope.

unless somebody has diabetes or similar medical condition, there is no reason to worry about carbs and sugars. so long as you meet your daily macro requirements and calorie goals, carbs won't make you fat.

http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2011/08/carbohydrate-hypothesis-of-obesity.html
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/817143-insulin-low-carbs-gary-taubes-and-james-krieger
  • slroggemann
    slroggemann Posts: 168 Member
    Options

nope.

unless somebody has diabetes or similar medical condition, there is no reason to worry about carbs and sugars. so long as you meet your daily macro requirements and calorie goals, carbs won't make you fat.

from a nutrition standpoint, winnervictori hit it spot on.
  • rcnsmith
    rcnsmith Posts: 15
    Options
    I found that if i add all the calories in my juices then It would be so much higher than my recommended. However I seem to lose weight much faster than when I was eating regular foods and staying under. As such I wouldnt worry so much about it
  • epros39
    epros39 Posts: 17
    Options
    I will never beat myself up over sugars and carbs from fruits and veggie; cookies- i would.
  • WinnerVictorious
    Options
    I found that if i add all the calories in my juices then It would be so much higher than my recommended. However I seem to lose weight much faster than when I was eating regular foods and staying under. As such I wouldnt worry so much about it

you're losing water weight which will come back as soon as you stop the juicing (assuming you are only ingesting juices)
  • WinnerVictorious
    Options
    I will never beat myself up over sugars and carbs from fruits and veggie; cookies- i would.

do you think 100g of carbs from cookies is different than 100g of carbs from apples?

forgetting the additional nutrients in each food item, just focusing on the carbs. what's the difference?
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I juiced the following:

1 Gala Apple
    1 Whole English Cucumber - 442-460 grams
    2 Medium Stalks Celery
    1/2 Lemon
    75 Grams Ginger

Carbs 51
    Fat 2
    Protein 7
    Fibre 18
    Sodium 129

you aren't actually getting all those carbs... what do you think the pulp is made of?
  • suv_hater
    suv_hater Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    What did I click on.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    The juice was pulp free, that's why I was surprised at the numbers.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I am juicing before I love to drink my own home made juice first thing in the mornings. My carbs intake is set at 150.
  • Erica_theRedhead
    Erica_theRedhead Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Complex carbs don't equal simple carbs. Complex carbs are in fruits and veggies, simple carbs are in processed foods/sweet food. Complex carbs contain other necessary nutrients like fiber, minerals, and vitamins, and cause a relatively low spike in insulin levels. They take longer to digest, keep you fuller for longer, and help supplement your body functions, especially when working out.

Drink up that juice or shake, it's good for you.
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Complex carbs don't equal simple carbs. Complex carbs are in fruits and veggies, simple carbs are in processed foods/sweet food. Complex carbs contain other necessary nutrients like fiber, minerals, and vitamins, and cause a relatively low spike in insulin levels. They take longer to digest, keep you fuller for longer, and help supplement your body functions, especially when working out.

Great Scott...someone who understands that there is more than one kind of carb!!!

I will also add to this helpful info that complex carbs can actually help regulate your sugars :)
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    IIFYM??
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I don't really get juicing. All of the things you listed are delicious on their own - except the lemon and ginger which I season with all the time. Why would you go to the trouble of juicing it when you could just wash and eat? I don't worry about the sugar - I would much rather get my carbs from fruits and veggies instead of processed junk!
  • felcandy
    felcandy Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    thats not even that many calories. fruit smoothies that are made as meal replacements can be 600+ calories, if you are "juicing" and replacing a meal with a drink, that doesnt seem like enough.
  • kizzykat60
    kizzykat60 Posts: 5 Member
    Options

Very well said! I did not eat enough carbs the other day and what a mess I was after a hard workout.