Fat, Over 50, Post-Menopausal. Tips anyone??

Options
Hi There,

I'm brand new here and just starting my new "life-style change". My niece said NO D*** word! ha!

I'm 56 years old, post menopausal, and have autoimmune diseases. I have Lupus, Rheumatoid, and Fibromyalgia, and take mecations for these. Diet and exercising is NOT easy for me! I am also hypothyroid and take meds for that.

I admit I have been eating crap for the past 4-5 years. Too much carbs and sugar, not enough veggies, fruits, protein. I'm working on changing that. I now weigh 195 and need to lose down to 145 for my 5'8" height. My highest was 215 when I found out my thyroid wasn't working right. After starting meds for that, I lost down to 195 and have stayed there.

I am just starting a new exercise program at my church, in the weight room. they have many differerent weight machines, and I have started doing about 6 of them now. I do 12 reps, and will go up to 2 sets this week, and I go 3 times a week. I have to be careful of my joints because of the arthritis. I have had 3 shoulder surgeries, including a total shoulder replacement on the left one. Jogging or running, jumping, or anything like that is out. so are push-ups because of my shoulders.

My neice suggested the Gazelle exercise machine because it is cardio and no no pounding on my joints. Anyone use that?

Any Tips or suggestions ffrom other members with similar conditions would be so helpful.
Thanks!!
Kay

Replies

• ladytinkerbell99
    ladytinkerbell99 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    Hi Kay,

I am around your age and can relate to what you stated. I found that getting outside and walking to be the best for my joints.
    I know we are all different. For me, the combination of cardio (walking) and the fresh air helps me succeed.

Good luck. :flowerforyou:

If you want a friend, you can add me.
  • 2aycocks
    2aycocks Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    How do I add a friend?

Never mind, I just saw it.
  • traceyjj
    traceyjj Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Good luck on your journey.

Do you have access to a swimming pool? If so, you could consider walking or jogging in the water, or even swimming or aqua aerobics. I have a bad knee, and I can do all of those exercises without causing any pain in my knee.
  • 2aycocks
    Options
    As of right now I don't. when financial able, I may can join a place that has the indoor pool for exercising. that would be great.
  • Angiebabe2
    Options
    Work on feeding your body the good stuff it is amazing how much better you will feel when you eat good protein fruit and veg

Your body has a lot to cope with plus I imagine some serious medication so it needs nurturing think of it as spoiling yourself

You can still count the calories but make sure each one you put in your mouth really does count

Research vit supplements or ask your dr

Drink plenty of water

A little exercise that you can keep doing is way better than pushing yourself so hard you give up

The best starting advice I got was to find a healthy breakfast you like include lots of nutrients and eat that every day so when you get up in the morning you dont even have to think about it and voila you have started the day well. I have porridge seeds nuts prunes frozen blueberriesand soya milk with acai powder and cinamon stirred in- a big cocktail of antiinflammatory foods to hit my pmr.

Lunch i try to include a homemade veg and lentil soup - make enough on sunday for the week plus a salad etc

Dinner then becomes the place where you get more variety

Choice is my undoing so this structure works for me and it ensures i get a slug of antiinflammatory foods throughout the day

Good luck it isnt easy having these conditions but i have lost 4st whilst taking steroids so far and I too am over 50 - i like to think of us as the creme de la creme of mfp!
  • 2aycocks
    Options
    Angebabe2,

You have some great advice. May I ask where you got you recipes for the soups and which foods are good antiinflammatory?
  • Angiebabe2
    Options
    Your best bet is to google antiinflammatory diets and you will probaly get a guy called Weile come up who is a good introduction but there is a lot of info out there. Like all these things dont take it all as gospel but pick out the bits that make sense to you but cinamon tumeric ginger garlic chili peppers all help - unfortunately sugar doesnt and increases inflammation.

Have a read around but it is basically a healthy mediterranean style diet. Personally I try and avoid too much wheat or dairy but that is me I feel better for it. As i say lots of good fruit and veg oily fish twice a week and lean meats. Avoid the salty things.

Just take a little step at a time until you reach a balance that suits you. For me it has worked and I think I have been able to be more mobile and reduce the drugs as a result but not sure how you can scientifically measure this but "i know" it is right for me.

Destressing is really important Im not at all new wave and six months ago you wouldnt have ever heard me say this but I go to tai chi classes and practice meditation -amazing!

Good luck when you are young you dont always value your health I didnt take care of myself enough and am now clawing my way back to good health and suprisingly am enjoying the journey well most of the time!
  • oskybosky4
    Options
    I can completely relate to you, I have psoriatic arthritis, very similar to Rheumatoid. I have 2 knee and 1 hip replacement and the other hip is deteriorating now. I have managed to loose 14 lbs in the last 8 weeks by being very careful over portion sizes, cutting out the 'crap' and filling in the food diary in MFP, which has been an enormous help.

I find walking difficult and slow. My energy levels are not grear and I don't sleep to well either. However I have started to use an exercise bike, as this is less stressful on the joints. I can't manage more than 10 mins at a time but hope to build up. I have been doing some of the physio type strengthening exercises as well.

If you are in england, you might ask your doctor to refer you to the NHS weight management programme, I go to a group meeting once a week and there is a dietician and a physio there to talk about healthy eating and show us the exercises for cardio and strength. The group is also great fun as everyone is in the 'same boat' , all tired of dieting most of their lives, and wanting to change their whole outlook on eating. It is nothing like Weightwatchers or Slimming world - the word diet is never mentioned.

Good luck with your weight loss - if I can do it anyone can.
  • nyaladreamer
    nyaladreamer Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm with ya too (arthritis)- plenty of us out there and support here is great. I started easy on the exercise with walking, focusing on diet (what AngieBabe says is spot on--increase your good spices like tumeric and ginger for anti-inflammatory benefits). I have been adding more and more exercise in since I've lost some weight and now I want to move more. Water water water-- take it with you everywhere to lubricate your joints and body. Eat "clean" foods- takes time to do that but you will feel so much better (my husband has lupus and he has had fewer flare-ups eating right and drinking water). Ditch sodas (even diet ones) and watch your artificial sweeteners. You do have to be careful physically with all your past injuries, so take it slow and build up as you can.