Trying to run

I wanna run, but for some reason I quit after about 2 mins because I can't breath. Is there anything or techniques to help me?

Replies

• scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    You have to slow down to where you can breathe. Eventually, as you get in shape, you will get faster.
  • NAMsMommy
    NAMsMommy Posts: 132 Member
    Maybe start with some intervals (the couch2-5k is great with those). That is what seriously helped me. Takes time but it's worth it.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    I would suggest warming up for 5 minutes with a brisk walk. Then trying running for 60 seconds. Then walk for 2 minutes. Something like that to get going. If you can walk 2 miles, I would even try C25K. Apps, plans and prompts are all online for free.

Also get some good running shoes fitted at a running store. Don't ruin the fun with an injury.
  • CLFrancois
    CLFrancois Posts: 472 Member
    Slow down. Best advice.
    I run but there is no way someone could throw me in a marathon and I would make it out alive.
    Intervals are great too.
  • debraran1
    debraran1 Posts: 521 Member
    I have to start over again when I lose some more weight (less on knees) but when I ran years ago and worked up to a marathon (never again) I thought it would never happen, that first mile. I thought I had asthma, but I was just out of shape. As others said, take it slow, run/walk until running is a bit more...push yourself a little bit when you want to stop, but respect your body.
    One day, you'll see, you'll run longer....but don't let that fool you...you'll have days, when you feel you went backwards and that's okay. Just do what you can do, everyday is a fresh start.
  • I went from not being able to walk 1 mile to running 25 minutes straight in 2 months. All thanks to c25k!
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Keep trying, slow down, adjust your pace, take the advice of those before me... but keep running by adding a few minutes or seconds to each session.

The first time I ran, I ran for 3 minutes and I thought I was going die.... my legs hurt, my chest hurt, I couldn't breathe... But the next day I went out and ran for 3 minutes and 30 seconds. Took me months, but eventually I was able to run 3 miles (5K) without stopping.
  • lesliefoste
    lesliefoste Posts: 137 Member
    I agree- you're trying to go too fast. Start sloooooow, and speed up as you can.
  • Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    First of all the C25K program is a great beginner runner program teaching you to gradually build up your distance/pace.

As far as the breathing thing here are tips that work for me

1) Slow Down
    2) Breathe in/out through your mouth, you won't get enough air through your nose
    3) Count to three breathing in, and exhale counting to three - all through your mouth
    4) Slow Down, when I started I was barely a fast walk, but it worked to get the breathing thing down
    5) Don't slouch, keep your head up. I typically look at the treeline or horizon (I run outdoors)
    6) Did I mention slow down?
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    you need to build into it gradually.

google ' c25k' and enjoy a whole new lifestyle :-)
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Try the C25K (couch to 5K) program. It's amazing. When I first started the 1-minute runs had me out of breath. Now I can run for 40 minutes straight.
  • Slow down!
    You wont be able to run right off for very long, none of us can. Couch to 5k is a great interval program. There are many good ones out there.
  • rumplesnat
    rumplesnat Posts: 372
    I went from not being able to walk 1 mile to running 25 minutes straight in 2 months. All thanks to c25k!
    Same here! Slow down, but just keep going!!!
  • Sparlingo
    Sparlingo Posts: 938 Member
    Also, throw in other cardio/endurance activity to switch it up if you find working on your running to be too tedious at present.

I've been doing primarily Zumba, with some treadmill and some elliptical, but have noticed that while I used to run 5 min and think I was dying, I can now run 45 minutes relatively comfortably.
  • paulajed
    paulajed Posts: 21
    The above suggestions are all really great advice.

For me- it was controlling my breathing instead of letting my breathing control me- I was gasping, side stitches, feeling like I was going to pass out, spitting and sputtering..... It was not because I was working too hard- it was because I was not taking control of my respiration.

I literally focus on my breathing rhythm, more so that anything else while running- I personally breath in for two paces and out for 2 paces- another poster above suggested 3/3- I do not think the "Number" is important- it is what makes you feel most comfortable and then maintaining that rhythm so you are in sync with your pace. I started my running Journey on March 1st- today I ran for 5 miles solid.