How to get accurate TDEE?

Options
So I've been plateaued for over 6 weeks now. I increased my calories from 1270 to 1520 around 6 weeks ago also. I thought i was cutting around 15% from my TDEE. But now i have no idea what calculator is correct. I originally used Scooby's calorie calculator found here: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ But someone recommended this one: http://www.health-calc.com/diet/energy-expenditure-advanced and my TDEE is very different on each site. A 15% cut according to scooby's is 1475 and the other one says it would be 1634. THESE ARE VERY DIFFERENT NUMBERS. I don't really know which one to follow. Does anyone know how to accurately calculate your TDEE?

Scooby's:
TDEE:1736
15% cut:1475

Health Calc:
TDEE:1922
15% cut:1634

My stats:
Height:5'5
Start weight: 148
Current weight:136
Goal weight:125

Replies

• Bettyeditor
    Bettyeditor Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    So I've been plateaued for over 6 weeks now. I increased my calories from 1270 to 1520 around 6 weeks ago also. I thought i was cutting around 15% from my TDEE. But now i have no idea what calculator is correct. I originally used Scooby's calorie calculator found here: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ But someone recommended this one: http://www.health-calc.com/diet/energy-expenditure-advanced and my TDEE is very different on each site. A 15% cut according to scooby's is 1475 and the other one says it would be 1634. THESE ARE VERY DIFFERENT NUMBERS. I don't really know which one to follow. Does anyone know how to accurately calculate your TDEE?

Scooby's:
    TDEE:1736
    15% cut:1475

Health Calc:
    TDEE:1922
    15% cut:1634

My stats:
    Height:5'5
    Start weight: 148
    Current weight:136
    Goal weight:125

Hi Alex,

With the caveat that I am the least possible expert on this topic (someone just pointed out today how I am doing it all wrong) so don't rely on my advice, but I will share a tool I found helpful and maybe others can chime in and validate if it is a useful tool or not:

http://www.1percentedge.com/ifcalc/

What I love about this calculator is that if you don't enter bodyfat % it will choose the Miffline-St. Jeor formula (best one to estimate if you don't know BF) but it will use Katch-McArdle formula if you do know bodyfat %. I bought a scale that gives me bodyfat % just so I could get a really accurate BMR. And I use a Fitbit so that I can get a really accurate TDEE (minus workouts). And I use a HRM with workouts so I can get really accurate exercise calories (MFP is notorious for over-estimating workout calorie burn).

I find this tool easy to use and adjust. I have also used it to calculate what my TDEE will be someday when I get to goal weight. One caveat: The macros on the 3rd step are pretty wonky. I won't recommend that you follow them. The tool is geared towards weight lifters who adjust their macros on workout days versus rest days. I aim for 40/30/30 (carbs/protein/fat) personally for my macros. But it is nice to adjust the "% under TDEE" slider and see how it affects my projected weight loss. And the final step/screen that shows how long to reach my goal. This tool can also help you calculate how it can affect your goal over time if you add or subtract a workout.

I hope that others reply to this thread too and give you some great info! Good luck to you Alex! :flowerforyou:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Something you have to keep in mind is that any number these calorie counters give you are estimates and should be used as a starting point, not etched in stone. According to most calculators and my activity level, my TDEE should be around 2700-2800 calories...through trial and error, I've determined that my true TDEE is more like 2400-2500.

Me personally...I'd go with the lower and do your 15% cut and go from there. This is largely a process of trial and error and dialing in your appropriate calories.
  • tracieangeletti
    tracieangeletti Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I have a friend that swears by health-calc and I've been using Fat2FitRadio.com calculator. They give me very different numbers but I think I might have figured out why. Health-calc has my TDEE at 2661 calories and Fat2FitRadio.com has it at 2015 calories. HUGE difference, but how they *kitten* your activity is completely different. Health-calc has you input exactly how much time you spend doing different activities at different intensities. It asked how many minutes I exercise at different intensities, where Fat2FitRadio.com asks how many days a week I workout and doesn't go into other activities. So that is where the difference is. Now I'm confused to as to which is more accurate. Six hundred calories is a huge difference and I've been eating at a deficit from my TDEE on Fat2Fit. Am I under eating then??Hmmm...
  • tracieangeletti
    tracieangeletti Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    bump