Family Style Dinner

Options
Hello. Today is my first day, and I did good except for dinner. Our family dinner is served family style, and this is something that will not change. I am having a hard time not grabbing seconds and thirds. I know I need to prepare my meal and not grab more. Feedback and suggestions are welcome. Thank you!

Replies

• hikr00
    hikr00 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Eat slower. That helps me a lot. Plus I realize I'm full a lot quicker than when I wolf my food down.

Another thing is when I'm done my portion I toss my napkin over my plate. It's a visual reminder if I start to head for seconds that I've already had my allotted amount so that tends to stop me in my tracks. Otherwise it comes down to (for me) that I want to lose the weight more than I want XYZ etc.
  • kMcMahan2010
    Options
    I have this issue when I eat at my mom's house (at my house, I can generally control it). What I do is just get seconds of whatever veggie is made, and if I'm really wanting more *rice, potato, etc* I just do a tiny extra bit, 1-2 tablespoons. Once I'm finished I put my napkin on my plate to signal to myself that I am done (we wait for the rest of the family to finish before getting up) so I don't continue getting seconds, thirds, etc, just because I'm bored.
  • woodwardtm
    woodwardtm Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Have a glass of water before sitting down to dinner. It will help you to feel full. Also drink a full glass before going for seconds. The time it takes you to drink it will give others time to finish and help you to realize that you probably are really not still hungry. Your tummy will adjust in time as will you. ;-)
  • anaduffy
    anaduffy Posts: 74
    Options
    I drink water before I eat then if I don't feel like I've had enough I drink another after I finish and a I drink it slowly to keep myself occupied.