Can't Eat all of Cals because of medication?

Options
I was considered obese and when I gained a bunch of weight, I had a bunch of thyroid problems that left me feeling tired all of the time. The doctor tested me and put me on medication (I was hypo) to get it under control, which we did and I am maintaining it on medication. The tiredness never left, so she put me on Topamax which is a migraine medicine that you take every time which causes loss of appetite. Normally the dosage I'm on wouldn't do anything by itself and usually it doesn't, but it didn't help my tiredness that much (did give me a little bit more energy).

The doctor suggested Adipex (which I have taken before, and has made me utterly sick), so it was ruled out, and she gave me Adderall to help give me a burst of energy in the second half of the day when I feel the most tired. NORMALLY alone it wouldn't do anything to my appetite but together with the Topamax, it's completely killed my appetite, and I find it extremely difficult to eat even 1000 calories a day.

The sad part is, that I know the Adderall will need to be bumped up because I’m still exhausted and not getting the energy from it like I should be (despite getting the rest), which will only make it worse. When I do eat something, and I mean anything, it feels like I constantly overeat regardless of what it is and I feel all bloated despite my entire intake including my sodium being WELL below normal. I could eat only 3 OZ of chicken and feel so bloated afterwards that my pants are tight (when they were loose before).

I know I’m not eating as much as I should be, but I feel like literally if I try to eat THAT much food, I’ll get sick. Most medications’ that offer any kind of energy or are used as a stimulant have a side effect of loss of appetite. What should I do? Kind of feel like I'm between a rock and a hard place. Damned if I do, and damned if I don't.

And because anyone states exercises as a source of energy, it doesn't work like that for me. I've been dealing with this for YEARS and all the doctors have no idea what is wrong with me. I used to be 175 and heading to the gym 6-7 days a week, and instead of getting energy from the gym, I'd be so exhausted I'd go straight to bed afterwards. Some days I can't even lift my head (seriously) because it's so heavy.

Replies

• melodycurrier
    Options
    After having to deal with many of my own health problems something I would suggest is 1. don't give up and 2. be active in your treatment....by this I mean get out there and read all you can. Start with what you know you have. Read all you can find on it. You may find something with your illness that you didn't know that may explain why you feel like you do. You can't believe all that you read but even things that may not be true may take you to something that does. Hope you find what will help you good luck!!!
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    You're taking an anticonvulsant and an amphetamine, it's hardly surprising you feel like ****, as the comedown from speed is appalling.

See your doctor again.
  • prettysenshi
    prettysenshi Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Melody! I think I will investigate and see what is out there and try to educate myself. Until then, I will not give up!
  • cindygretz
    Options
    I would direct some attention toward hypothyroidism and understanding your test results and what they mean. My doctor and I went around and around over my supplement dosage. I felt like crap, hair dry, skin dry, nails brittle, depression, heart palpitations, an episode of A-fib, and the rest of the list. He refused to even refer me to an endocrinologist so I got a new doctor.

Instead of following the old boys club rule of 'everyone's levels should be here' we discussed it and upped my dosage a little at a time until I felt good again.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    You're taking an anticonvulsant and an amphetamine, it's hardly surprising you feel like ****, as the comedown from speed is appalling.

See your doctor again.

This. Both of those medications have loss of appetite as common side effects. One medication might be workable - both with that side effect could lead to health problems.

You could try non-stimulant ADD meds or extended release forms of it. That usually helps the appetite levels. If you're on Topamax for migraines, you could also look into Amitryptiline. Weight GAIN is a possible side effect, but if you're on the Adderal, it might even out.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I had a very similar experience with adipex. They gave it to me for bone-crushing fatigue (lupus/fibromyalgia). I did have to force myself to eat while taking it. First, try smoothies. They're a great way to get calories and you can drink them gradually. Second, try working in more calorie dense foods. Avocado, nuts/nut butters, full fat dairy, etc. Don't buy "diet" anything. And do ask your doctor if there's anything else you can try that might have less side effects. I ended up taking adipex for a couple of months and finally I couldn't do it anymore. By that time, thankfully I was able to quit my job and it became less of an issue. Good luck! :flowerforyou: