...paved with good intentions...

thechurchlady
thechurchlady Posts: 52
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
I have great intentions...but, alas, I do not have the strength or determination to carry them through to completion.

I am tired of trying to follow a 'diet'. All of my time is focused on food, and what I should eat, and what I shouldn't eat. How many carbs does this have, and how many grams of sugar does that have? If I eat this, what do I have to give up for the rest of the day? It's not even about whether I am hungry or not. It's about what I should eat, and when.

I want food not to be the biggest focus of my life, or not even an issue in my life. I need to eat to live, but my whole life should not revolve around food.

Here is a new approach I am taking. I will stock my house with foods I can safely and healthfully eat, remove any thing I can't, and when I get hungry, eat! Whatever's there, and whatever I want. Could this possibly work?

Replies

• stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Best to you!

I recommend picking up two books to buffer this mindset shift you're embarking on:

1. Volumetrics

2. Mindless Eating
  • DeathIsMyGift
    DeathIsMyGift Posts: 434 Member
    That will absolutely work. If you like to eat, as I do, get rid of the unhealthy things that you like to indulge in and substitute them with healthier things. Don't get caught up in "how much of this" and "Am I allowed this today?"....focus your energy on your workouts. Once you see a drop in your weight (and it won't take that long!) you will be motivated to continue with the healthy food. It gets easier once you get into it. It's about a mindset and a lifestyle change. If my fat *kitten* can do it, ANY ONE can. Trust me, I'm super lazy but now I look forward to my work outs. Just don't give up. It takes time but you WILL see results. Guaranteed.
  • raycole83
    raycole83 Posts: 28
    I think it'll work to a certain extent. I mean, sure you can eat all the healthy food you want, but you'll still have to track the total calorie intake. So either way, it's pretty much a lose-lose situation... I just figured that no matter what I eat, I HAVE to track it. Then I hit the gym at the end of the day and work my rear off until I'm satisfied with the calories I burned.
  • valligator
    valligator Posts: 54 Member
    Personally, it doesn't work for me. I have a house full of healthy foods for years now and never lost weight. Sometimes it's not what you're eating, but how much you're eating. I've found this site to be really helpful. What works best for me is to enter all the food I'll be eating the next day the night before. Then if I want ice cream or something that's not exactly healthy, I put it on there. Then I know how much I need to work out to be able to enjoy the foods I like to eat - healthy and not so healthy. It's a very realistic approach to weight loss. Just because your house if full of healthy foods, doesn't mean you won't be faced with temptations when you're out and about. By tracking it and exercising (if you're able to do so), you really don't have to sacrifice much. Just my opinion - it works for me. :) I think having a house full of healthy foods is a good start - and maybe it'll work for you (it would be nice if it did). It just didn't work for me.

Good luck!
    -valerie
  • tutujoli
    tutujoli Posts: 104 Member
    I think that works at the end of a journey, but doing it at the beginning makes me scared for you.

Look at the quote in your signature. You CAN do this!!!

What if you make it so you can be on "Autopilot" all day?

I log my food the night before. It takes me about 10 minutes, but it means that I don't have to think about it again until its time to log the next day. So I am on autopilot for 23 hours and 50 minutes of my day, and only spend 10 thinking about food and food choices.
  • selbyhutch
    selbyhutch Posts: 531 Member
    Who's to say? It depends on what kind of person you are. I like list-making, scheules, routines, discipline... so the logging and analyzing works for me.

I think you also need to sit down and really decide if you are ready to make changes. What are the reasons? Who are the people in your life this will affect? How is your health? Just make sure you have your priorities in order and your head in the game.
  • good answers!

I have never been one with an issue of how much I eat, but what I eat.... I have been playing with this idea for a while, but now think I need to get really serious. Fresh fruits, vegetables, and meats only. Whole grain breads/pasta. Nothing with preservatives.

I'll let you know next week how it worked!
  • lilmissy2
    lilmissy2 Posts: 595 Member
    If the problem is with the types of foods rather than portions then this could definitely work.

There is a great book that I've not read but heard very positive things about called 'If not dieting, then what?' and from what I've heard it basically talks about spending a large proportion of life being a slave to food... and it touches on self esteem etc. Kind of like, some people will spend their whole lives thinking 'if only I could be skinny, my life would be better' - not necessarily overweight people either - and essentially spend their whole life trying to diet rather than actually living. I quite like the concept.
This discussion has been closed.