Turkey breast

Options
jonnythan
jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
Do people really eat this stuff?

I bought a package of turkey breast filets. They cost about 30% more than chicken breast. I thought, hey, nice change of pace, a little more protein per ounce, etc. Turkey is good right? So I put a little olive oil on one, sprinkled on some Mrs. Dash, and tossed it in the oven like I would chicken breast.

Smells good, looks good! Tastes good, too, right? Good lord. This stuff is more bland than chicken! Than CHICKEN! Why would I pay more money for this?

What am I supposed to do with the rest of these? Marinate them for a week?

Replies

• _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    I like turkey. But I get that lots of peeps find it bland. Cut it into strips and stir fry or make turkey fajitas are good options if you want to add flavour.
  • pspetralia
    pspetralia Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I like it in stir fry or breaded and sautéed in olive oil
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    They roll up nicely. You can stuff them with all kinds of things--like, ricotta and mozzarella, then top with marinara and bake. Or asparagus and Swiss cheese would be nice for this time of year. Or just about anything you can think of--veggies, cheeses, stuffing.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Oh I forgot I had shredded cheese! That may have helped. Dang.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Turkey soup. Add sage.
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    Cranberry sauce! Every day is Thanksgiving day! Slap that on a dinner roll with a layer of potatoes, gravy, stuffing and cream corn and you have Fun On A Bun. I look forward to leftovers in fun on a bun more than I enjoy the actual thanksgiving meal. There's just something about squishing it all into a dinner roll...
  • cmccorma
    cmccorma Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Island Soyaki (if you live near a trader joes) or any garlicky teryaki sauce. Marinate and then put on grill!
  • Coyoteldy
    Coyoteldy Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I love Turkey breast.. cannot eat chicken breast... I raost mine with a bit of garlic, olive oil and onion powder, you can also roast it with fresh onions garlic and celery, all of which add flavors...it really does depend on what seasoning you use.. I will also often leave the skin on for added flavor and then toss it..experiment! It is a low calorie good source of protein!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    It's better to buy with the bone in and roast it. Then you can do whatever you want with it... I like it as a sandwich or wrap with avocado and tomato.
  • fishhawk1400
    fishhawk1400 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    try it in a low salt brine. I like apple juice. I put it on my pellet smoker . It turns out awesome and is juicy
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Do people really eat this stuff?

I bought a package of turkey breast filets. They cost about 30% more than chicken breast. I thought, hey, nice change of pace, a little more protein per ounce, etc. Turkey is good right? So I put a little olive oil on one, sprinkled on some Mrs. Dash, and tossed it in the oven like I would chicken breast.

Smells good, looks good! Tastes good, too, right? Good lord. This stuff is more bland than chicken! Than CHICKEN! Why would I pay more money for this?

What am I supposed to do with the rest of these? Marinate them for a week?

Goes well in curries. That's what my Mum does with her leftovers after Christmas. Something punchy like a Madras or a Kahari should blow your tastebuds out of your nose and make you forget how bland that nasty old turkey is!