Do You Need a Camera Up Your Bum?

Options
Bad heading i know, but still

So i just got back from my doctors and got the results from my blood tests that apparently say there is a 'very high' chance that i am coeliac (ie gluten intolerant... im not an intolerant person, but i guess my stomach is)

I have to choice to confirm that i am in fact coeliac by having a gastroscopy (camera put down into your stomach through your mouth) and a colonoscopy (camera put into your intestines through your bum)

So heres my question - do you think it is worth confirming the diagnosis or just taking the 'very high chance' and indicating that i am?

Factors affecting my decision
The test may be expensive and i an a uni student so thus dont have much money, although i do have private health insurance, im not sure if it is completely covered
Not overly thrilled with these types of tests as they are uncomfortable and you arent fully sedated
To have the tests mean i have to heep eating gluten up until that point so may remain being sick for a while if it is the cause

I am vegan and allergic to rice, potatoes, mushrooms, many spices, goji berries and pomegranates (among other things) so my dietary intake is already quite limited, thus cutting out gluten will again reduce the range of foods i can eat
I have been quite sick for the past few months and really want it to stop
I could just try eating gluten free for a while and if that helps assume i am coeliac

What do you think i should do?
Worth getting the test done?
Has anyone had them done and what are your thoughts?

Thanks so much everyone!

Replies

• My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Lmao I don't want anything up my bum
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    In just to have this on my feed.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Need? No. Want...debatable. Depends on how much the reality tv show is going to pay.
  • artickb22
    artickb22 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    unless there are other symptoms or problems you are having that could be related to something other than gluten intolerance I say put it off. Try the 'gluten free' thing for a month or so and if it improves then great, if not, get it checked out!

If one were to get a camera up their bum...wander if you could get a dvd copy of that...hmmmmm? LOL
  • timpicks
    timpicks Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    If you're trolling, you got me 'cause I'll answer you seriously. Can't comment on the medical aspects but if it is any consolation, I've had two colonoscopies and they were totally painless--they're not using a big old Nikon or anything.

The first one I had was interesting. They got me all ready in a medical gown and administered the anesthesia, telling me to count down from 20. OK, 20, 19, 18, and then bang I was sitting upright fully dressed. What the...!? How'd I get dressed? So while I wasn't fully sedated, I lost time completely and didn't feel a thing.

If you can swing it financially and it makes sense medically, don't shy away because of the discomfort. The worst part is cleaning out your system the night before. The test itself is not bad at all.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Couldnt you find out the same thing by some kind of process of elimination method. (no pun intended. for real).

but like just eliminate all possible offenders then reintroduce each to your diet for a short time and see if it affects you one by one.
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    I once said I'll try anything once. I am not so sure anymore.
  • rtwinrn06
    rtwinrn06 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    An EGD or colonoscopy is the best way to diagnose intolerance. Insurance usually covers diagnostic scopes, not to sure tho-don't work with insurance too much. It is a very simple procedure, we do them in the hospital at bedside a lot. You are put under "concious sedation"...means you are awake for the procedure and can follow simple commands and don't require intubation, but you are given a medication to cause a kind of temporary amnesia so you don't remember it. If you are really concerned about it, have the test done. If you think you can do without it, try eliminating things from your diet for a few weeks at a time and see if you have any improvement. Good luck either way.
  • tiddlebit11
    tiddlebit11 Posts: 182
    Options
    Just to note - this os 100% legit

And im in Aus...if that helps with anyones knowledge of health care and the like :)
  • error_number_404
    Options
    its worth it because there wont be that voice in the back of your mind saying "i prob dont even have celiac, its ok to eat this, its only a little bit so it wont even matter that much." having it confirmed for certain that you cant have gluten would help you not eat the stuff thats bad for you.

i had those tests done and they're not all that bad. and the sedatives they give u are nice lol.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    If I were having the same kinds of problems, I would do it. But then, I have a friend with Crohn's disease, which is often mistaken for celiac and other digestive disorders. Because he and his family didn't press for a solid diagnosis he landed in the hospital numerous times, finally having a good chunk of intestine removed. Only during surgery was he finally diagnosed.