fear of insanity

Options
I want to do a few insanity videos again to mix in with attempting to lift weights, but it frightens me. A couple of years ago I started insanity and was doing ok with it. I wasn't really loosing weight or inches, but I was exercising the best I could with it and improving on the fit tests. After a few weeks, I woke up and my ankles hurt so bad i could hardly go down the stairs; they were very swollen too (and I didn't even get swollen ankles when I was pregnant). My hands hurt really bad and were so swollen I couldn't even make a fist. I blamed myself, that I was too unfit to follow an exercise program, that my body couldn't handle it, etc. I felt like I had failed. A few days later I finally went to the doctor and it turned out I had lyme disease (yuck). I know realistically that I didn't "fail" at insanity, that it wasn't because my body was too weak for it, but when I look at my insanity videos I still feel the sense of failure... Anyway, if I dare start again, which ones are the ones I should use? I wanted to use HIIT videos... Thanks

Replies

• squatsandlipgloss
    squatsandlipgloss Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    What exactly do you mean with "which ones are the ones I should use"? You don't just want to follow the program the way it was designed? I do recommend you do that, especially when you haven't done it in a few years.
  • ECR1989
    ECR1989 Posts: 158
    Options
    You could try doing the program and see how you get on, but if you're worried about your health then why not just do a video every other day, but still follow the order? Maybe speak to your doctor before hand and I'd definitely advise you to buy a heart rate monitor so you can keep track of your heart rate doing the sessions.

Insanity is a max interval training program so it is really hard - it's normal to be afraid, I still am and I'm 2 weeks in! Just take it a day at a time and listen to your body. It's normal to be sore afterwards and exhausted - but only you can tell the difference between that and any complications with lyme disease. I'd just try the program as it's designed, taking a rest day in between if that's what you need!

Good luck!
  • bnjones23
    bnjones23 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I agree completely with ECR1989. Take it slow if you're concerned. Also, you don't have to go full out like the people in the video. You can modify and take extra breaks when needed until you increase your strength and endurance. It is a very challenging workout on the body and you need to make sure you get enough rest, food, and water afterwards. I have found that the Results and Recovery formula work really well with muscle fatigue and overall re-energizes you. Don't be afraid! You are capable of more than you will ever imagine! Just take it one day at a time.
  • hmuh
    hmuh Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Just pick one from month 1 and dig deep! Every time you push play, you're kicking fear in the rear!