Running

Options
13»

Replies

• blobby10
    blobby10 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I have tried several times to lose weight through running and not achieved this aim. Even when I was running over 20 miles a week I didnt lose. But I did get great legs!

When I re-started I used the C25K programme along with other exercise and STILl didn't lose weight.

This year I only run on a Saturday morning as I go to the gym Monday - Friday. I run around 5 miles cross country with the dogs and am a better runner than I have ever been! And no, I haven't lost any weight,.

My sister trained for 2 half marathons and didn't lsoe weight from running!
  • momofJandA
    momofJandA Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Running has just made me awesome.

:flowerforyou: Best quote EVER!!!!!
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    Has anyone lost weight through just running and watching their diet?

I am thinking about taking up jogging/running with my sister. She started a couple of weeks ago, and lost a couple of kgs already. I would like to lose 5kgs, and I just want to be fitter and have more energy! I also like the idea of running with headphones for a bit of "me time".

How far did you run and how often to see results (weightloss)?
    What has running done for you? eg, changed your body in what way, improved your endurance? etc...

yes

i run anywhere from 3-7 miles, 4-5 days a week

it's given me more energy. i no longer have a coffee table butt; ie it's so high you could rest a coffee cup on the top of it and not have it fall off (as my mother called it - yes i know cruel whatever she was right). my legs are thinner/more tone. i have defined calf muscles (never had that before - i had cankles).

i feel like i'm a better person because my running time is my time to de stress/decompress.

i went from running at around 13 mile/min to 11:30/11:45
  • FUELERDUDE
    FUELERDUDE Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    When I started doing this seriously, it was with diet and running. I lost my first 20 lbs (A little too quickly, I may add) by running/walking 5 days a week and tracking everything that I ate (It does no good not to be honest with tracking as it defeats the purpose. It has also allowed me to realize you can have some not so healthy food, just in moderation and dependent on other/meals or activities for the day.).

I started out a little too robust. I made it a goal to hit 6 miles every day (total of combined running and walking). I was loosing weight, but I was also setting myself up for injury. I mean 30 miles a week is what a lot of people do in training for half a marathon ( I was running until I couldn't run anymore), I was just wanting to do a 5k. If you do this, start out slowly and with resonable distances (3 or 4 days a week, rest day between runs/walks, start out with say (Day 1: 1 Mile, Day 2: 1.5 miles, Day 3: 4 miles). Each week up each of those distances up .25-.5 mile. You can also do a c25k program, but the key (for me was to slow down) in that is to not run all out while doing the run sections, but run at a pace where you could reasonably still talk to someone. Do some research on proper running form as well. This has made running much more enjoyable and I am not nearly as sore as what I was prior to doing such (I am reading Chi-Running right now).

I am currently running a schedule like this (after 2 months) Day 1: 2 miles, Day 2: 3.1 miles, Day 3 3.1 miles, Day 4: 4 miles. I am still throwing in some walking as well on most of these days.

Since becoming smarter about running, I am more energetic, I sleep much better, I don't snore as badly, I feel as if I am more alert (not lethargic), I have lost 7 or so inches off of my waist, my man boobs are almost gone, I have increased stamina, and I am happier in work and every day life. It's awesome, it's just not so awesome doing the running at times (Think of the goals and rewards when you get to these points).

I hope this helps. I'm a newbie at running and wish I would've known some of this before I started.
  • abbyrae1
    abbyrae1 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I have a friend that would watch what she ate, kept it pretty low carb, and would run 5-6 days a week, she lost about 30lbs in about 6 months, about 5 months later, its still off
  • bluflu2003
    Options
    Running has helped me lose a bit of weight (7-8 lbs). I initially started for that reason, but now I continue to run because I feel great about the shape I'm in. I run 6.5 miles 5x week (if I miss a day, I run longer the rest of the days so my weekly mileage average doesn't vary too much) . Weightloss was slow when I wasn't tracking my calories. Once I started tracking and was in a consistant deficit I dropped 5lbs rather quickly (a bit too quick). However, I had to find the right balance in calorie deficit because too little effected my run significantly. Adding just an addition 200 calories back made a big difference.

Good luck to you and happy running!
  • Schann7
    Schann7 Posts: 218
    Options
    Everyone seems to be going so well with running! Great advice from everyone :smile:
  • Ericav05
    Ericav05 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    The first month after I started running, I lost 20 pounds... I was walking 3 miles a day before hand and continued to after I started running. After the first month I continued to lose weight at about 5-10 pounds a month for the next few months with a calorie "allowance" of anywhere between 1200-1500 calories.
  • Schann7
    Options
    The first month after I started running, I lost 20 pounds... I was walking 3 miles a day before hand and continued to after I started running. After the first month I continued to lose weight at about 5-10 pounds a month for the next few months with a calorie "allowance" of anywhere between 1200-1500 calories.

Wow! What a great loss you've had! :)
  • Ericav05
    Ericav05 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks! :)
  • Schann7
    Options
    Well I finally worked up the courage to go for my first run yesterday! I did a jog/walk combo, and only managed to do about 3km in 30 minutes, I did take it very easy though, since it was my first time and I did it straight after my usual workout. I'm still feeling it in my legs today, though!

Do you base your run on time or distance? I'm thinking distance would be right? I would like to go further next time, and then work on how long it takes me after a few weeks. Is time or distance a better judge for running? I'm just confused because I don't know whether to think of it as "I'm going for a 5km run, no matter how long it takes" or "I'm going to run for 40 mins, then stop".

Also, how long does it take you to run however far you run?

Thanks!
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Sounds about typical for a first run. Well done for getting out there.

Try c25k, or the zombies run 5k trainer. This will give a bit of structure to your early runs and take the uncertainty out of things.

I wouldn't worry about speed or distance for the first six weeks or so. Once you're running more steadily download something like endomondo or mapmyrun on your phone and use that to keep track of speed and distance.

Above all, enjoy it.
  • cburky911
    cburky911 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on getting out there. I purely love running. I got back in to running last year and have done that and calorie counting through MFP to lose the weight I've lost. Sounds like you did well on your first run. As for time vs. distance...I do both now, but do what works for you. I like your idea of using distance and going a little further each time you get out there.
  • Schann7
    Options
    Thank you :)

Another question! How long was anyone sore for when you started running? Usually with a new workout I am sore for a couple of days, and then I never get sore.. until I try something new! My legs hurt a lot more than I expected, I think I may need to do a lot more stretches before and after next time. I couldn't workout today because they hurt so bad! This is embarassing, but heck , to be completely honest... I can hardly walk today! I wouldn't consider myself to be "unfit" either, so I'm surprised! At least I know I'm working muscles I haven't used for a while!
  • Schann7
    Options
    Ugh, still sore today! Good or bad idea to go for another run?