Options
2»

Replies

• PomegranatePriestess
    PomegranatePriestess Posts: 2,455 Member
    Options
    Then why is my cholesterol normal?

Singularities.

I am evidently yet another special snowflake. I have eaten red meat all my life (steak is listed as a favorite food in my baby book, mmkay?) and my combined cholesterol has never been more than 175. When I was on Atkins, it was even lower: about 135.
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    I'm with the "in moderation" side of the room. Our ancient ancestors survived on the plentiful calories and energy that meat provided. They spent a lot of time hunting it, and there was no way of storing it. So you ate meat when you could have it. You didn't get to store it so you'd have it every day, 2 meals a day. They also spent their entire day hunting meat (of all sorts), protecting their families, and thus creating a cardio-vascular system that could support their consumption. We're all here because this worked.

We've (in the developed world) moved into a society where our food storage and preservation is so efficient that we have "too much". Many people, particularly in the US, are dying because of complications of having too much food. Red meat is certainly still one contributor to that.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    Then why is my cholesterol normal?

Singularities.

I am evidently yet another special snowflake. I have eaten red meat all my life (steak is listed as a favorite food in my baby book, mmkay?) and my combined cholesterol has never been more than 175. When I was on Atkins, it was even lower: about 135.

you are indeed.

this idea that every body responds the same way to the same stimuli is slightly ridiculous.
  • twelfty
    twelfty Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    people have been eating red meat for thousands of years and we seem to still be living longer, most definately wouldn't stop me eating red meat, or worry while i'm eating it

clogging of arteries may very well be a valid point or conclusion, but these days we're eating more stuff that suposedly unclogs them so we should be fine... if not the average age of death for a man being 77 in england, hell... if i live that long i'll be happy

We tend to live longer now due to advancement in medical treatments. Because someone is alive at 85 doesn't mean they're healthy (though of course there are some perfectly healthy 100-year-olds). A lot of the elderly are on all sorts of medication that's keeping them alive. Or people with clogged arteries have had operations and are on blood thinners, people with diabetes are on insulin, etc. In the past, you'd live as long as your body could with minimal interference from technology. Now we can keep people alive a hell of a lot longer, some with quality of life...some without.

(sorry for the steal but........)
    tumblr_mg9gr85oBg1rxgv80o1_250.gif
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    I eat like 3 pounds of grass-fed beef a week. I feel wonderful and don't plan on stopping my serious mammal meat habit.

It's like crack, man....
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,024 Member
    Options
    I feel that research results should not be made available to the public until it has been thoroughly peer reviewed.
    The study was conducted with APoE-/- mice which are genetically modified with a genetic fault for amplifying any bad cholesterol effects. And of course the dose is fairly impractical when converted. Consuming red meat and heart disease is and always have been about the saturated fat and cholesterol, which is correlation based on LDL, but that's about it....I think we would have heard of this connection considering the amount of money trying to prove that fact. Controlled human studies need to be done.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    red meat is heaven on earth! wish i could have it everyday!

Why can't you?

I eat like my Inuit neighbours: an animal-based high fat/low carb diet. It's a complete paradox that since switching from a plant/grain based diet to an animal-based diet I have reversed pre-diabetes, depression, chronic pain, intestinal disorders, chronic fatigue, etc, etc, etc AND am curing obesity without hunger or huge effort. Or is it a paradox?

Of course, the quality of the animals matter immensely. About half of my meat is from local wild animals.
  • mom2kpr
    mom2kpr Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    While I don't think I could ever give up red meat, I have cut back. I think there may be something to this. I donate plasma & if I've had high fat meat the night before, my blood tends to clot in the tubes. Although it doesn't just happen with beef - it also happens w/cheese, hot dogs.
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    I eat red meat...not regularly but at least once/month or more.

My cholesterol is pristine...never had problems.

It's one article...do more research.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member
    Options
    You left out the part about what in the red meat the researches claim are increasing health risks. In this article they are pointing the finger at L-carnitine, which is being converted into TMAO (a metabolite already suspected of helping to clog up arteries). And it says suspected, not confirmed. So I guess we are just speculating here? :laugh:

L-carnitine is an ingredient in everything from energy drinks to asparagus and brussels sprouts. Granted, the amount is highest in fatty red meat, however you can also buy it as a stand alone supplement over the counter at any pharmacy. What the article also fails to disclose is whether or not that the participants of the study ate corporate farming's hormone-laden fatty meats or grass fed non-hormone injected beef.

There are also several other uses of L-carnitine including the treatment of ADHD.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/11-super-side-effects-from-taking-l-carnitine.html

The OP title cracks me up. BUT, after reading the article, thats pretty much what the article focuses on and I can see why he posted it like that. Whats bull$h|t is at the end of the article where it says "In 2012, researchers from the Harvard School of Public Health reporting in Archives of Internal Medicine said people who switched even just some of their regular red meat consumption to another healthier source of protein such as fish, poultry, legumes, nuts, low fat dairy and whole grains, could reduce their risk of premature death."

What they suggest supplementing red meat with, " fish, poultry, legumes, nuts, low fat dairy" all contain L-carnitine. So switching from one food that contains L-carnitine to others that contain L-carnitine will lower risk of premature death? Riiiiiiiiiiiight. :laugh:

Logic, who needs it.
    536C8597FF5FD3C1125AF844FD867B.gif
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    They'll have to pry my steak knife from my cold dead hand.