Very Quick Question

GodsPromises
GodsPromises Posts: 19 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
How do you eat at a buffet when watching what you are eating?

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    The easiest answer is, don't go to buffets.
  • Elokyn
    Elokyn Posts: 448 Member
    Otherwise you'd have to only get one plate and make smart choices. Map it out before you get there....esentially making the buffet useless :)
  • ron2282
    ron2282 Posts: 2,760 Member
    I went to one last week. I ate the fish and broccoli and had no problem staying within my calorie limits. Most buffets do have some healthy choices; you just have to pay attention.
  • lucky1ns
    lucky1ns Posts: 358 Member
    Start with a salad and top with salsa instead of dressing.

Than go back and make wise choices.
  • GodsPromises
    Well that's not the answer - not going. Going out to eat with co workers. Just looking for suggestions on what do eat beside salads. I will work it out. I'm not dieting and giving up everything I enjoy so I will do my best to make smart choices and not go for all of the fried foods such.

Thanks Lucky1ns and ron2282, that is what I was looking for.
  • ComfortFoodAddict
    ComfortFoodAddict Posts: 278 Member
    I have eaten buffets and done okay. I make them my big meal of the day and really watch what I for everything else. I still watch what I eat when I am there though- I get stuff like sushi, crab legs, veggie blend, triple delight, stuff like that. No fried foods, no sweets, dont drowned it in sauces.

I also try to get the "big" items on my first plate-stuff like the crab legs. They take up a lot of room and take a while to get into. That way I have started filling up before I go back and b/c I dont want to look like a pig by getting 2 huge plates!
  • xTattooedDollx
    xTattooedDollx Posts: 426 Member
    Yeah, I just don't go to them. My friends/family know already to not even bring it up so they respect my dieting.
  • needamulligan
    needamulligan Posts: 558 Member
    I'm in a similar situation tomorrow night. It's a family celebration at a banquet hall. Not going is not an option! My strategy is small portions, and eating foods that look most like their natural state (ie/ tossed salad vs. macaroni or potato and avoiding anything breaded or fried). It may be simple but I'm planning ahead. I also, like the idea of filling your plate with big, low calorie items first! Thanks for the question and the great ideas!
  • cymills
    cymills Posts: 133 Member
    OK - need to use your "quick question" topic as I cannot seem to get a new topic started? ( sorry & thanks!)

I lost 10 lbs( yeah me) I then needed to post a new goal . OK that was easy- I want to lose 5 more lbs.
    MFP "upped" my calories almost 150 points. I would rather stay where I was.
    Why did it up my calories even thou I still want to lose more lbs?
  • Jovialation
    Jovialation Posts: 7,632 Member
    I hate to admit, but I still go to Chinese buffets on a weekend every so often. Granted, I wake up late, go there late, and dont eat anything else for the day....but Im sure I still go over my calories. I say its still better than going over multiple times in a week because I want a fatty food.
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,275 Member
    It's more about self-control and knowing what you're eating, the last buffet I went to (chinese), had some sushi, some fish that wasn't fried, a little beef with broccoli, a veggie egg roll, one crab rangoon (hey, I worked for it lol), some imitation crab, and some wild rice for carbs....all in all, I knew the count would be high and I had 2 plates, it was a balanced meal. Just don't get carried away into the "better get my money's worth" rationale and you'll be fine
  • Samantharose8akaDebbie
    Samantharose8akaDebbie Posts: 407 Member
    Go for it! Just make wise choices and drink lots of water:)
  • sorellabella
    sorellabella Posts: 133 Member
    Prior to going drink lots of water, once there start with a big salad next plate small portions. No fried foods, avoid starchy fatty foods.
  • lilmissy2
    lilmissy2 Posts: 595 Member
    It is actually very sound advice to say to avoid going to buffets as often as possible (just to avoid the temptation). But, one of the worst parts of healthy eating is feeling you have to miss social get togethers. So just think about the things you are choosing and try to fill your plate just once (so you can see how much it looks like all together). If you want to try a lot of things (I always do!) just make the portions really small.

Also, think about how often you go out. I usually only eat out once a month, if that... so when I do, I have whatever I want... and dessert!
  • GodsPromises
    Thanks everyone,

I just came back.

I don't think I did as bad as I could had. I got broiled fish, streamed shrimp, a spoon full of yellow rice, salad and collard greens. I didn't get any red meat or fried foods. Even with dessert I didn't do so bad. I love love the buffets cream puffs and usually can eat about 20 of them. Today I had 4 and a fruit salad

For me it more about making right decision and a life change than just watching calories.
  • crazyjkgirl
    crazyjkgirl Posts: 123 Member
    It's entirely possible. I lost 28 lbs or so over the past 7 months eating at a buffet style cafeteria almost 4 times a week. I'm a college student and for me, the buffet at my school was the best choice for my meal plan while watching what I'm eating. I was able to prepare myself a nice salad, have tons of fresh fruit, and if it was offered that day some kind of lean grilled meat. I occasionally ate soup or fat free frozen yogurt.

It's all about getting out of the mindset that "you paid for it and have to eat everything." If you can leave feeling satisfied with a meal similar in health/ calories to something you would make at home then you truly did get your money's worth.

I've never really been to a buffet that didn't have some reasonably healthy options with the possible exception of a pizza buffet like CiCi's or a dessert buffet on a cruise ship.
This discussion has been closed.