low calorie yet filling foods????? any suggestions?

Options
i have been counting calories like a mutha for 2 weeks, and i always max out my calorie intake and have to work out harder at the gym to make up the deficit, i need some suggestions on some good foods to fill up on that wont cost a lot of calories. thank you in advance.

Replies

• cocacole77
    cocacole77 Posts: 53
    Options
    Veggies! Try out different veggies and different veggie recipes! Spaghetti Squash with marinara is a great substitute for pasta...and WAY LOW in calories! Look up different recipes for Spaghetti Squash too...there are A LOT!
  • jamie31
    jamie31 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    carrots and i dont mean those bagged baby carrots. get some real carrots that need to be peeled also cucumbers and broccoli are very filling. I have found that lots of real green foods will keep me fuller for longer plus veggies are low in calories. If you want a salad get romaine or a spring mix and top it with fresh salsa instead of dressing.
  • BoyMomCar
    BoyMomCar Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Pickles! Also 94% Fat Free popcorn you can eat the whole bag for like 100 something calories!
  • JustAmy
    JustAmy Posts: 291
    Options
    Pinto beans (1/2 cup), low fat cheese (1/2 oz), salsa (2 tbs), just nuke them together, so good and filling and only 160 calories:bigsmile:

you can also add in 4 oz of cooked lean beef, chicken or turkey (160 calories also) and have a great filling meal :flowerforyou:

I find that just veggies as a snack make me hungrier:smile:
  • sniffles
    sniffles Posts: 295
    Options
    I don't understand the baby carrot hate. ): Those things are a great quick snack when you're on the go and don't have time for peeling.

I find vegetables don't fill me up but they DO make me feel very sick (sometimes I feel like a carnivore or something - haha, even if I hate meat) so I'm curious to see what suggestions you get on this thread!
  • Alleghany
    Alleghany Posts: 200
    Options
    I hear you! I've been loving steamed broc, cauliflower & tofu topped w/THE best sauce in the world - tahini mixed w/soy sauce (I use Braggs Liquid Aminos since it's way lower in sodium). I top it w/1 - 2 tbsp of the sauce and mix it in. The cals are mostly in the tahini but if you don't use a ton, you're good to go. When I make it, it's usually about 300 cals if I use 2 tbsp. Even if you're into meat and don't care for tofu, give this a try. It's really filling and the sauce is addictive! Good luck! :smile:
  • Vanyr
    Vanyr Posts: 6
    Options
    I don't understand the baby carrot hate. ): Those things are a great quick snack when you're on the go and don't have time for peeling.

I find vegetables don't fill me up but they DO make me feel very sick (sometimes I feel like a carnivore or something - haha, even if I hate meat) so I'm curious to see what suggestions you get on this thread!

There was the whole thing about them being washed in chlorine and such. Probably put more than a few people off them.
    http://urbanlegends.about.com/od/fooddrink/a/baby_carrots.htm
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    For your starchy-carby side with dinner, go with Sweet potatoes instead of regular potatoes. I cube them and gently cook them down with a little butter and some cinnamon & nutmeg and then pound 'em into mashed sweetaters. They rock, and a big filling serving is just 150.
  • Mriv
    Mriv Posts: 30
    Options
    I'm a big fan of the progresso light soups. I always keep tossed salad in the frig, with low fat dressings they can be low in cals (the trick there is finding the right dressings you like and having a variety to choose from). I find the LaChoy Bi-Pack chow meins to be a great deal at only 300 cals. And last but not least, lettuce and tomato sandwiches with a tbl of one of the mayos with canola (45 cals for a total of about 160 per sandwich) to be worth it. I also like cucumber sandwiches too. hope this gives you some ideas.
  • needamulligan
    needamulligan Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Weight Watchers tip: Lean proteins will keep you from getting hungry....ie/ hard boiled eggs, canned tuna, 2 oz of lean deli ham or turkey. They won't cost you much in calories but will hold you. My current favorite sandwich is Arnold's select sandwich rounds (I think that's what they're called!) with 2 tblsp of hummus and bib lettuce = 170 calories. I've been at this since the end of January and rarely feel hungry. And, I rarely have the out of control cravings I used to have when I ate more carbs!
  • mrsyatesy
    mrsyatesy Posts: 173
    Options
    Cold boiled eggs are lovely, or I quarter a nice apple and put a tsp of peanut butter on top - gorgeous, and seems to keep me more full than anything else. We also have Ryvita Minis over here, they do a sweet chilli flavour, 101 cals for a bag (30g) and they are really tasty and filling too.
  • helenhaas
    helenhaas Posts: 12
    Options
    Hummus and Special K crackers (90 calories for about 15 crackers) or veggies., Cottage cheese with apple butter or apple sauce, Nature Valley makes great granola bars ( 90 calories for 1 bar) the crunch helps when I feel I need something bad they make a great chocolate one "yum" . String cheese they have a 50 calorie ones add some crackers and you have a 140 calorie snack! Good luck to you..
  • smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Hummus and Special K crackers (90 calories for about 15 crackers) or veggies., Cottage cheese with apple butter or apple sauce, Nature Valley makes great granola bars ( 90 calories for 1 bar) the crunch helps when I feel I need something bad they make a great chocolate one "yum" . String cheese they have a 50 calorie ones add some crackers and you have a 140 calorie snack! Good luck to you..

Hummus with anything!!! I could eat it with a spoon, lol!!!
  • writer190
    writer190 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I like 100-calorie packs of popcorn or kettle corn. I also like the light progresso soups, but I have a hard time staying full with those. If you make a sandwich with lean sliced turkey on low-calorie bread with lettuce, you can have a sandwich for 150-200 calories (depending on your bread; try Healthy Life or Nature's Own).
  • SoonToBeThinCyn
    Options
    I love sugar free jello. You can eat tons! It always satisfies me especially when I want something sweet! I make my own rather than buying it premade. I pour it into storage bowls with lids, and take it to work.
  • lreed
    lreed Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    veggies, egg whites, chicken breasts!
  • jessicajoy87
    jessicajoy87 Posts: 905
    Options
    Most mornings I eat an egg and an english muffin. Whenever I eat eggs I do not feel hungry for several hours. Then I read that if you eat 2 eggs for breakfast then you will eat 200-400 less calories a day. It works for me. Good luck!
  • imagymrat
    imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    veggies, egg whites, chicken breasts!

stole the words right outta my mouth! scrambled egg white omelettes, with peppers and mushroom....very filling and next to no calories, tuna salad wraps, mix tuna with mustard, wrap in lettue leaves, under 100 calories as well...oatmeal, and not the instant type, real oatmeal, steel cut oats is fantastic, add a little maple syrup this is my early day snack of choice since I try eat low carb late in the day, Yoplait makes a great 35 calorie yogurt, mix it with fresh berries and top with slivered almonds or granola..yummy! comes in around 120 calories, when I want a sweet popsicle fix, I freeze an orange juice juice box when it gets slightly frozen I cut a slit and stick a popsicle stick in it, then freeze til firm, it takes forever to eat, and quite satisfying.
  • amk44
    amk44 Posts: 159
    Options
    As someone else mentioned, the Healthy Life bread comes in 35 calorie slices, and the Aunt Millie's lite is about 45 calories, so making a sandwich with sliced chicken or turkey and lettuce and tomato can be low calorie. (Also consider fish - a whole can of tuna in water is 100 calories and some sardines are quite low in calories.) In addition, making toast with apple butter; or making French Toast with egg whites and fresh fruit toppings will all be low cal when using the low cal breads. The fat free sugar free puddings topped with nonfat yogurt can be delicious as well as nutritious and low cal. Good luck. Thanks for posting the question. There have been some really interesting replies.
  • jamiebruton66
    Options
    egg whites, .eat well stay healthy chicken breast filets pan fried with a tbsp of olive oil.. Put some pace picante sauce on it and it is soooo good and filling as well