When's the best time to weigh yourself?

Options
I know the advice is to not weigh yourself too regularly, but when is the happy medium that it will be an bit of a boost rather than discouraging?

Replies

• 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    I am an advocate for weighing daily first thing in the morning. Wake, pee, strip, scale, shower. Every day. I love to see the fluctuations, they don't bother me at all. I learn from them. Log the weight and watch the trend line.

The difference between my after dinner weight and morning weight can be 3 or 4 pounds less in the morning. Maybe I jog in my sleep?

But that's just me :wink:
  • pangy1958
    pangy1958 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    First thing in the morning, no clothes. I don't do every day just once a week on the same day.
  • rubberbiscuit
    Options
    When I started doing this weight loss thing, I consulted with lots of experts. One of them was a therapist who specializes in weight loss. He told me that I should weigh every morning, after I pee, but before I eat or drink anything. So, that's what I've been doing and it has worked pretty well for me. I don't get discouraged seeing the daily fluctuations and I'm able to catch any upward trends very quickly.
  • MissMormie
    MissMormie Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    In the morning before breakfast tends to be the time where you have least fluctuations due to what you ate or drank that day.

Whether you way daily, weekly or monthly is up to you. Scientifically you get the best insight in your weight if you way daily. More measurement points mean that the average is closer to the actual number. But it also means that although the average is better, the actual measurements can vary more. So it really is up to what fits you best emotionally. If you feel in your bones that the number on the scale is just a number that varies from day to day you could way daily. If you get bummed out if the scale goes up a bit stick to weighing once a week, or even once a month.
  • HunterKiller_wechange2
    Options
    First thing in the morning after a wee. :)
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I usually weigh once a week. But I have gone 5 weeks without weighing when I was starting a new workout program, I didn't want the possible increase to discourage me. The daily fluctuations drive me to distraction so I don't weigh daily.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I concur with the rest. Butt nekkie first thing after a wee. I do it on a daily. I only record it bi-weekly.

You will notice weight fluctuations, and that is a good thing. It will let you understand they are perfectly normal. You can also revisit what you ate the day before to see if it had an impact on fluctuations (really high carb, high sodium, or whatever.)
  • MandaPaigeSparkles88
    MandaPaigeSparkles88 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    First thing in the morning after a wee. :)

This that's when I like to weigh myself.
  • mumtoonegirl
    mumtoonegirl Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    in the morning after my shower and going to the bathroom.... if you do it at the same time of the day it gives you a more accurate calculation of your loss.... and if possible the same day of the week.

Or if you are obsessive like me - every morning, I really need to hide that damn thing and only bring it out once a week.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    My 'official' weigh day is Saturday, after shower / restroom and before I am dressed.

Since the fluctuations don't bother me at all I will normally step on the scale periodically during the week also. I don't record weight until I am under my previous time I weighed. Sometimes that will be a few weeks, sometimes a few days. I look for the downward trend and as long as it keeps steadily dropping I am happy.

When you weigh will depend on each person and how they are affected by the scale. If you are someone who gets discouraged easily and takes a gain very hard then I would suggest not weighing very often and when you do make sure it's under the same circumstances. Ideally for ladies (due to our periods) once a month is good, on the exact same day / time / circumstances as the previous month. If the scale doesn't bother you then weigh whenever you feel like it and take the lowest weight ;)
  • TheFinalThird
    TheFinalThird Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    After the flu or a stomach virus that caused you to lose 10-12 pounds in a week. I'm just sayin'.