The Truth About Exercise -- PBS Program April 10

Options

Replies

• Doberdawn
    Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    It sounds fascinating. I can't wait to get home and watch it. Thank you for posting.
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    It was interesting that he was genetically disadvantaged in that he had little potential to increase his aerobic capacity. But the part that really interested me was the effect of insulin response that the HIT had. 23% reduction after 4 weeks is remarkable. While the aerobic capacity is disappointing for him, reducing insulin response has significant health benefits. It is the basis of the diet I am on. Incorporating this HIT regimen should enhance my insulin response and should effect fat loss. I will start tomorrow.
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Thanks! It sounds interesting. I enjoyed his show on fasting so I expect this will be good, too.

It is on here tomorrow evening and also next week. I'm not sure yet if I'll watch on TV or online. It is nice to have both options.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    This Michael Mosley guy makes fascinating videos. He also did one on the 5:2 diet and on weight loss stuff. Both highly recommended.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    - 16 calories per minute running at 6 MPH
    - Very few are willing to put in the hours
    - You have ton control what you eat
    - Fat stays in the blood stream for hours.
    - All fat stores are not equal.
    - Viscerol fat lines the organs = bab.
    - The walk should trigger and enzyme to helps process fat.
    - Reduce fat in the blood by a 1/3 after 90 minutes of walking.
    - Huge variation in how people respond to exercises.
    - 4 hours of week for 20 weeks. (1000 people)
    - 20% no response, 15% super response.
    - 2 things can be improved. Insulin sensitivity, aerobic fitness (lungs and heart) VO2Max
    - Vo2Max is a marker.
    - Bottom line, you live longer.
    - HIT training.
    - The short intense training (3x1 minute), beaks down the glycogen.
    - The intensity activates to 70 or 80% over 30% from jogging..
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
  • jturnerx
    jturnerx Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    - 16 calories per minute running at 6 MPH

Is that good or bad? That sounds low until you realize that translates to 960 calories / hour.
  • BonnieFife
    BonnieFife Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Very interesting :) worth watching, highlighted very much some of which i already knew & it was amazing to see how much fat floats around in your blood 4hrs after eating a fried breakfast, i love a fried breakfast but that has put me right off :smile:
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    I watched this when it was on TV last year. It was very frustrating as I would love to give it a go, but I can't do high intensity exercise!
  • xxxtracyxxx
    xxxtracyxxx Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    So VO2Max is correlated with health outcomes, but they don't know why...and 20% of people can't increase their VO2Max through exercise...Yet they can increase other health markers. I'm mildly confused by that bit.

I fear that part of the documentary is going to have people exercising 12 minutes a month and saying, well that's good enough.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options

The gene tests were interesting, but even if more widely available, it has to be remembered that genes can't predict everything.

True. That is why Gattaca is one my favorite SciFi movies. There is no accounting for the human spirit and willpower in DNA.

I love Gattaca. I would like to know more about the genes the researchers look at.
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    So VO2Max is correlated with health outcomes, but they don't know why...and 20% of people can't increase their VO2Max through exercise...Yet they can increase other health markers. I'm mildly confused by that bit.

I fear that part of the documentary is going to have people exercising 12 minutes a month and saying, well that's good enough.

The part that I liked about HIIT was the effect on insulin response. That is very appealing to me in and of itself, regardless of what benefit HIIT might have for overall fitness. Reduced insulin response is something that I strive for because that's what helps me lose fat. I know this because I have been on a slow carb diet to control insulin response for over a year. Adding HIIT may help me out. I just did my first real HIIT routine and holy crap. 15 minute warmup, 5 cycles of HIIT, 12 minute cool down and my legs are burning like they have never burned before. Not sure what that means but I did see a number on my HRM that I have never seen before (180 bpm). Doing this 3 times a week might along with my heavy lift routine might be too much stress in a caloric deficit, but this is definitely going to be at least a once a week routine.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options

The gene tests were interesting, but even if more widely available, it has to be remembered that genes can't predict everything.

True. That is why Gattaca is one my favorite SciFi movies. There is no accounting for the human spirit and willpower in DNA.

I love Gattaca. I would like to know more about the genes the researchers look at.

Www.xrgenomics.co.uk

Saw this in a magazine. I think it's the same thing.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    bump
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    Bumping for later viewing.
  • Mock_Turtle
    Mock_Turtle Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Just watched this, very fascinating.

the bit about NEAT is kinda a big deal .... makes you realize all of the potential gains you're giving up when taking escalators and stuff.

Also it's an indictment of the suburban / drive everywhere disaster we've planned most of our cities for.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    This article has a little more on "non-responders"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/9992221/Born-to-run-genetic-test-can-reveal-those-best-able-to-run-marathons.html

"For runners with the right genes, it means their bodies can quickly adapt to carry large amounts of oxygen to their muscles, allowing them to run faster and for longer.

Those who lack these genes, however, will never improve, no matter how much they train, and their performance may even get worse the harder they push themselves. "
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options

The part that I liked about HIIT was the effect on insulin response. That is very appealing to me in and of itself, regardless of what benefit HIIT might have for overall fitness. Reduced insulin response is something that I strive for because that's what helps me lose fat. I know this because I have been on a slow carb diet to control insulin response for over a year. Adding HIIT may help me out. I just did my first real HIIT routine and holy crap. 15 minute warmup, 5 cycles of HIIT, 12 minute cool down and my legs are burning like they have never burned before. Not sure what that means but I did see a number on my HRM that I have never seen before (180 bpm). Doing this 3 times a week might along with my heavy lift routine might be too much stress in a caloric deficit, but this is definitely going to be at least a once a week routine.

I'm interested in that too. Type 2 Diabetes runs in my family. I think it's pretty obvious that the 12 minutes a month was a prescription for MINIMAL fitness, but it's wonderful if you can significantly reduce blood glucose levels in such a short time. But you really have to push yourself, so even 12 minutes isn't exactly a walk in the park. But I could see doing that and then working up to more steady state exercise the rest of the time.

If you're concerned about your heart rate get a stress test if possible. If I push myself, my rate is off the charts. As it happens, I have a naturally fast heart rate.