Juicing help anyone?

Options
I know there's HUGE debate about juicing out there and I'm not looking to get into that, I just have a couple questions about how it relates to MFP...

First of all, when I log my juice, I usually create a recipe and then add it by serving to the food diary. Question; is there a different way that I should be adding fruits and veggies that are juiced as opposed to just eaten? I know a lot of the fiber is lost when juicing and just want to try to keep my diary as accurate as possible.

Second, I'm not super concerned but my morning juice consists of strictly fresh, organic fruits (and chia seeds that I add) but this almost always puts me over my daily limit of sugar for the day in one meal alone. I don't consume (well, very rarely anyway) any white sugars or processed carbs, etc and the sugars that I'm getting in the juice are obviously only those that are found in fresh fruit; soooo, should I cut back on the fruit to help lower my sugar intake or is this ok considering the source and the type of sugar I'm getting?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!

Replies

• Mindmovesbody
    Mindmovesbody Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    As far as juicing goes, I'm not sure how you are 'supposed' to add it but I just put in the actual fruits and how much of it I put in my Nutribullet. I don't create recipes. That is just me though. I'm not sure it matters either way.

As far as the sugar goes this gets messy in the forums. Sugar is a huge debate. Some will tell you sugar is sugar is sugar doesn't matter where it comes from. Then there are the others that say it breaks down differently in the body when it's fruit sugars vs. white sugar. I am not a doc or a scientist so my suggestion is to see what works for your body. By all intents and purposes fruit is healthy and has a lot of positive health benefits. If you are doing everything right and not getting the results you want, then I would re-visit the sugar.
  • blood6338
    blood6338 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    If you check the database there are loads of fruits and vegetables already listed as "juiced". I usually just search for "fresh" or "extracted" and the fruit or veg and have yet to not be able to find one listed. Even things like sweet potato are listed as juiced in the database. You shouldn't have too much trouble.

As for sugar, I agree it it open for debate. As for me, I don't worry about sugar if it's coming from fruits and other natural sources. I just worry about processed sugar. But that's just one opinion. You have to decide what works for you.
  • sgtlee13
    sgtlee13 Posts: 66
    Options
    Thank you both for your thoughts. I feel good, am losing at a healthy rate and my blood glucose levels are always fine so I guess I'll just stick to the sugar levels I'm getting unless I notice any negative changes.
    And thank you, I'll look for "juiced" or "extracted" versions of fruits. I'd been doing what you were before but thought that maybe the juices as I entered them might give me more credit for calories consumed than I should have been getting. I'm usually really close or under my daily allowance so I just wanted to be sure I was doing what's best.
    Thank you guys!
  • jc501
    jc501 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Awesome info! This answered several questions for me.
  • blood6338
    blood6338 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I googled how to count the calories in fruits and vegetables that had been juiced. Basically, it said to just subtract the calories for the fiber in the fruit or vegetable juices. If it's got 4 grams of fiber then that's 4 grams X 4 calories. So just subtract 16 calories from the number of calories in the food being juiced.
  • sgtlee13
    sgtlee13 Posts: 66
    Options
    Perfect, thank you Sir!