Wedding dress shopping tomorrow

Options
Hi all!

I am a fairly new member but so far I have really enjoyed MFP and although I often read the posts this is one of my first times posting....so here goes...

I am feeling sort of nervous about my first try at dress shopping tomorrow. My profile says I have lost only 6 pounds, but since starting my weight loss journey/lifestyle change many months ago I have actually lost almost 50 pounds (48 to be exact) and am probably only a few weeks away from being under 200 pounds.

I know I should be excited to get to find a great dress for my new shape... as opposed to my old but I am still not where I want to be and am sort of kicking myself for not working harder/doing better. I really hope tomorrow I can let that go and feel good about how I look and the progress I have made.

It is so weird that instead of celebrating the 48 pounds lost so far, I am focusing on the next 20 or 30 I'd like to lose/will lose. I know by my wedding I will be much happier with how I’ve done I am just hoping I can enjoy my special day tomorrow.

Anyone else gone through this/going through this?

Replies

• christina_255
    Options
    Hey there! I actually did my dress shopping last weekend and wasnt to excited either. Even with a 18lbs lose so far becuase Im not at my goal weight and I tend to get really discouraged when shopping. Right now I am at 205 and want to be at 150 eventaully!
    I ended up having the best time ever and found the dress of my dream. Trust me! Those dresses tuck and suck all over! Its really awesome how they make you feel compared to everyday clothes. So when is your big day? Because Im sure you still have time to lose more before the wedding and dresses can be altered!
  • mama22girlz
    mama22girlz Posts: 291
    Options
    congrats on your wedding. I agree with the previous poster those dresses can really suck you in. so enjoy your day, if you fin done you like ask when is the latest you can order it and then come back for a size fitting right before then.

Also you should change your ticker. Put your starting weight to show your 48 lbs lost. You should be proud of that its GREAT.
  • MommyofLily
    MommyofLily Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I totally understand how you're feeling. Nobody understood why I was less than enthusiastic to go try on dresses for my wedding. I was avoiding it for months, but finally went in February to find my dress and was so nervous and dreading it. It turned out to be a lot of fun, like Christina said. They really do flatter you no matter what your size is. I found the dress of my dreams as well. I'm still kicking myself for not starting earlier than January of this year, but I can't do much more about it now. I have 3 (from yesterday) until my big day. I'm at about 206 right now and my ultimate goal is 150-160. I know that's not possible by the wedding, but I'm really hoping for about 180 or so. My biggest issue is with my jiggly arms. My dress is a halter top so my arms/shoulders/upper back need to look good, so that's what I am going to focus on for the next 3 months.

Good luck shopping, and just relax, I promise you will feel beautiful in the dresses once you get them on. I was feeling so self conscious, but still had a great time. Just make sure you go with people who love you and will be honest, but not mean about how you look. Have fun playing dress up tomorrow!! And congrats on your loss so far! That is a huge accomplishment!! When is your big day?

Take care,
    Rachel
  • christina_255
    Options
    I totally understand how you're feeling. Nobody understood why I was less than enthusiastic to go try on dresses for my wedding. I was avoiding it for months, but finally went in February to find my dress and was so nervous and dreading it. It turned out to be a lot of fun, like Christina said. They really do flatter you no matter what your size is. I found the dress of my dreams as well. I'm still kicking myself for not starting earlier than January of this year, but I can't do much more about it now. I have 3 (from yesterday) until my big day. I'm at about 206 right now and my ultimate goal is 150-160. I know that's not possible by the wedding, but I'm really hoping for about 180 or so. My biggest issue is with my jiggly arms. My dress is a halter top so my arms/shoulders/upper back need to look good, so that's what I am going to focus on for the next 3 months.

Good luck shopping, and just relax, I promise you will feel beautiful in the dresses once you get them on. I was feeling so self conscious, but still had a great time. Just make sure you go with people who love you and will be honest, but not mean about how you look. Have fun playing dress up tomorrow!! And congrats on your loss so far! That is a huge accomplishment!! When is your big day?

Take care,
    Rachel

Rachel, looks like we are in the same exact boat! lol Same weight and have the same goal! Except as of monday I have 5 month till my wedding. Im going to bust my butt to lose as much as I can but my MAIN focus are my flabby arms! lol

I cant wait for everyone's wedding because I wanna see yalls dresses! :-)
  • hopebird
    hopebird Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much all. I am feeling more excited and just better knowing I am not alone in feeling this way! And funny thing is I have alomst the exact same weight a goals as you both!

Just need to keep thinking positive!

Thanks so much!

Leah
  • hopebird
    hopebird Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    So dress shopping was a success! I found a cute, vintage-inspired strapless dress. It is shiffon with a sweethear neckline... I never thought I would/could wear strapless but I guess 'the girls' were a lot more manageable that I thought :)

Now I just have to wait for it to come in... sigh.

Thanks again for all your good advice... it definately helped.

Btw- I am getting married in October. I have five more months to kick it into high gear and lose some weight/improve my shape.

We can all get there!

Good luck with your journeys and wedding planning!
    Leah
  • MommyofLily
    MommyofLily Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    So dress shopping was a success! I found a cute, vintage-inspired strapless dress. It is shiffon with a sweethear neckline... I never thought I would/could wear strapless but I guess 'the girls' were a lot more manageable that I thought :)

Now I just have to wait for it to come in... sigh.

Thanks again for all your good advice... it definately helped.

Btw- I am getting married in October. I have five more months to kick it into high gear and lose some weight/improve my shape.

We can all get there!

Good luck with your journeys and wedding planning!
    Leah

Glad to hear it went well! We can all help motivate each other to get down to our goals for our weddings. :) And good luck to you all too, with the wedding planning. I need to kick that into high gear as well seeing as how I have less than 3 months left!! Aaackk!
  • nursevee
    nursevee Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Hi there!

Let me just say that i totally understand where you're at. My wedding is in 8 weeks. I got to 187lbs and then "had a moment" and gained back 5lbs. When I initially went dress shopping I was a little over 200lbs and really, it's frustrating. I ended up buying my dresses a size smaller (not accounting for my slip up!) and although it zips right now, it's not how I want it to look. I really need to lose about 10lbs for it to look the way I want it to look but I'm aiming for 15 lbs!!! Eeeep!

Sounds like you have found a fabulous dress! I'm sure you'll do fabulous in the next 5 months!!!