big guys

Options
any other big guys out there? what did you do to loose the weight? any kinda dieting or special workouts?

Replies

• AboutT1ME
    AboutT1ME Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    honestly im fat enough that if i walk a bit and watch what i eat i loose weight. But i do some resistance training with the elastic bands, exercise bike and weight lift, low weight high reps. but that's just me
  • ed_nelson
    ed_nelson Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm a big guy.

I'm 6 feet tall, and at my heaviest, I was just a couple of pounds shy of 300 pounds.

I started counting calories, and doing a light workout 4-5 days a week before work (15-20 minutes on a treadmill and might weights). I lost 15 pounds over a few months before I plateaued.

Recently, I started jogging (something I have never done before), and the weight is coming off at a steady clip. As of this morning, I weigh 259 (25 pounds since I started keeping track here at MFP).

I use the "Zombies, Run! 5k training" app to jog. It's interval-based (1 minute walk, 30 seconds slow jog etc). which is helpful for us big guys. If it just said 'run for 5 minutes', I couldn't do it. As it is, 1 minutes is all I can manage before I get too short of breath to continue.

I am slow jogging 3 days a week, and have been at it for 5 weeks. I feel great and have lost 2 notches on my belt.
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    I'm 6'0" and topped out a few years ago at just under 400 lbs. I played sports in high school and college. Now I'm an attorney practicing commercial litigation and I'm at my desk 8-10 hours a day on average.

I started losing by quitting soda, cold turkey.

Next I made a commitment to only having one serving per meal. Then, serving = plateful...so I'd pile it on. It was okay though because one heaping plate of food was less than I had been eating.

The one-serving-and-no-soda method got me down to around 320 lbs. I started counting calories last summer and joined MFP some time around November. I was 306 lbs. When I joined.

In late January 2013, I started doing Jillian Michaels DVDs. I have 30 Day Shred and Six Week Six Pack. I do a minimum of 30 minutes a day at high intensity, a minimum of six days a week. I push myself as hard as I can...and then push a little harder.

Since joining MFP, I've lost about 34 lbs. I'm at 272 lbs now with a goal of getting down between 220 - 230 lbs. My plan is to add lifting/weight training when I get down around 240 -250 lbs. My goal is to be able to work out with my brother. He's a D1 Running Back and in great shape.

Here's my goal (My brother. He's 6'1" 223 lbs):
    63458_10152728806300414_1292805956_n.jpg
  • megamac33
    megamac33 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    very cool guys, right now i am hitting the heavy bag, jogging on the treadmill, using the stationary bike and elliptical, also doin crunches and resistance bands, and then me and the wife are goin for walks in the evening, all that and the calorie counting seems to be doin good, im down 20 lbs since the begining of the year, good to see others out there like myself
  • megamac33
    megamac33 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'm 6'0" and topped out a few years ago at just under 400 lbs. I played sports in high school and college. Now I'm an attorney practicing commercial litigation and I'm at my desk 8-10 hours a day on average.

Next I made a commitment to only having one serving per meal. Then, serving = plateful...so I'd pile it on. It was okay though because one heaping plate of food was less than I had been eating.

The one-serving-and-no-soda method got me down to around 320 lbs. I started counting calories last summer and joined MFP some time around November. I was 306 lbs. When I joined.

In late January 2013, I started doing Jillian Michaels DVDs. I have 30 Day Shred and Six Week Six Pack. I do a minimum of 30 minutes a day at high intensity, a minimum of six days a week. I push myself as hard as I can...and then push a little harder.

Since joining MFP, I've lost about 34 lbs. I'm at 272 lbs now with a goal of getting down between 220 - 230 lbs. My plan is to add lifting/weight training when I get down around 240 -250 lbs. My goal is to be able to work out with my brother. He's a D1 Running Back and in great shape.

i too quit soda cold turkey and mostly drink water now, my goal is to get to 240 250, so we are pretty close
  • FireEngineRedHead
    FireEngineRedHead Posts: 281 Member
    Options

my goal is your brother too ;)
    pahahahahha
  • Still_Fluffy
    Still_Fluffy Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I'm 6 feet was 390 at my heavest. I started running (jogging and walking). I signed up for races and over time I've dropped 130 pounds. I went from XXXL to XL and a 46 pants to 34 to 36 in pants. In last year 18 months I have been doing a lot more lifting so I've gained some weight back in muscle but I look a lot better. The keys it to keep moving. Figure out your TDEE and eat 20% less. Good luck!
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    very cool guys, right now i am hitting the heavy bag, jogging on the treadmill, using the stationary bike and elliptical, also doin crunches and resistance bands, and then me and the wife are goin for walks in the evening, all that and the calorie counting seems to be doin good, im down 20 lbs since the begining of the year, good to see others out there like myself

my personal opinion...... add in some heavy lifting.... you will be glad you did. I am just under 6 ft.. have been as high as just under 300 and as low as 185.
  • FishingGuy75
    FishingGuy75 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I'm also a big guy (6' 5") and have topped out over 400 multiple times. Several years ago I was able to drop 170 pounds by doing nothing more than working out twice a day (exercise bike, resistance bands, various DVDs) and watching my caloric intake. For me the two things that made me most sucessful were keeping a food log - both good and bad - and just making sure I mixed up the exercise to keep it from getting boring. It doesn't really matter what you do as long as you're active.

If anyone wants to start an informal "Big Guy" support network please feel free to add me as a friend.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options

my personal opinion...... add in some heavy lifting.... you will be glad you did. I am just under 6 ft.. have been as high as just under 300 and as low as 185.

this^

get thee in the weight area! NOW

http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/
  • rjc0914
    rjc0914 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm about 5'11" and in October weighed in at 260+ lbs. Started counting calories and doing some occasional exercise (walking, stair jogging, etc.) and dropped like 30 pounds in 3 months. Then I decided to try getting some more exercise so I bought 10 Minute trainer (by Beachbody/Tony Horton the p90X guy) because I don't have a lot of time to work out in the day. Started it in January but didn't really lose any weight. Then I read a lot about the whole not eating enough calories/BMR/TDEE stuff and decided to give that a try. Upped my calories around mid February, continued working out (usually 2 10 min. trainer DVD's every evening) and since then I've been dropping the pounds and toning up considerably. Now I'm down to 210 and people are really noticing which is nice. Anyway, I think the key is not eaiting as little as possible but getting the most out of what you eat to fuel your body for your level of activity for that day. If I know I am going to get some extra excercise, I'll eat a little more that day. If I know i am going to skip working out, a little less. It takes time but listen to your body, it will let you know if you are under-fueled. Oh and don't be scared of cheat meals/days. I've had PLENTY of those inthe past few months and have still mangaged a steady weight loss. Hope that helps. Good luck man!
  • Richie2shoes
    Richie2shoes Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I started in January at 370, although at my heaviest, I was 385. I'm trying to keep my calories under 2200 and just be more active in general. I set up a home gym in a spare bedroom and exercise at least 3x a week. Now that the weather is better, I'm trying to do more outside. Part of my yard is overgrown with scrub trees and grape fine, so I am going at it old school with an axe, pick and shovel. Let me tell you, if you want to feel a work out, put down the barbell and chop down a tree with an axe!
  • rjc0914
    rjc0914 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm about 5'11" and in October weighed in at 260+ lbs. Started counting calories and doing some occasional exercise (walking, stair jogging, etc.) and dropped like 30 pounds in 3 months. Then I decided to try getting some more exercise so I bought 10 Minute trainer (by Beachbody/Tony Horton the p90X guy) because I don't have a lot of time to work out in the day. Started it in January but didn't really lose any weight. Then I read a lot about the whole not eating enough calories/BMR/TDEE stuff and decided to give that a try. Upped my calories around mid February, continued working out (usually 2 10 min. trainer DVD's every evening) and since then I've been dropping the pounds and toning up considerably. Now I'm down to 210 and people are really noticing which is nice. Anyway, I think the key is not eaiting as little as possible but getting the most out of what you eat to fuel your body for your level of activity for that day. If I know I am going to get some extra excercise, I'll eat a little more that day. If I know i am going to skip working out, a little less. It takes time but listen to your body, it will let you know if you are under-fueled. Oh and don't be scared of cheat meals/days. I've had PLENTY of those inthe past few months and have still mangaged a steady weight loss. Hope that helps. Good luck man!

Oh and yes reading the posts above, I have also started doing some weight exercises as well as the resistance band/non cardio dvds from 10 min. trainer and agree it is working wonders. Mix in some burpees too if you can.
  • jimjam3782
    jimjam3782 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm also a big guy (6' 5") and have topped out over 400 multiple times. Several years ago I was able to drop 170 pounds by doing nothing more than working out twice a day (exercise bike, resistance bands, various DVDs) and watching my caloric intake. For me the two things that made me most sucessful were keeping a food log - both good and bad - and just making sure I mixed up the exercise to keep it from getting boring. It doesn't really matter what you do as long as you're active.

If anyone wants to start an informal "Big Guy" support network please feel free to add me as a friend.

That sounds like a fantastic idea! I am 6ft and weigh 421 right now. I've yoyoed a lot, and I'm sick of it! I'd love to have a support group for us Big and Tall guys.
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    Being a 'big guy' means you're going to have an easier time losing weight than a 5' woman.

Eat enough calories (just not too much), ensure that you're still eating in a deficit while you're trying to lose weight, and make sure you lift while dropping weight to maintain your lean body mass (keep your muscle gained from carrying your fat a** around)

LIFT HEAVY. After a proper diet, this is the best thing you could do for yourself.

If you're not a fan of cardio... don't do it. Increase your non-exercise activity, or NEAT as you will see it around the forums. Cardio is best used as a tool to create, or increase a calorie deficit...

Make sure you are properly weighing and logging your food so that you aren't THINKING you're eating 2500 calories, when you're really eating 3500 calories...

ETA: To clarify increasing NEAT... it's all of the 'cute little things' people keep saying, like take the stairs, park further away from the store, s*** like that. Also, go out and do things. Go to the next beer festival in your area... even with drinking a few beers, walking 10 miles doing it is a good thing :D
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options

this^

get thee in the weight area! NOW

http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/

I have to agree, heavy lifting, if you can do it, will help maintain your muscle and help with body composition.
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I started out at 250lbs at my heaviest (5'11"). I am now down to around 199 or so (haven't weighed in a while). I have had my best results by following the MFP numbers, totally cutting out soft drinks, using sweetener in my morning coffee, cutting WAY down on fried foods, drinking lots of water, and getting in as much exercise as my work schedule will allow.

It sounds like you're on the right track.
  • __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    I'm 6'1, I was 320 now I'm 250. In just over a year here on mfp. I eat about a 500 cal deficit. I've been running the 5/3/1 program for 10 months now, seeing incredible results.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I started out at 300 when I started on this site, was a little heavier before that. I started noticing the biggest difference when I added lifting to my cardio, but you have to realize when you do that, you will gain a couple of pounds of water weight first until your body gets used to the lifting. I woulds say at your weight don't worry about doing crunches, you aren't burning a lot of caloried doing them, and you can't target stomach fat, so whatever time you put aside for that try something new to do.
  • jdad1
    jdad1 Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    i am 6' and was 251 at my heaviest. I never thought of myself as a big guy. Overweight yes, but just a reguler dude.