Eating for 3hr excercise

Options
Hi, I'm going from 2 to 3 hour sessions at derby and I'm not sure how to stop the rumbling stomach for that long! I snack about 40 mins before so that I don't feel pukey normally, and by the end of 2 hours my stomach is grumbling for a proper feed.

What do you guys eat just before/during excercise of that sort of length?

Replies

• rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I am not sure what a derby is, but I suggest poking your head into some marathon websites or into the group here and see how they stay refuelled for their runs. Just a suggestion.
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Is it possible just to take a break and have a small snack like a KIND or LUNA bar?
  • pennydreadful270
    pennydreadful270 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    roller derby. :)

yeah we get short water breaks frequently where we talk about the next thing we're going to practice, so there is time to eat something quick. I'm just not sure what.
  • SuMcP
    SuMcP Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Take a protein shake for your water break. It will give you the nutrition you need as well as the hydration.
  • clafrentz
    clafrentz Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I run marathons so I'm pretty familiar with fueling up for long exercise periods. You want it to be something easy to digest and portable. Low fiber so you don't get an upset stomach. When you're exercising for long periods, your digestive system slows down so that it can use the energy elsewhere. High fiber snacks will just sit in your digestive track. Runners often use things like Luna/granola bars (if they don't have too much fiber) or "gels" that you can get at a sports store. Its a small pack of gel that is 1-2 tbsp and usually has about 100-120 calories. It often has electrolytes and some have caffeine. If you don't want to go that way, try something with simple sugars like a handful of jelly beans or gummy bears. Hope that helps!
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    roller derby. :)

yeah we get short water breaks frequently where we talk about the next thing we're going to practice, so there is time to eat something quick. I'm just not sure what.

have bananas in between the sets - that's what I do at rugby tournaments - so i dont over eat but yet get filled properly
  • TravisBikes
    TravisBikes Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Look up Skratch Labs Hydration Mix.

Cyclists use it for long distance/endurance events. Works amazing. Also google search "allen lim rice bar" you can make them yourself, rice bacon and eggs, they taste amazing.

Better than trying to use a clif bar or other stuff.
  • al369
    al369 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Take a protein shake for your water break. It will give you the nutrition you need as well as the hydration.

That's what I would try.
  • Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    I go to 3 hour zumbathons a few times a year and what I do is eat a big meal before I go, like lasagna, or something with carbs. It takes me 30 min to get there so the food as time to settle. You can also bring a protein bar to eat mid-way through.
  • pennydreadful270
    pennydreadful270 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great tips guys, I love this place! :)