Why is maintenance so frustrating?

Options
I was at my goal weight but I've been going up and down 1-3 lbs daily (but I haven't been back to goal in two weeks). I stay under my calories and I'm really frustrated. I just want to get to and stay at my goal weight for more than one day! I feel like I can't just stay under my calories, but I have to cut out white carbs and the occasional treat for maintenance. It's not hormonal, like I thought it was initially. I jog but I haven't in two weeks - just walking - could that be the problem? Maintenance can't be this hard!

Replies

• SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    I struggle with maintenance as well. I would think that since my food choices are typically good that when I do go off the rails a little bit, it wouldn't hurt, but it always does. My "dirty" eating is equivalent to most people's clean eating, so why oh why does it cause immediate weight gain, bloating...etc.?!?! That leads me to believe that it IS hormonal (or possibly inflammation)...
  • lolablitz
    lolablitz Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I've seen your diary, Sniccifit and you DO eat super healthy and lots of good protein. It's good to know that I'm not alone, although it sounds like staying at a good fighting weight takes some fighting. Are you gluten intolerant? Sometimes I wonder if I am.
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    I've seen your diary, Sniccifit and you DO eat super healthy and lots of good protein. It's good to know that I'm not alone, although it sounds like staying at a good fighting weight takes some fighting. Are you gluten intolerant? Sometimes I wonder if I am.

Yes, I've self-diagnosed myself! LOL! I had terrible, awful digestive issues for about 8-12 months that the doctors just could not explain. They told me I was just constipated and needed to take mirilax 1-2 times/day. I was like "what?!" Seriously, isn't that a SYMPTOM?! So... I got rid of gluten (and dairy). I had already given up all artificial sweeteners because I thought that might be the problem. Turns out that when I do eat gluten, I get very, very sick for like 5 days! If I just have a bite here and there, I'm fine, but if I have a few bites 2 or 3 days in a row, it's hell. Thankfully, I haven't been terribly sick like that since the last time I binged on stupid gluten & dairy foods for 3 days (last fall).
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I was at my goal weight but I've been going up and down 1-3 lbs daily (but I haven't been back to goal in two weeks). I stay under my calories and I'm really frustrated. I just want to get to and stay at my goal weight for more than one day! I feel like I can't just stay under my calories, but I have to cut out white carbs and the occasional treat for maintenance. It's not hormonal, like I thought it was initially. I jog but I haven't in two weeks - just walking - could that be the problem? Maintenance can't be this hard!

Stop focusing on a silly number on the scale, then you won't freak out over natural daily fluctuations in your weight
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options

Stop focusing on a silly number on the scale, then you won't freak out over natural daily fluctuations in your weight
    THIS. If you've reached goal, then work on your fitness.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    To me, a goal weight makes no sense. Our bodies naturally fluctuate up and down all the time due to our food choices, exercise, hydration, hormonal changes, even the weather.

I set a goal range of about 7 pounds. I weigh a couple times a month. Sometimes I'm at the high end, sometimes the low end. I don't really care. If I see myself regularly exceeding my range, I'll reconsider my methods and focus a bit more, but six months in and I've only been above the range once or twice (after some seriously fun weekends).

What really matters to me is how I look, feel, and perform in the gym. My weight is pretty secondary to that. I want to fit into my clothes and be strong and have great endurance. I really had to shift my goals when I stopped losing weight; the external motivation of the scale isn't there.

If you are always aiming toward one arbitrary number, you're setting yourself up for major disappointment and stress.
  • lolablitz
    Options
    I understand the philosophy of not sticking to numbers on the scales, but I don't agree with it. If I didn't care about numbers on the scale I would still weigh 165 lbs. For me the numbers aren't arbitrary at all but indicators of the size of my body. And they really are; I have a small frame so I look a lot different at 127lbs than I do at 129 (it's all in my stomach/love handles). So personally I will always use the number on my scale as a guideline, but I respect those who follow other indicators.

I like the idea of focusing on my fitness. Thanks for that tip. I think it's what I'm missing.
  • lolablitz
    Options

Yes, I've self-diagnosed myself! LOL! I had terrible, awful digestive issues for about 8-12 months that the doctors just could not explain. They told me I was just constipated and needed to take mirilax 1-2 times/day. I was like "what?!" Seriously, isn't that a SYMPTOM?! So... I got rid of gluten (and dairy). I had already given up all artificial sweeteners because I thought that might be the problem. Turns out that when I do eat gluten, I get very, very sick for like 5 days! If I just have a bite here and there, I'm fine, but if I have a few bites 2 or 3 days in a row, it's hell. Thankfully, I haven't been terribly sick like that since the last time I binged on stupid gluten & dairy foods for 3 days (last fall).

Wow! Miralax is terrible. Sometimes I'm amazed at how slow the medical establishment is to pick up on things. Have you read Wheat Belly? I've heard it's really eye-opening. We're probably all a little intolerant to the mutated gluten that's in our baked goods - and almost everything else - now, and the less you eat it the more sensitive you become (your bodies like wtf?! I thought we were done with that stuff). I should really try cutting back.
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    stop weighing yourself everyday. You should only do it once a week.