Cancer Survivor Struggeling to Lose the Weight

ibcaree
ibcaree Posts: 3
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
Are there any other cancer survivors out there struggeling to lose the weight like me? I've been working out hard at the gym for 8 months a minimum of 5 times a week and changed my diet. I'm having such a hard time losing the weight. I feel great, I'm toning up and losing some inches, but the weight just won't come off. I'm afraid the chemo and steroids have screwed me up.

I am curious if there is anyone else out there with the same issues and wondering if anyone was able to make a breakthrough and finally start losing the weight.

Replies

• jill1doug
    jill1doug Posts: 1
    i have had the same problem!!!!!!! i have heard chemo makes your body store fat, to protect itself, but yes - i have been doing the "right" things and STRUGGLE to lose anything, while other people are shedding the weight off! frustrating!
  • MommyofLily
    MommyofLily Posts: 149 Member
    I do not have or have not had cancer, but in the last year have had MANY MANY crazy health problems and have done a lot of research to try to help heal myself and get healthier. My biggest discovery has been my food allergies. I had a blood test done to see if I had food allergies and found out I am allergic to wheat/gluten, ALL dairy, beef, sunflower seeds and brewer's yeast. Since cutting out all the food for the last couple months, my weight loss has been a bit easier, I feel so much better inside, my acne has cleared up, my chronic eczema has mostly gone away (the eczema was destroying my life!), etc. I'm not saying it's a cure-all, but it might be something to think about. I had gained 40 lbs in a matter of months because of the stress my body was being put through with my job and then eating all the food that was literally toxic to my body. I lost some weight by eating better food, but was still eating dairy and beef and whole wheat foods, etc. until I found out about my allergies. Since then, my system seems to be much happier.

I hope this helps in some small way. Good luck to you and keep up the good work! It sounds like you're working really hard to take care of yourself!
  • VictorianJade
    VictorianJade Posts: 705 Member
    My mom's in the same boat- breast cancer survivor, and has been kicking her own butt for months- she did a six month study with exercise, diet, weigh-ins, yada yada yada... she is part of a rowing team (this just started a few weeks ago), and walks EVERYWHERE, sometimes 20-30 kms in a day, at a fast pace (she's 6' tall and has long legs). In six months of just kicking her butt, she lost only 5 lbs. She's very discouraged.

All I can suggest is talking to your doctor to see if there's something that can help.

Just know you're not alone out there.
  • ibcaree
    ibcaree Posts: 3
    Thank you all for the replies.

Jill1doug - It's so frustrating huh?! How long ago did your treatments end? I completed mine July 09. I can't believe I've only lost 5 pounds since September. I can only hope that eventually all this hard work will pay off. I can't find any answers anywhere. I think a success story would help me out ya know? lol!

VictorianJade - I'm in the same boat as your mother. Only 5lbs lost. I wish my Dr. would help me out, but they look at me like I'm crazy. My weight distributes evenly so my looks can be deceiving. I don't look as heavy as I weigh. I have 18 pounds to get back to my pre-cancer size and I'd like to lose 5-10 more on top of that.

Anyone else out there? Any success stories with losing weight after chemo?

Thanks!
  • alittlebird
    alittlebird Posts: 18 Member
    Are you still there?
This discussion has been closed.