Inground pool opinions?

Options
omma_to_3
omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
Two options: 18X36 Vinyl Lined pool WITH auto cover vs. 14X33 Fiberglass free form pool (WITHOUT auto cover). Cost is about $5K more for the fiberglass pool (and remember it doesn't include the auto cover - but we have concerns about the maintenance and repair cost of the covers).

Thoughts? Everything else between the two is pretty comparable, though we know the installer for the fiberglass far better.

Replies

• omma_to_3
    Options
    Bumping in case anyone has opinions.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    No one on MFP is rich enough to have an in ground pool.
  • DebraYvonne
    DebraYvonne Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    lol not me either!
  • sizzleXd
    sizzleXd Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Lmao . Trailer park life here. No pools within 5 miles
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Just what the world needs; even more privately owned pools. Oceans and lakes work great, and bonus, you'll make a connection with nature.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I have an in ground pool, but is not the one that you described in your post. Sorry but I can't be of help maybe Mr. Google can.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Fiberglass without a cover. You can put one on. The vinyl can be a pain to maintain I have heard.
  • TurtleRunnerNC
    TurtleRunnerNC Posts: 768 Member
    Options

Community pool is as close as I can get right now. Sorry.
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I would do fiberglass if you don't want to do a concrete-esque type inground pool. I've managed pools for 13 years so I'm semi-knowledgeable.

And now I have pool ads on my browser. Great.
  • 4_Lisa
    4_Lisa Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    It doesn't get warm enough here long enough to warrant an investment like that... hot tube... maybe. LOL
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Just what the world needs; even more privately owned pools. Oceans and lakes work great, and bonus, you'll make a connection with nature.

And what is wrong with having a private pool if you can afford one?

Not everybody lives near the ocean or by a lake .The OP was asking for an opinion abut certain kind of pool, she was not asking for judgments or opinions about building one.
  • AmyMgetsfit
    AmyMgetsfit Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    My daughter and her husband have one. My 2cents is expensive and a lot of work to maintain and repair if something goes out. I think theirs is fiberglass.
  • TAMayorga
    TAMayorga Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I know absolutely nothing about the various types of pools. But if you truly can't make a decision based on the quality/maintenance of the two, I'd go with the longer one. It'd be better for swimming laps.
  • clydethecat
    clydethecat Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    my company services pools. vinyl liner pools are harder to clean then fiberglass, but not by much. having a cover is really worth it for both keeping it clean and for safety.

liner pools come with the problem of being punctured by anything sharp. fiberglass is a little stronger.

we dont deal much with fiberglass and liner pools, i think we have one of each on service. they each have their own issues. mostly with how much chemicals can be used, and how to brush/vac the pool. i'm not sure you can have an auto cleaner in a fiberglass or liner pool.

personally i would go with the covered pool, mostly for safety, but also for keeping it clean, and keeping chlorine levels steady.

you're installer should have some good information to help make your final decision. after its all installed you will have to keep it clean, keep the equip clean and keep the chemicals at the right level, either through a service company or doing it yourself. its a lot of work to keep up a swimming pool.

what type of equip is being installed? is it a cartridge filter? are you having a heater installed? what type of pump, what horse power?
  • AmyMgetsfit
    AmyMgetsfit Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    If you don't get a cover, you will be spending a lot of time cleaning out the pool of debris that has blown in before you can jump in. My kids have a cover and stuff like frogs and leaves still manage to get in.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    i have inground pool, new liners cost 3 to 5 thous to replace the vinyl, i would go with fibreglass.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    and you don't have to be rich to own a pool, and its minus 25s here in the winter.,
    its called,,, you take care of your money.,
  • omma_to_3
    Options
    If you don't get a cover, you will be spending a lot of time cleaning out the pool of debris that has blown in before you can jump in. My kids have a cover and stuff like frogs and leaves still manage to get in.

There will be a cover on either. The issue is whether an automatic cover is worth it. We can get a great deal on one with the vinyl pool., but not the fiberglass one (different companies) so we wouldn't be able to afford it with fiberglass.
  • omma_to_3
    Options
    my company services pools. vinyl liner pools are harder to clean then fiberglass, but not by much. having a cover is really worth it for both keeping it clean and for safety.

liner pools come with the problem of being punctured by anything sharp. fiberglass is a little stronger.

we dont deal much with fiberglass and liner pools, i think we have one of each on service. they each have their own issues. mostly with how much chemicals can be used, and how to brush/vac the pool. i'm not sure you can have an auto cleaner in a fiberglass or liner pool.

personally i would go with the covered pool, mostly for safety, but also for keeping it clean, and keeping chlorine levels steady.

you're installer should have some good information to help make your final decision. after its all installed you will have to keep it clean, keep the equip clean and keep the chemicals at the right level, either through a service company or doing it yourself. its a lot of work to keep up a swimming pool.

what type of equip is being installed? is it a cartridge filter? are you having a heater installed? what type of pump, what horse power?

Yes, you can use an auto cleaner on any type of pool. I disagree that it's a 'lot' of work to keep up a pool. Yes, definitely work, but a couple hours a week isn't a lot (we had one growing up).

Equipment: we haven't decided on a filter type (sand vs cartridge). We are doing a salt system and solar tube heating. Not sure on the pump specs.

Do you have any experience with auto covers? We're concerned about high cost to repair and maintain.
  • UrbanLotus
    UrbanLotus Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Don't do an auto cover, they are problematic. I like vinyl - you can customize shape, it can be deeper, looks nicer, feels better on the feet etc. Vinyl does have to be replaced, but every 25 years or so I think.

You can certainly have an automatic vacuum in a vinyl pool and the upkeep is minimal, don't know why everyone thinks pools are so much work