Teenage daughter wants to "tone up"

Options
13»

Replies

• rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    M16yr old daughter lifts weights with me every morning.... and heavy ones too.

But if you are not up for or into that, maybe some Cha Lean or Jillian Michaels Dvd's from walmart.

Is that safe!!! Surely her bones are still developing.

Um...yeah? Thus the reason why most schools offer weight lifting as a class. Honestly, developing a foundation in weight lifting at that time is perfect timing really. With them still growing, the weight lifting indirectly helps strengthen bones as well. It is much slower than muscles but just like the body pumps more blood and fluids to the area to speed recovery, so to does it pump calcium and stuff to the area to aide the body in strengthening the bones there too.

Also, I forgot about that. If she really wants to get into weight lifting and stuff like that, I would look into her school I know my old high school had a weight lifting class as a PE possibility, and they basically do the same thing the YMCA does and helps to develop a strong starting base with proper form, etc... and they are constantly supervised with it.
  • BigDaddyRonnie
    BigDaddyRonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Going to the gym for as long as I have been, I see young girls like this quite frequently. They get on the elliptical or stair climber or treadmill and work up such a sweat thinking they need to build a calorie deficit to lose weight to "look better." In reality, they are emaciating their body...the "skinny fat" syndrome.

It may be difficult, but try to influence her to use weights. Even if she "gains" weight, it will be muscle mass. And no, it WILLNOT make her look bulky. Having great muscle tone is a great fitness and personal well-being attribute.

To me...size 0 means nothing. And to Jillian Michaels, it is the same...it doesn't mean anything as well.