recovering from sickness

stephlewis
stephlewis Posts: 59
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
2 weeks ago I had a terrible, terrible virus. It took a lot out of me, and I've been trying to rest up. Yet it seems when I have a really good day or two I crash again almost sick-like. I'm just so use to being able to do that typical 'super-mom' routine...and cannot do that right now still. I have NEVER had a sickness affect me for this long.

I feel the urge to work out, yet do not know what some good light workouts would be. I'm the type that feels as if I'm not breakin a sweat, I'm not challenging my body. Today I did 100 jumping jacks, and 100 squats, and 'marched' to cool down. I was a little dizzy after but felt great. I can continue to do this but know I need to 'change it up' to keep my body guessing.

Any suggestions for some good low impact workouts or cardio that I can do?

Replies

• fit4kim
    fit4kim Posts: 15 Member
    Stationary bike is a great low impact way to workout....you can go as fast or as slow....raising your heart rate up and down...do what your body will allow especially after being sick.
  • needamulligan
    needamulligan Posts: 558 Member
    Walking?
  • AndriaLL
    AndriaLL Posts: 162
    I'm also recovering from a nasty virus. When I've been sick I try to stick to things like tai chi, yoga (if you get dizzy maybe not as you get upside down), and swimming. I especially like swimming as my gym also has a steam room next to the pool which feels good to raw lungs and sinuses.

Hope you feel better soon!
  • Ms_Natalie
    Ms_Natalie Posts: 1,030 Member
    Hi there,
    Viruses take a very long time to recover from...although the initial symptoms have now stopped, your body may still be recovering from it. Some people take years (in extreme cases) leading to a diagnosis of ME so you must let your body recover for a little longer. If you're body is crashing, it appears that it still needs time to regenerate and recover. I would suggest low cardio activity for a while and only increasing this when you are no longer crashing every couple of days. I would stick to your allocated calorie intake but keep intense exercise to a minimum. Although I am no expert, I would think that your body would prefer to fight the remainder of this virus rather than burn fat in an exercise routine...

So...Relax =) x
This discussion has been closed.