Exausted...gained 5 lbs...& eating emotionally again

Options
Spiraling down...
First I went on vacation - walked all day every day and ate w/out logging - gained 5 lbs and I feel sh**y.
I'm having some kind of issue w/ my monthly friend too - bloating and terrible hormones - seeing a dr for that, but no relief.
All of this is leading to depression and emotional eating, which I thought I was over, but apparently not.
I was so happy to be at my lowest weight ever a few weeks ago, now I feel huge again and very discouraged. I don't know if I have some sort of imbalance - hormone or nutrient - that's messing up my body. I did change my calorie intake about 1.5 months ago so I could have a more sustainable intake. The worst thing is that I feel like I don't have a path out of this state of being. I'm always tired - physically; I want to do things, but my body feels weak.
Sorry for the huge list of complaints - if you have any suggestions they'd be welcome.

Replies

• AboutT1ME
    AboutT1ME Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    1 day at a time. gaining 5 pounds on vacation is not that bad. don't let it get the best of you. do you get headaches?
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    It's difficult to make valid suggestions without knowing anything about you.
  • Amy_Andrews
    Amy_Andrews Posts: 106
    Options
    First of all, don't think of this as a dead end, just a speed bump. It's much easier to get back on track then to start all over again.

Second, do something - anyting. Start small. A nice long walk will not only give you more energy, but ease some of your menstrual symptoms and be a great starting point.

Don't give up!
  • Jimmygymgym
    Jimmygymgym Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    1) If you were having success before, you already know what to do. Just get back on it!!! You can do it. You know you can do it because you've already done it.

2) If you're going to eat emotionally, make yourself a nice big salad! It's amazing how much more healthy food you can eat for so many fewer calories.

3) If you're tired, is it because you've stopped exercising or because you're doing too much? I'm more tired when I don't exercise than when I do...except when I overdo it.

C'mon, slugger. You can do it.
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    1) If you were having success before, you already know what to do. Just get back on it!!! You can do it. You know you can do it because you've already done it.

^^ This. Also, I'd try a multi-vitamin if I was you. I've found they help with my menstrual symptoms and help with my energy level. B vitamins are your friends.
  • slynnalex
    slynnalex Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the encouragement. I guess 5lbs isn't terrible, but disappointing. You're right, one day at a time; 'can't go back and fix things. No head aches, just very tired. I think my hormones are really messing w/ me; it's like riding a roller coaster. I was excited to be at my lowest weight for my dr appointment - annual check up - this Friday. I wanted to be in my healthy range for weight for the first time in many years. I'm going to turn 50 this year and wanted to give myself the gift of being in shape and at a good weight for my birthday; this is still possible, but I'm a bit worried that I won't make it.
    Time to get back to confident - fake it until you make it...
  • slynnalex
    Options

^^ This. Also, I'd try a multi-vitamin if I was you. I've found they help with my menstrual symptoms and help with my energy level. B vitamins are your friends.

Yes, I have been successful (lost about 20 lbs, taking into account the 5 gained back) - unloaded lots of oversized clothes and hope to do the same w/ my summer things. I need to get on track.
    I've heard about B vitamins helping - have to check to see which foods have more of these & ask the dr about a multi vitamin. I'm really wishing that menopause would just kick in at this point.
  • phoenix7039
    Options
    I've been an emotional eater most of my life as well. Sometimes I have to make a little deal with myself. If I really want that "comfort food" of choice, I have to drink 1-2 glasses of water first. If I still want it, it helps me to have less of it because I feel fuller from the water. I also try to find healthier alternatives that will give me the same satisfaction without as much guilt. You can do it!
  • missymakayla
    missymakayla Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Take one day at a time, and don't beat yourself up..It is what it is, and it's just a bump in your journey... Don't give up, move forward... Good luck.....
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    1 day at a time. gaining 5 pounds on vacation is not that bad. don't let it get the best of you. do you get headaches?

This ^^ Especially if you've recently upped your calories and are dealing with hormones, this doesn't sound bad at all. A good deal of it is likely water. As a woman myself, I understand the frustration of the hormonal gains and the mood swings that can go along with it. You really just have to pull yourself up by the bootstraps and carry on. You KNOW that overeating is not really going to make you feel better. It's just going to give you more reason to wallow in your misery. So, just STOP IT.

You CAN control this. You ARE strong enough. Do NOT cave. Take a walk. If you crave chocolate try some low cal chocolate almond milk instead of a candy bar. YOU can do this. (seriously, you really can!!) And you will feel so much better when you do.
  • Melissa11412
    Melissa11412 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    If you were happy to be at your lowest weight a few weeks ago, then you probably haven't done much damage. I can completely understand the emotional eating though. I tend to be an "all or nothing" person....either my weight training, cardio and diet are on point 100%, or if i have a small holiday or binge episode i say EFF IT and let it go all the way. Meanwhile, 2 weeks later i'm feeling horrible and think to myself "why is it worth it??" (i'm 48 and still struggling with the emotional eating btw)

the hardest one is the FIRST ONE....the first step back to getting in the groove. for me, the first workout sucked, i didn't want to be there, but once i was done i thought "that wasn't that bad....i made it through" i then wanted to start making better choices to support the fact that i was back in the swing of things.

i also learn that i have to cut myself a break every once in a while and not get all freaked out because i ate whatever i wanted, went on vacation and slacked off, etc. it's not all black and white, it's a journey, relax.....like life itself trends will ebb and flow, and i have to calm down and go with it. be open to the fact that i got off track, take responsiblity, and get in the solution.

Melissa
  • cardiophile
    Options
    A 5 pound weight gain is pretty normal around your period. Increase in hunger is also completely normal. Feelings of sluggishness and not wanting to exercise are normal too.
    It's a mind-f*** when you worked so hard and then it just seems to be for nothing. Don't worry, once your monthly cycle leaves, the weight gain in that short amount of time will fall right off if you get back on track.
  • slynnalex
    Options
    I've been an emotional eater most of my life as well. Sometimes I have to make a little deal with myself. If I really want that "comfort food" of choice, I have to drink 1-2 glasses of water first. If I still want it, it helps me to have less of it because I feel fuller from the water. I also try to find healthier alternatives that will give me the same satisfaction without as much guilt. You can do it!

That's a great strategy! I have to try this.
  • slynnalex
    Options
    If you were happy to be at your lowest weight a few weeks ago, then you probably haven't done much damage. I can completely understand the emotional eating though. I tend to be an "all or nothing" person....either my weight training, cardio and diet are on point 100%, or if i have a small holiday or binge episode i say EFF IT and let it go all the way. Meanwhile, 2 weeks later i'm feeling horrible and think to myself "why is it worth it??" (i'm 48 and still struggling with the emotional eating btw)

the hardest one is the FIRST ONE....the first step back to getting in the groove. for me, the first workout sucked, i didn't want to be there, but once i was done i thought "that wasn't that bad....i made it through" i then wanted to start making better choices to support the fact that i was back in the swing of things.

i also learn that i have to cut myself a break every once in a while and not get all freaked out because i ate whatever i wanted, went on vacation and slacked off, etc. it's not all black and white, it's a journey, relax.....like life itself trends will ebb and flow, and i have to calm down and go with it. be open to the fact that i got off track, take responsiblity, and get in the solution.

Melissa

Yup, I don't know why I thought I'd gotten over emotional eating. I also don't have the satiation trigger that tells me when I'm full - or it seems to turn off sometimes. Now that the weather has gotten better I hope to get outside more and enjoy exercising. I need to make myself exercise, it's not 'fun' for me.
  • slynnalex
    Options
    A 5 pound weight gain is pretty normal around your period. Increase in hunger is also completely normal. Feelings of sluggishness and not wanting to exercise are normal too.
    It's a mind-f*** when you worked so hard and then it just seems to be for nothing. Don't worry, once your monthly cycle leaves, the weight gain in that short amount of time will fall right off if you get back on track.

I've heard others say that they avoid weighing in that week, but weighing keeps me motivated; even if it's discouraging sometimes. I've been hoping that most of the gain is 'water weight', but I don't know if that's some kind of myth that my mom passed down to me.
  • slynnalex
    Options

This ^^ Especially if you've recently upped your calories and are dealing with hormones, this doesn't sound bad at all. A good deal of it is likely water. As a woman myself, I understand the frustration of the hormonal gains and the mood swings that can go along with it. You really just have to pull yourself up by the bootstraps and carry on. You KNOW that overeating is not really going to make you feel better. It's just going to give you more reason to wallow in your misery. So, just STOP IT.

You CAN control this. You ARE strong enough. Do NOT cave. Take a walk. If you crave chocolate try some low cal chocolate almond milk instead of a candy bar. YOU can do this. (seriously, you really can!!) And you will feel so much better when you do.

Initially MFP, w/ the standard settings, suggested 1340 calories. I'm 5'9" and began at ~185 lbs. After I lost some weight MFP lowered the suggested calories to ~1240 - this left me hungry and cranky. I combed through the postings and did a calculation for TDEE(??) and increased my calories to 1400, just a little higher than the initial amount. This made me feel better and I had more energy (not as cranky either). I admire all the folks on this forum who have done so well. I don't post often, but I read everyone's stories and am so impressed.
    Now I'm having trouble sticking to 1400 - before I had days when I had to eat a little extra to get to my calorie requirement.
    You're right - I know that overeating isn't the right path. It makes me feel bad and it actually doesn't work to fill whatever void I'm trying to fill.
    Thank you for your encouragement!
  • synthomarsh
    synthomarsh Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    stop.....
  • rumplesnat
    rumplesnat Posts: 372
    Options
    So brush yourself off and move on. No point in wallowing in a funk unless you want to stay there. Today is a new day, so use it to your advantage!!! :flowerforyou:
  • KaraAlste
    KaraAlste Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    :smile: Keep your head up. We are emotional creatures. Therefor, we eat, shop, work, call friends based on emotions. I find when my emotions get too strong I feel uplifted by using an approach based on science. So, do some extra research and find a proven method that combats bloating and hormonal issues through foods that heal.
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I am right there with you. My husband left for a month and I ended up losing control of my new habits a bit. I was losing weight nearly every week, but the last after he left, I was up a pound, down a pound, and as of yesterday, back up a pound. It's tough, but I've just told myself I really need to make an effort to get back on track. He's my "coach" sort of, and the funny part about it is I usually don't need him to tell me to get up and work out, or remind me that I'm nearing my calorie goal for the day. But since he left, I've started to flounder a little bit. I let it get me down for a couple of days, but then I thought of all of the work I've put in so far and decided it's time to get back at it.

You just need to take a deep breath and get back on track. You can definitely do this!