To my constipated friends! ;)

Options

Replies

• thinkcrystal
    thinkcrystal Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    My new friend is Fiber One 90 Calorie brownies. I have one a day to keep life good and get a good chocolate fix at the same time.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE those things....I eat them at night when i have that chocolate craving.
  • Linda916
    Linda916 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Hey darlin I would suggest to you to buy some Smooth Move Tea instead. It's milder and works as an over night relief. It really does work and probably costs less. A plant based relief method vs. chemical. It's awesome. You can find it in the Tea isle of any grocery store. It's a medicinal tea.
    [/quote

I have the same continuing problem because I have IBS. You can also find this at the dollar store- same active ingredient but it's called 'dieter's tea' . I suggest only drinking a 1/2 cup at a time to start. And hang out close to home if you knowwhatImean! :tongue:
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Thanks for everyones input! I am very curious though, for those of you who have cut gluten out of your diet. How hard was that for you guys? Did you get use to it quickly...but did it take a while to adjust. That sounds really extreme of a lifestyle change. Just wondering how you guys are adjusting to it. :)
    Thanks!

Let me PM you an answer so I don't appear to be hijacking this thread.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    There is a biological reason why this is working for you. The active ingredient in Milk of magnesia is magnesium. Americans are chronically deficient in magnesium due to the consumption of filtered and purified water. When water came primarily from natural sources, such as wells, we got plenty of magnesium into our diets. Now, we are getting most of our water from purified sources, hence the deficiency.

You can save some money and avoid a dependency on laxatives if you take a low dose of magnesium daily (200mg). Magnesium does a lot more than keep you regular, it also improves thinking and nerve functioning. That is why you feel more energetic, too.

Do not take your magnesium with calcium. The two have opposing ionic charge, canceling each other out. Calcium supplements should be avoided in any case due to the risk of kidney stones and hypertension. Science has also proven that calcium supplements do not help prevent osteoporosis. So skip the calcium, and just take a low dose of magnesium in the evenings before bed (this is when the body needs it the most).
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    Thanks for everyones input! I am very curious though, for those of you who have cut gluten out of your diet. How hard was that for you guys? Did you get use to it quickly...but did it take a while to adjust. That sounds really extreme of a lifestyle change. Just wondering how you guys are adjusting to it. :)
    Thanks!

My advice is not to look for gluten-free alternatives to the foods you already eat (most of the time this will only leave you wanting "the real thing"). Instead eat foods that are naturally gluten-free (fruits, veggies, meat, nuts). Overall, it wasn't that difficult. I really missed bread for a while, but now I don't even think about it.
  • ddellner
    ddellner Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    QUOTE:

My new friend is Fiber One 90 Calorie brownies. I have one a day to keep life good and get a good chocolate fix at the same time.

How much fiber is there in a serving
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    I was "off" for months when I started this change in eating.. i went to fiber one and even prunes..( I love prunes) but lately I think my body has FINALLY adjusted and I am back to being regular without having to add any extra fiber like I did in the past.. It has taken 6 months but i hope I stay this way..
  • crimsoncat
    crimsoncat Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Went to the hospital for constipation that was so bad I couldn't move from the pain. The doctor told me plain, air popped popcorn, more veggies and WATER WATER WATER because too much fiber without water can cause you to get plugged. He didn't like the fiber one products because of all the sugar and extra stuff.

Worked wonders for me. Water + fiber is really is great solution.

Also, I like to use the Phillips capsules for mild constipation. They work well for me.
  • 9jenn9
    9jenn9 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Here's my two cents worth. I used to to fiber con tablets. The worked great, but the side effects were bloating and pressure. It was as bad as not going. Went to my doctor. She recommended citrucel. I started taking it 2x a day, then moved to 1x a day. It took a few days for my body to get in the groove, but now all is well. No food babies, no bloat babies. You can take it everyday according to the doctor.
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    I use Metamucil.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Drink warm lemon water first thing in the morning and last thing at night. You will/should become regular like clockwork.
  • Zumaria1
    Zumaria1 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Drink warm lemon water first thing in the morning and last thing at night. You will/should become regular like clockwork.

I agree. I always drink my water with lemon and notice a big difference with bloating and constipation. I also avoid too much bread, it also plugs me up. You can also try beans and lentil peas, they have a ton of fiber, but don't forget to drink alot of water to help the fiber along.
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Hey darlin I would suggest to you to buy some Smooth Move Tea instead. It's milder and works as an over night relief. It really does work and probably costs less. A plant based relief method vs. chemical. It's awesome. You can find it in the Tea isle of any grocery store. It's a medicinal tea.

The "Smooth Move Tea" is an herbal laxative tea. It has the same side effects as pharmaceutical laxatives. Like any stool softener/laxative they can become habit forming (ones digestive system becomes reliant on softeners/laxatives to have a bowel movement) I personally have tried "Smooth Move," Laci Le Beau's "Dieters Teas," as well as pure senna/casscara sagrada tea. Those cause a lot of cramping and undesired bloating and gas. I agree with you hon, Milk of Magnesia works like charm!!! Like anything moderation is key when using either "natural" or pharmaceutical.

Ditto the above post. Smooth Move is neither milder or works better. Just because it's "natural" doesn't mean it's safe. I haven't tried Milk of Magnesia, I have to rely more on Insoluable fiber (which isn't easy to find!), Miralax and lots and lots of water. Avocado's seem to help too, lol. My issues are caused from Protein intake and nothing medically is wrong.
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    magnesium-citrate-14056_1.jpg
    OMG! I remember that stuff as a kid! That was in the "last resort" corner of the med-cabinet. Best used when you have a Friday snow-day or some other 3-day weekend.
    I didn't have c-problems often, but I will admit that I've upped my fiber intake slowly/gradually to >40g/day and have gone from 'good' to 'even better'. I always seek natural forms first (apples, pears, beans, etc.). However, I will supplement with clear fiber powder (mixes well in anything: water, juice, yogurt) and Fiber One choc bars; both have 9g each. I learned the hard way to spread fiber intake out across the day! No more 35g in morning and 5g at nite... that's a recipe for painful bloat!
  • mrsTravo9112
    mrsTravo9112 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I go "old school" with PURE Prune Juice... I cup as needed. I noticed with my eating healthier that with drinking at least the 8 cups of water regurally & exercise that I am a bit more regular. If i miss a day or two, i look back at my diet & tweek - by eating cleaner & making sure my water is in & i usually go within the next 24 hrs. Also, I have a warm or room temperature glass of water every nighht before bed & after my morning workout (keeping hydrated with water during that also) I usually go - if not i go to the prune juice to get it in (or OUT) by the time I'm ready for bed that night.

I would stay away from any item that is regulating or that you have to take everyday in order to go... Try plenty of fresh fruits (apples & oranges, carrots, leafy greens).

Most of the women in my family have suffered from over--using laxative... especially after having children... Not a good thing. Your body because addicted very quickly & thinks it needs 'it' to go.
  • Loosing4me
    Loosing4me Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    This topic is perfect timing for me. Thanks for everyone's input - I'll be putting some of it to good use today!
  • yayagirl2
    yayagirl2 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I bought a nutri blast and use it once a day with the greens/fruits /fiber boosts they recommend. I have had a bowel resection so things were never the same after that and truly this has really helped. I have a aways eaten good fiber, veggies fruits but for some reason this works the best.
  • ddellner
    ddellner Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Has anyone use Chia Seeds
  • smaihlee
    smaihlee Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    There is a biological reason why this is working for you. The active ingredient in Milk of magnesia is magnesium. Americans are chronically deficient in magnesium due to the consumption of filtered and purified water. When water came primarily from natural sources, such as wells, we got plenty of magnesium into our diets. Now, we are getting most of our water from purified sources, hence the deficiency.

You can save some money and avoid a dependency on laxatives if you take a low dose of magnesium daily (200mg). Magnesium does a lot more than keep you regular, it also improves thinking and nerve functioning. That is why you feel more energetic, too.

Do not take your magnesium with calcium. The two have opposing ionic charge, canceling each other out. Calcium supplements should be avoided in any case due to the risk of kidney stones and hypertension. Science has also proven that calcium supplements do not help prevent osteoporosis. So skip the calcium, and just take a low dose of magnesium in the evenings before bed (this is when the body needs it the most).

^^^THIS^^^

I discovered magnesium in January. I try to get plenty of fiber and I drink at least 8 glasses of water every day, but magnesium has been life-changing for me, and honestly I don't know if I would have made this much progress without it.

* Magnesium has taken me from a person with chronic constipation to "going" just about every day
    * Magnesium has calmed my nerves
    * Magnesium has helped me get to sleep faster and stay asleep longer
    * Magnesium has virtually eliminated my nighttime leg/foot cramps, and has made my menstrual cramps almost disappear
    * Magnesium has cut my cravings for sweets and alcohol to a level I never imagined possible (and is a big reason I've been able to stick to a healthier eating plan)

Magnesium is a natural relaxant for many major body systems. It is a mineral, so the risk of interactions is very low. It's used in so many different medical applications that, once you consider them, help you to realize why it is so beneficial to the body when used in a daily maintenance dose.

The product I use is called "Natural Calm". It's Magnesium in powder form that is dissolved in warm water and taken at bedtime. The dose is slowly increased over time to give the body time to adjust. Fiber is good, but sometimes not enough.
  • LauraW1219
    LauraW1219 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I used to be the exact same as you. 30 mins after a meal and no problems. Then I started dieting and the other problem started happening. It drove me crazy. I tried the teas, prunes, and everything everyone kept telling me. Here's the thing I lack a gall bladder. I have a friend who's a chiropractor. She told me to try a herbal medicine label name is Standard process with the medicine cholacol. It depends on what you eat, but little fat 1 tablet up to 3 tablets. It has helped me greatly.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!