Soreness after strength training

Options
I am trying to lift weights more often to gain muscle mass. I am slowly increasing the weights I am lifting to figure out my max so I don't injure myself... but I feel weird that I don't feel more sore right after working out or even the next day.

So, I have a stupid question. How sore should I be after a 30-minute lifting session? How sore is "normal" for the day or two after? Thanks!

And yes, I have the "New Rules of Lifting for Women" requested at my local library. I hope to get it soon! :)

Replies

• PureAdamic
    PureAdamic Posts: 185
    Options
    Soreness isn't in direct correlation with a good strength type work out.

You should be seeking progress by adding weight to your lifts over time, not by how sore you are.

If the lifts don't go up but you feel sore every time, you aren't really getting strong. If the lifts go up and you are never sore, you are still getting strong.
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    There is no clear cut answer on soreness or Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness (DOMS). If you are new to lifting then you may experience soreness soon after lifting an a few days later. Once you lift for a while you will be less sore after your session and will feel little to no DOMS. If you introduce a new exercise then you may feel soreness or DOMS. So DOMS is common if you are new or introducing a new exercise. Don't judge your workout on soreness or lack thereof.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

You should be seeking progress by adding weight to your lifts over time, not by how sore you are.

If the lifts don't go up but you feel sore every time, you aren't really getting strong. If the lifts go up and you are never sore, you are still getting strong.

Agreed.

On a related note... if you are looking to add muscle mass, you'll eventually need a calorie surplus.
  • swimmermama
    swimmermama Posts: 526 Member
    Options

Agreed.

On a related note... if you are looking to add muscle mass, you'll eventually need a calorie surplus.

That is GREAT to know. I've been worried that I was going easy on myself, even though I think I am lifting close to my max at this point.

I'm working on the calorie surplus. I am still trying to figure out how to do that in a relatively healthy way while being 80% vegetarian :)
  • PureAdamic
    Options
    That is GREAT to know. I've been worried that I was going easy on myself, even though I think I am lifting close to my max at this point.

I'm working on the calorie surplus. I am still trying to figure out how to do that in a relatively healthy way while being 80% vegetarian :)

Milk, Chocolate Milk, Chocolate milk mixed with protein powder.
  • BeinAwesome247
    BeinAwesome247 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I'm a little sore the next day but not exceedingly so.
    I know that I didn't wimp out and as long as I see progress with how many reps I'm doing and an increase in weight over time, I'll be happy
  • miche_smash
    miche_smash Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I always wondered about this too. I thought if I wasn't sore then maybe I didn't work hard enough but then I wondered if I'd be sore all the time forever!!
    It makes sense that you'd be sore after a new exercise, but not necessarily if you're just adding more weight/reps to your existing exercise.
    Thanks for asking this question :)
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    This is as COMPLETELY UNSCIENTIFIC as it gets, but my feeling is that some people are more "prone" to soreness than others. I'm not sure what plays into it... diet, genetics, etc... but some people seem to be sore after almost every workout while other people (like myself) are almost never sore.
  • PureAdamic
    Options
    This is as COMPLETELY UNSCIENTIFIC as it gets, but my feeling is that some people are more "prone" to soreness than others. I'm not sure what plays into it... diet, genetics, etc... but some people seem to be sore after almost every workout while other people (like myself) are almost never sore.

Ive felt that only specific exercises will get me sore, basically anything unilateral even after having them in a program for 3 months I'll still get a soreness.
  • swimmermama
    swimmermama Posts: 526 Member
    Options

You know, I haven't been sore but my legs and arms HAVE felt shaky or like "spaghetti arms." Maybe that's just how I feel soreness.
  • jacksonpt
    Options

You know, I haven't been sore but my legs and arms HAVE felt shaky or like "spaghetti arms." Maybe that's just how I feel soreness.

That's me on leg day. No pain/soreness, but stairs are a problem for about 6 hours.