Anyone use seaweed for anything??

Options
amk44
amk44 Posts: 159
I've read about how nutritious seaweed is and I have easy access to buying it, so I wondered if anyone has any dishes or soups that include seaweed. I'm an adventurous cook and eater, so am willing to consider anything... :smile:

Replies

• xTattooedDollx
    xTattooedDollx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I use it when I make homemade sushi! Yummy! And its great if you have a thyroid problem.
  • Ms_Natalie
    Ms_Natalie Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I'll have to try it out! It's not readily available here (I could try the beach, i suppose) will hunt it out and try it! It's supposed to have amazing properties!

good luck on your search for seaweed recipes x
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    I'll cut a sheet or two up into little strips and my boys will snack on it like chips. Also, I'll take any salad or soup and toss in a bunch of strips.
  • Arleah
    Arleah Posts: 15
    Options
    I eat it as a crunchy snack, you can even buy flavored roasted seaweed at asian supermarkets!! also great in salad, soups and stir fry!
  • amk44
    Options
    Interesting, akarns, because I do have some thyroid problems. I wasn't aware of that benefit... Thx.
  • amk44
    Options
    ghani, how cool! Great idea! I'll look for the sheets the next time I'm at the Chinese grocery store. I picked up a bag of what looks like dried spinach and tossed it into some chicken broth just to taste it, and found the resulting soup to be satisfying, albeit not very creative. :smile:
  • amk44
    Options
    arleah, it sounds like I need to go browse... :wink: I may be approaching this the hard way... :laugh:
  • BoyMomCar
    BoyMomCar Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Oh it is great for many things!! You can cut a sheet of seaweed up into 6 pieces and throw a spoon full of rice and then what ever ingredient you want and fold it together. (Red peppers, cucumber, avocado, salmon, chicken, etc.) You can add a touch of hot sauce to spice it up. You can also add shredded pieces to salad or soup. Hope this helps!
  • meokk
    meokk Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Hi Amk44,
    I love all varieties of seaweed. While the crunchy toasted sheets are tasty they usually add lots of salt and cook them in oil so I try to stay away from those. If you can find unsalted ones they made a good snack - WARNING - I have found that several types say they have a minimal amount of sodium but they are actually VERY salty.

I like to get the dried bunches that come in plastic bags, they have not been processed at all. My favourite is Laver, it looks like a black lump when dry but turns transparent purple. You can put it in almost anything but one fave way is I take a chunk and soak it in warm water, it comes back to life! and gets nice and soft. Then I chop it into small pieces and add to a bowl of sliced cucumbers with a vinegar / soy dressing. It's really good to add into any sort of stir fry.

yummy!!
  • angela75022
    angela75022 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    All of this sounds great... I'm going to have to try it... THX
  • Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    Dried kelp? is a good replacement for salt. :)
  • hiddensecant
    Options
    ghani, how cool! Great idea! I'll look for the sheets the next time I'm at the Chinese grocery store. I picked up a bag of what looks like dried spinach and tossed it into some chicken broth just to taste it, and found the resulting soup to be satisfying, albeit not very creative. :smile:

Well, that saves you from having to cut it, haha.
  • chris31
    chris31 Posts: 19
    Options
    I live on the east coast and I buy a delicious seaweed salad at the local fish market. It is make with fresh seaweed sesame seeds and a soy dressing.
  • hiddensecant
    Options
    I live on the east coast and I buy a delicious seaweed salad at the local fish market. It is make with fresh seaweed sesame seeds and a soy dressing.

I love seaweed salad! It's a different kind of seaweed than what we're talking about though. You can't make it with the dried stuff.
  • kermiehiho
    kermiehiho Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure where you are and what kind of Asian foods you have access to, but I simmer kombu (dried kelp, I think) in a chicken broth-brown sugar mix with kabocha (Japanese pumpkin - it's green on the outside, and orange on the inside) steaming over it. Love it.
    Wakame is also easily added to miso soup. Yummy...
    Also use ocean salad from my local grocery store with somen and kamaboko.
    One more thing is putting nori (the stuff used to wrap makizushi most of the time) as a topping on the ramen (or saimin) and let it get nice and soft.
  • bojkoj19
    bojkoj19 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hi there :)

I live in Korea and they eat seaweed all the time. Kids eat it as a snack!! If you don't like the taste too much or don't want to overpower anything, I would suggest slicing it up and putting it in your veggie soups or you can shred it up and mix with some salt and sprinkle it on top of some brown rice mixed with some veggies and a fried egg (Koreans call that bi bim bop) It's also great to sprinkle it in stir frys with sesame seeds (also amazing for you) , and I put some in my green smoothies(banana, berries, spinach or kale with water, bended into a smoothie) in the morning. But I use it like it's a dried herb and sprinkle it on tons of things :) Also the easiest answer, make homemade sushi rolls :)

Good luck and enjoy!!