Need a bit of individual help

Options
I've been in MFP for over 15 straight days. I'm liking it so far and have lost 6 pounds. I have no complaints. But reading a lot of the information for this forum has me a bit confused. If someone would help me out, I would really appreciated it.

I weight 245 pounds. I measure 5, 8' and I'm 27 years old. My goal is to reach 175 pounds eventually, at 2 pounds a week.

MFP has set my daily calorie goal to 1580. My BMR is 2,063 (according to MFP) and my TDEE is 2,726.

Some people have been telling me that my calorie goal is too low and that, eventually, it will lead me to a plateau.

I've read in the forum that it should eat 20% of my TDEE. That would mean that my goal should be 2,180 calories net.

Is that accurate.

Any help is welcomed.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,958 Member
    Options
    Yes. Eat between the 2063 and the 2726. So 2180 is about right.

If you use this method, do NOT eat more on exercise days. Just stick to the flat 2180.

Congrats on your weight loss so far.
  • LeahT84
    LeahT84 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I say do what works for you while it works. If you're losing weight at your calorie intake, I would stick with it until you do get stuck. At that time, reevaluate what you're doing. MFP tells me to eat 1590 before exercise. I eat between 1200-1400. I have been doing this since the beginning, 7 weeks ago, and I have lost 25 pounds. Why change what works for you?
  • davypr86
    davypr86 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I say do what works for you while it works. If you're losing weight at your calorie intake, I would stick with it until you do get stuck. At that time, reevaluate what you're doing. MFP tells me to eat 1590 before exercise. I eat between 1200-1400. I have been doing this since the beginning, 7 weeks ago, and I have lost 25 pounds. Why change what works for you?

I guess. I'm not exactly suffering with the food I'm ingesting. I'm generally satisfied. To eat more calories I feel I would have to force feed myself.

Thanks for the advice.
  • cmriverside
    Options
    Just wondering...

Why did you ask if you were going to continue to do the thing you're doing?

From now on my response is, "Do what you want. Have a nice life."

So, good luck. :flowerforyou:

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

I guess. I'm not exactly suffering with the food I'm ingesting. I'm generally satisfied. To eat more calories I feel I would have to force feed myself.

Thanks for the advice.

If eating more than 1580 calories feels like force feeding yourself, how in the world did you ever get to the point that you need to lose weight? Were you actually force fed?

What kind of diet are you following. Are you meeting your fat and protein goals? Are you hungry other than right before a meal? Do you have enough energy for your workouts?
  • davypr86
    Options
    Just wondering...

Why did you ask if you were going to continue to do the thing you're doing?

From now on my response is, "Do what you want. Have a nice life."

So, good luck. :flowerforyou:

I'm not sure I understand your question. I'm asking to know if I should continue or not. I'm still open to other suggestions.

I'm sorry if my other response somehow offended you.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Yes. Eat between the 2063 and the 2726. So 2180 is about right.

If you use this method, do NOT eat more on exercise days. Just stick to the flat 2180.

Congrats on your weight loss so far.

This is good advice.

There are a lot of reasons not to eat very low calorie, and cutting 20% from your TDEE is a good way to achieve a healthy rate of loss.

Also, don't expect to lose 2lbs per week until you reach your goal. As you get closer to your goal weight, you should adjust down and only aim for 1lb per week, until you're within 15-20lbs of your goal - then you should aim for 0.5lbs per week.
  • davypr86
    Options

If eating more than 1580 calories feels like force feeding yourself, how in the world did you ever get to the point that you need to lose weight? Were you actually force fed?

What kind of diet are you following. Are you meeting your fat and protein goals? Are you hungry other than right before a meal? Do you have enough energy for your workouts?

Good question. I am wondering how I am now at a point where I'm not suffering. The thing is I'm talking about 1580 net. Before I started MFP I wasn't working it out much, if any. So, I'm eating more relax, but this motivates me to work out more. At first, after the workout I would be really tired. But I'm feeling better now, since I'm in a better shape.

I used to munch a lot and eat at bad hours. But I don't feel that need now. It's more of a mental thing, I guess.

Right now I'm not following any diet. I'm just counting calories. However, I am making sure to include snacks since they accelerate the metabolism.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    The hormone that regulates your hunger is called Leptin. If you eat less, your leptin production decreases and you feel full on fewer calories. If you eat more, you feel more hungry.

Listen to science, not your feelings. You may feel like you're stuffing yourself at the right number of calories, but your body will adjust and you will soon feel hungry for the right number of calories.
  • cmriverside
    Options

Good question. I am wondering how I am now at a point where I'm not suffering. The thing is I'm talking about 1580 net. Before I started MFP I wasn't working it out much, if any. So, I'm eating more relax, but this motivates me to work out more. At first, after the workout I would be really tired. But I'm feeling better now, since I'm in a better shape.

I used to munch a lot and eat at bad hours. But I don't feel that need now. It's more of a mental thing, I guess.

Right now I'm not following any diet. I'm just counting calories. However, I am making sure to include snacks since they accelerate the metabolism.

Well, if you are eating NET 1580, that means you have been entering exercise into MFP's Food Diary. That's good, because it means you ARE eating 2100ish a day, then.

Much better.
  • bcattoes
    Options

If you are eating 1580 net, then you may not need to change anything. If you feel hungry or tired, you could probably up it a little. Do you know what your average daily total intake is (if you averaged over 5-7 days)?
  • davypr86
    Options
    If you are eating 1580 net, then you may not need to change anything. If you feel hungry or tired, you could probably up it a little. Do you know what your average daily total intake is (if you averaged over 5-7 days)?

My math is not too good.

Subtracting my weekly (7 days) deficit from by goal, I got over 8,030 calories in one week. Last week, my deficit was 3,030.

That would mean that on average, I'm getting 1,147 a day net.

Is that too low?
  • 2FatToRun
    2FatToRun Posts: 810 Member
    Options

Thanks for the advice.

I am going through exactly what you are as far as force feeding! I had to force breakfast down my gullet and last night for dinner I wasnt all that hungry. Today after breakfast was better I went for a walk and i was def hungry for lunch. I am thinking it is my body still adjusting because at first my FP RDI was the one it auto gave me now it is custom thanks to a veteran FP member who walked me through it. I am slowly working on getting up to my daily RDI but have decided not to force it. It will eventually lvl out and I will by then be able to do a more strenuous exercise regimen. Take it slow as long as you are losing keep it up but make sure to get someone who is exp in this area to help you through where your RDI should be fit for you. Good Luck
  • marygee1951
    marygee1951 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I just joined MFP yesterday. Sorry to be ignorant, but could you please tell me what BMR and TDEE stands for. Where do I go on this site to learn more.

Thank you.
  • davypr86
    Options
    I just joined MFP yesterday. Sorry to be ignorant, but could you please tell me what BMR and TDEE stands for. Where do I go on this site to learn more.

Thank you.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013

I hope this helps. :)
  • bcattoes
    Options

My math is not too good.

Subtracting my weekly (7 days) deficit from by goal, I got over 8,030 calories in one week. Last week, my deficit was 3,030.

That would mean that on average, I'm getting 1,147 a day net.

Is that too low?

That would be pretty low, espeically for a man. If you just add up your total calories per day for 7 days, then divide by 7, what do you get? How sure are you of your workout calories?
  • davypr86
    Options
    That would be pretty low, espeically for a man. If you just add up your total calories per day for 7 days, then divide by 7, what do you get? How sure are you of your workout calories?

The 1,147 is what I got, more or less. The thing is that my deficits are usually in 200-300. One day I had a deficit of over 700.

I just do the "elliptical trainer" for an hour. The machine says I burn around 800-860 calories.
  • bcattoes
    Options

The 1,147 is what I got, more or less. The thing is that my deficits are usually in 200-300. One day I had a deficit of over 700.

I just do the "elliptical trainer" for an hour. The machine says I burn around 800-860 calories.

I mean add up that total calories, without subtracting deficits or exercise calories. Just add the number it says you ate, regardless of how many were supposed to eat, then divide by 7.
  • davypr86
    Options

I mean add up that total calories, without subtracting deficits or exercise calories. Just add the number it says you ate, regardless of how many were supposed to eat, then divide by 7.

From monday, April 1st until Sunday, April 7th, I ate 13,013 calories

Divided by 7, that is 1,859.

What do you think?
  • cmriverside
    Options

From monday, April 1st until Sunday, April 7th, I ate 13,013 calories

Divided by 7, that is 1,859.

What do you think?

That isn't bad. Up that by a piece of peanut butter toast, and you're Golden.