Insanity and protein

Options
shivles
shivles Posts: 468 Member
I'm starting Insanity on Monday, according to the insanity calorie calculation I'll need 2400 cals a day (60kg, 5ft4, will be very active) now while that all seems ok the macros of 40:40:20 have given me a daily goal of 260g of protein. It seems like soooooo much! I was under the impression you're supposed to have 1g per kg of bodyweight? Should I be aiming to eat so much protein or is this just ridiculous?

Replies

• shivles
    Options
    Bump
  • JohnFit1984
    JohnFit1984 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    260g of protein (4:1 protein:bodyweight) is a very high protein intake. I've seen body-building plans that go as high as 1.5g/kg of protein but even then only if 1.25g/kg wasn't working. So I'd be very dubious if that was being suggested. You do need to account for the fact that you're eating more than in a normal balance diet.

I'd suggest working on 40:40:20 for your standard calorie intake (for the sake of example say 1400 cals) and then bulking the diet up with primarily carbs. This would give you a diet something like:
    140g Protein
    35g Fat
    390g Carbohydrate

That's still a higher protein level than I'd feel comfortable with but it's way less crazy than going for 1/4kg of protein every day!
  • shivles
    Options
    That seems sensible, I've heard of 1g per lb of body weight so that's around the right number.

Thanks!