Foodabuse?

Options
Ever heard of Antabause, the medication that causes a severe reaction if you drink alcohol? Isn't there something like that out there for food addicts? How about other safeguards against snacking? Specifically nighttime sweets. A friend of mine takes her thyroid medicine in the evening and says it's best not to eat after that. Are there any vitamins or minerals to be taken this way? I plan to brush/floss after dinner and maybe have a yummy, healthy drink before bed. ? These tricks might just be quick fixes, but I just need to break the cycle. I can hear the cookies screaming at me from downstairs right now.

Replies

• weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    I would recommend going low carb for a few days to break the cycle. I am doing that starting today, and already feel a difference. I don't plan to eat low carb forever, as I know it is not something I can sustain, but due to recent choices that involved more sugary processed carbs than was prudent, I found myself getting back into the cravings that used to keep me about 50 lbs. heavier. I took a tip from a fellow MFP'r and decided rather than fighting with myself, I would be better off to "just say no:" for a few days to get back on track. I feel better already, and by Monday, I will start re-introducing healthy carbs back into my regimen.

Tomorrow night will be difficult as their is my best friend's 50th birthday party, and their is a carrot cake in MY refrigerator that is intended for the party. I have had no difficulty ignoring it, as it is for the party. The problem will be when the party takes place!! LOL

I don't know of any drug or supplement you can take to lessen carb cravings. Good luck.
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    I think the only cure is willpower. Sorry!
  • ThumperWabbt
    ThumperWabbt Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I get the appeal of Antabuse for food, but we HAVE to eat...it would be a bit counterproductive to create an aversion to something necessary to keep us alive. But hey, if it could be target-specific, making us avoid our trigger foods, that would be spiffy.

I just don't keep the junk that trips me up in the house anymore. If the munchies hit, I have fresh fruit and fat free yogurt, and that usually does the trick... If I'm truly hungry, I eat. But for me the key is to not keep trigger foods in the house. I can't eat chocolate that isn't there...
  • sissy56
    sissy56 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I probably post about this too much, but reading The End of Overeating made me so mad at manipulation by snack food makers that it put me off a lot of processed food. And I love junk food; I'm not a naturally healthy eater.
  • KarenECunningham
    KarenECunningham Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I agree with eating low carbs to break the cycle. I have been eating low carb for over three months and I feel great. I eat complex carbs like brown rice, corn tortillas, brown rice cakes and fruits and veggies. A good snack if you are hungry after dinner is one brown rice cake (70 calories) with one tablespoon of Adams creamy natural peanut butter (100 calories). I feel that is a reasonable amount of calories for a treat or dessert. What I find amazing is that after over 3 months of not eating any simple sugar I could still jump right back in to that habit. I avoid after dinner and late night eating by brushing and flossing my teeth as soon as I am done eating. I also go to bed very early and watch t.v. from there.:smile:
  • tosize2
    tosize2 Posts: 32
    Options
    thanks, everyone! i brushed my teeth early and managed to not eat after dinner!!!!! I will try everything you suggested - the book, getting rid of the sweets, low carbs and more will power! hope you resisted the carrot cake ; )
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    The carrot cake is still hanging out in my refrigerator. It is going to the party tonight, so we shall see. The guest of honor LOVES carrot cake, (although she doesn't need it either!!:laugh: :ohwell: ) so maybe the problem will solve itself as there are two teenaged boys who will be there and it is a small cake. Can you say "gone in 60 seconds?":laugh: :laugh: :laugh: