How Many Calories did you burn "Cleaning House" last week?

Options
I'm Spring Cleaning & am totally sweating. I just sat down to take a break and realized ... Those Calories have to Count. I checked the Exercise Tracker & "Cleaning" listed as a Exercise. Pest Control is coming today & I have to clean, move furniture & put everything back in order. That's going to be a lot of calories burnt! So I have two Questions for you:

Q1. - Do you track your House Cleaning as Exercise? Yes or No
Q2 - How Many Calories did you burn "Cleaning House" last week? :smile:

Replies

• PureAdamic
    PureAdamic Posts: 185
    Options
    Q1. - Do you track your House Cleaning as Exercise? Yes or No
    No, I don't count things such as, but not limited to: Being a normal person.
    Q2 - How Many Calories did you burn "Cleaning House" last week? :smile:

None
  • JGainingHealth
    JGainingHealth Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I will likely be logging some this weekend/beginning of next week because we're moving... so it's kind of beyond the ordinary. Cleaning can be very rigorous regardless though - if I'm on my feet for hours on end, my heart rate is up and I'm sweating, I consider that to be exercise!
  • nvpixie
    nvpixie Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I only log cleaning as exercise when I do something out of my normal daily cleaning. I spent a lot of time cleaning yesterday, but only logged an hour (cleaning bathrooms, organized all 3 bedrooms/closets, cleaning floors). I don't log things like doing dishes or laundry because I do those things pretty much every day.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    No. I don't. I consider any extra calories a bonus.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    No. If it isn't something I had to put on my workout shoes and change my clothes for, I don't log it.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I only log dedicated cardio. Not cleaning.
  • selina884
    selina884 Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    Am I the only person who doesnt log these sort of calories?
    Neither do i log long walks.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Am I the only person who doesnt log these sort of calories?
    Neither do i log long walks.

4 out of the 6 people who responded said they don't. So no, you aren't alone.
  • writetomab
    writetomab Posts: 226
    Options
    None... My cleaner did it! :wink:
  • RawMomma10
    RawMomma10 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I log it. I live in a two story house... so between laundry and mopping and gathering trashes and going up and down the stairs 50 times... ... Im getting a good workout.

I only log housecleaning when I do my normal stuff PLUS floors.... because then that entails the mopping and vacuuming and carrying the vacuum up and down the stairs too...anything that has me running the stairs I will log even as just a few minutes..... PLus sometimes I need the calorie credit... especially if I had a cheat snack....
    :) If its just picking up and loading the dishwasher then no... lol...
  • sprintto50
    sprintto50 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I don't log cleaning but am aware I have burned extra calories doing it. Two hours of hard work every week add up.
  • DandelionCupcakes
    DandelionCupcakes Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I'm aware of the calories being burned but I don't log it. I see them as 'bonus calories'...regardless of logging them or not the workout still counts....I just don't think it's necessary to log my normal human daily activities.

Edited to add, when I saw "Cleaning House" with the little " " I imagined you raising your eyebrows while you said it, so I thought it was going to be a codeword for something sexy.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Yeah...no. I don't log this stuff. I think the last time I logged "cleaning" was when I was taking down Christmas decorations, and only the outside ones because I was up and down ladders.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    If it was something I did on a regular basis, I would include at part of my activity level...but really, it's spring cleaning...at least for me, a deep clean like that is once or twice per year and qualifies as an isolated incident.. Incidental house cleaning, cooking, etc are all a part of my daily activity level so I don't log that stuff as exercise.

What I might do in such an instance...and what I do when I have a good day out working in the yard...I enjoy a few more cold brews than I normally would.
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    No, I don't track housework.

I do know without a doubt that I did not burn as many calories cleaning as I should have! lol...
  • Loftearmen
    Loftearmen Posts: 380
    Options
    Cleaning your house is just living life, not exercising. The trend I have noticed is that people who are fat try to count everything as exercise to make an excuse for why they didn't get on a treadmill or lift weights. I deal with diabetic patients who try to play this card on me all the time and they're still going to die from complications of their diabetes.... Even though they did the laundry. People who are fit realize that cleaning up is just part of their day and should be included in their daily caloric expenditure.
  • chasetwins
    chasetwins Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I clean constantly LOL so no...I would log yard work (raking, shoveling etc. and I may even log some calories this coming week when we revamp our pond since I am positive moving stone slates has got to be a burn) but household stuff regardless of what. kind...I do not log.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Nope, I don't log it. It's just bonus burn!
  • ThatSoundsHard
    ThatSoundsHard Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Enh, rarely. If I spend the day moving furniture or something than yeah, sure I might count some of that as exercise. But for the most part, if I'm not going out of my way to do something specifically for the exercise then no.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I have a BMF. It gives me a estimate of my TDEE on a daily basis.

An office day: 2200.
    A home day w/ lots of cleaning: 2900.