How close are your weekly weight loss estimates?

Options
Hi! :smile: I joined MFP yesterday, and I was just wondering how close your weekly weight loss estimates are to what you actually lose. I set my calories for losing 1 pound a week, and I was just wondering how close your losses have been to what you expected. Thanks!

Replies

• danibu98
    danibu98 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I'm set to 1/lb/week and I've averaged 1.2/lb/week. It hasn't come off neat and clean like that though, it's more like .6, then 2, then nothing, then one... etc. But the average is 1.2
  • Alison12121
    Alison12121 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much! I'll just leave it at 1 then, and see how I do this week.
  • lightdiva1
    lightdiva1 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on how much weight you have to lose. I have had mine set t 2 pounds a week and the first 3 months I lost about 3 pounds a week. I don't lose it evenly though especially now. After about 2 months I started to notice the weight came off in chunks. 2 pounds in 2 days, 1 pounds 4 days later, nothing for 8 days and than 4 pounds lost and so on. I have a lot of weight to lose though.
  • Alison12121
    Options
    Thanks so much for your feedback! I appreciate it.
  • casy84
    casy84 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Mine was pretty good, but only the avg.
    One week I lost 100g(0.2 pounds), then 1kg(2pounds) the next and I did eat pretty much the same.
  • Alison12121
    Options
    Thanks so much for your feedback!
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    My weekly losses have varied widely. When I was much heavier I averaged more than expected and now that I am so close to the target I average less than .5 pound per week...but at least it is still moving!
  • AmandaReimer1
    AmandaReimer1 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I agree with what was said, one week is more, another is less. 1 lb is a good goal but I'd recommend giving it more than 1 week to determine if you need to change what your doing. The more weight to lose, the easier it will be.
  • kellymiller23
    Options
    Mine is set for 1 lb. a week, but I am actually losing about 1/2 lb. per week. I have adjusted my calorie intake a couple of times to see if it would make a difference, but nope. I guess that's just the pace my body wants to let go of it, and I'm fine with that. I'm learning patience.
  • Mock_Turtle
    Mock_Turtle Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    mine has been eerily matching expected results, although things are starting to slow down now. I set up my exercise and diet to target 2 lb/wk weight loss. Here is a graph with the red line = 2 lb/wk target.

I started at 236 lbs, with the main goal being 185 lbs - once I get there I will re-evaluate. I'm expecting weight loss to slow to 1.5 lb/wk as I've slightly bumped my calories.

wtloss_11apr13_graph.png
  • olDave
    olDave Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    My goal is one pound/week. I have lost 15 pounds in 13 weeks. On average, I have stayed right at my recommended calories.
  • darwinwoodka
    darwinwoodka Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I've lost 7 pounds in 54 days, and the estimate was .8 pounds per week, so pretty much spot on.
  • Live4theLift
    Options
    Weight loss is not linear, even though it says 2 lbs a week it could be 3 it could be 1 or none at all. I just went a week with nothin now I dropped like 4 lbs
  • dmjaroch
    dmjaroch Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm new to MFP. What do you do with your extra calories "earned" from exercise. I struggle with that because I want the extra bonus of exercise but don't want to deprive my body. I just finished a P90X program and didn't even lose 1 pound (didn't follow their nutrition plan but tried to watch what I ate and I think I wasn't getting enough calories. I'm 41 and 20 pounds from my goal.
  • olDave
    olDave Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Like others, my weight loss hasn't been "exactly" one pound every week. I have lost weight by counting calories before so I have learned to look at the long range average...not just a week at a time.

Good luck.
  • magpie0
    magpie0 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    For me, the weekly estimates haven't been too reliable but the 5 week estimate seems to be!