HDL, LDL, Triglycerides, and Cholesterol HELP.

I knew the dreaded results would be coming back today. I just didn't know how bad they would be. When I opened my patient portal, I broke down into a sobbing fit. I couldn't believe the numbers. Back track to 1/20/10, I started a medication called Accutane.

Accutane is a medication that you take for only 6 months for overproduction of oil in skin glands. Basically, if you have horrible acne, this is the last resort. (basically it is a extreme high dosage of Vitamin A)

They did my lab work, said my HDL, LDL, Triglycerides, and Cholesterol was perfect. But they warned me, that by going on Accutane it was going to royally mess with with my numbers. But they assured me, that once I was off the medication that I would go back to pre level conditions.

Oh but I haven't. Not by a long shot. And now I am absolutely terrified and don't know where to begin.

I went off Accutane on 8/6/2010. Here is my records since being off Accutane:
1/20/11 :
Cholesterol, Total 159 100-199 mg/dL
Triglycerides 59 0-149 mg/dL
HDL Cholesterol 38 >39 mg/dL
VLDL Cholesterol Cal 12 5-40 mg/dL
LDL Cholesterol Calc 109 0-99 mg/

2/9/12
Cholesterol, Total 198 100-199 mg/dL
Triglycerides 100 0-149 mg/dL
HDL Cholesterol 38 >39 mg/dL
VLDL Cholesterol Cal 20 5-40 mg/dL
LDL Cholesterol Calc 140 0-99 mg/dL

3/28/13
Cholesterol, Total 188 100-199 mg/dL
Triglycerides 245 0-149 mg/dL
HDL Cholesterol 32 >39 mg/dL
VLDL Cholesterol Cal 49 5-40 mg/dL
LDL Cholesterol Calc 107 0-99 mg/dL

Each time I have had blood work drawn, I have fasted properly. Nothing to drink or eat, because I want to get the most accurate results. I currently do not take any medication for cholesterol, but I know they are going to more than likely put me on them. (recheck in two months)

Heart disease, Heart Attacks, Strokes, run in my family rampant. I am only 34 years old, so this has me completely terrified. Where do I start? What am I supposed to eat? What exercises are going to help me? I know smoking is a bad thing, so tomorrow going back on the gum, but I don't want to overstress my body by going through too many changes at one time. But I am at a loss. I don't know what the numbers mean, all I know is they are bad. The doctor I go to is Indian (love him, but there is a minor communication problem between us two) so I know I would only understand part of what he says. Sadly in my podunk town there isn't a closer doctor.

Any advice, links, help, would be greatly appreciated. I am at a loss emotionally.

Replies

• willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    You are freaking out unnecessarily.

I'm just going to say do NOT go on statins if that is suggested.

Please DO read Dr Peter Attia's blog entries "The straight dope on cholesterol." There is a long series of in-depth posts backed by studies.
  • Falyesai
    Falyesai Posts: 41

Please DO read Dr Peter Attia's blog entries "The straight dope on cholesterol." There is a long series of in-depth posts backed by studies.

Thanks I will check it out. Just a bit freaked out about the huge increase in the triglycerides. At my height and weight, it can't be healthy. Sorry if I seemed a bit freaked, just wish I could understand it all and kick my self in the rear for not paying attention to it sooner.
  • cleback
    cleback Posts: 261 Member
    Unless my eyes are reading it wrong, your triglycerides are high and HDL is slightly too low. I don't see anything else that's really alarming. But it looks like you were normal in 2011. I don't think it's the Accutane anymore. Unfortunately, it may be genetics screwing up your numbers now, especially if these sort of things run in the family.

(PS I was on it too. My tris shot up as well-- had to watch what I was eating while on it-- but they went back to mostly normal once I limited my fats. Now, off the med, they're back to normal.)

Do you drink alcohol? Did you drink any close to the test? That can raise tris. If you don't already exercise regularly, make it a priority. That helps raise HDL. I would ask your doctor for a diet plan he recommends. If you have trouble understanding him, ask the nurse to go over it with you once he leaves. (Don't be embarrassed. I'm a nurse. It happens a lot.)

PS Congrats on deciding to quit smoking! That's wonderful. :) Good luck on everything!
  • Falyesai
    Falyesai Posts: 41
    Unless my eyes are reading it wrong, your triglycerides are high and HDL is slightly too low. I don't see anything else that's really alarming. But it looks like you were normal in 2011. I don't think it's the Accutane anymore. Unfortunately, it may be genetics screwing up your numbers now, especially if these sort of things run in the family.

(PS I was on it too. My tris shot up as well-- had to watch what I was eating while on it-- but they went back to mostly normal once I limited my fats. Now, off the med, they're back to normal.)

Do you drink alcohol? Did you drink any close to the test? That can raise tris. If you don't already exercise regularly, make it a priority. That helps raise HDL. I would ask your doctor for a diet plan he recommends. If you have trouble understanding him, ask the nurse to go over it with you once he leaves. (Don't be embarrassed. I'm a nurse. It happens a lot.)

PS Congrats on deciding to quit smoking! That's wonderful. :) Good luck on everything!

Thanks! That's the weirdest thing. I can't stand alcohol, never had the taste for it. I am thinking about seeing a nutritionist as well, actually going to see if we have one on our plan that can help me redesign the way I eat. My only weakness is diet coke and sweet tea, which I am trying to cut out. If I can quit smoking I can drop the diet coke (it masks the horrible taste of a cigarette) and go back to strictly water.

I just hate to see such high numbers, already my weight is a life struggle and hereditary. I think once I get help on what I should and should not eat, I can post it on my fridge, eliminate all the wrong foods from the house, and start fresh. Just where to begin has always been my weakest area.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Check out my profile...I've almost completely reversed all of this in about 6 months with proper diet and exercise...I predict I will be at normal levels for all come July and my next appointment...no meds here (though do follow your doctors advice...I'm doing my diet with the blessings of my cardiologist).

My overall diet is very Mediterranean inspired. This means, lots of veg..fruit..some whole grains, lean proteins, and healthy fats from things like nuts, avocado, and olive oil. These fats help up your HDL levels and lower LDL levels.

I've substantially limited dairy as it tends to be high in saturated fats...I've almost completely cut it out, though I do have an oz of cheddar now and then or fetta...but it's pretty rare. I used to drink about 1/2 gallon of whole milk daily along with about 1/4 Lb of good sharp cheddar...yeah...every day.

On that note, Saturated fats are something I track closely in my diary and you'll want to as well...also, eliminate anything with partially hydrogenated oil...that stuff goes straight to clogging your arteries. This means I've also reduced my intake of red meat (saturated fats)...I'll never give the stuff up, I like steak too much, but I keep it to once per week or twice at the most. It is getting harder now that I'm in grilling season...but still doing a lot more fish and poultry and lean cuts of pork on occasion to mix it up.

In RE to the triglycerides, watch your intake of simple, refined carbohydrates. I've eliminated high fructose corn syrup altogether and substantially cut back on my refined/added sugar intake. I have the occasional soda these days..maybe one every week or two, rather than the 3-5 per day that I used to have but I make sure they're cane sugar and not high fructose corn syrup. Like I said, I completely eliminated that crap.

In RE to your fruits and veg and grains, look for stuff high in soluble fiber...oatmeal, berries, oranges, grapefruit (just be careful with reactions to certain meds)...Brussels sprouts are natures drano as far as veg goes. Also, up your intake of omega 3 EPA and DHA....eat more fish, particularly fatty fish like salmon and tuna (more salmon if you're worried about mercury) but you'll also probably want to supplement with some fish oil pills. I try to get a combined 1,000 mg of EPA and DHA daily.

And as important as all of that, start moving more. Even if that means just going for a walk 3-5 times per week for at least 30 minutes...get some cardiovascular exercise...it goes a long way.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member

^^^THIS^^^ Statin drugs are a very unhealthy thing to do to a body. They create far more problems than they solve. The one thing I do notice is that your triglycerides are pretty high. This is usually a reflection of eating a lot of sugar (and simple carbs)---do you? What are your blood sugar numbers like? My triglycerides, LDL cholesterol and blood pressure and fasting blood sugar were all running pretty high until I went sugar free (and I eat very little grain as well). Not only has it facilitated weight loss but it solved all of the other problems. They are all in the normal range now. :smile:
  • SanteMulberry
    Check out my profile...I've almost completely reversed all of this in about 6 months with proper diet and exercise...I predict I will be at normal levels for all come July and my next appointment...no meds here (though do follow your doctors advice...I'm doing my diet with the blessings of my cardiologist).

My overall diet is very Mediterranean inspired. This means, lots of veg..fruit..some whole grains, lean proteins, and healthy fats from things like nuts, avocado, and olive oil. These fats help up your HDL levels and lower LDL levels.

I've substantially limited dairy as it tends to be high in saturated fats...I've almost completely cut it out, though I do have an oz of cheddar now and then or fetta...but it's pretty rare. I used to drink about 1/2 gallon of whole milk daily along with about 1/4 Lb of good sharp cheddar...yeah...every day.

On that note, Saturated fats are something I track closely in my diary and you'll want to as well...also, eliminate anything with partially hydrogenated oil...that stuff goes straight to clogging your arteries. This means I've also reduced my intake of red meat (saturated fats)...I'll never give the stuff up, I like steak too much, but I keep it to once per week or twice at the most. It is getting harder now that I'm in grilling season...but still doing a lot more fish and poultry and lean cuts of pork on occasion to mix it up.

In RE to the triglycerides, watch your intake of simple, refined carbohydrates. I've eliminated high fructose corn syrup altogether and substantially cut back on my refined/added sugar intake. I have the occasional soda these days..maybe one every week or two, rather than the 3-5 per day that I used to have but I make sure they're cane sugar and not high fructose corn syrup. Like I said, I completely eliminated that crap.

In RE to your fruits and veg and grains, look for stuff high in soluble fiber...oatmeal, berries, oranges, grapefruit (just be careful with reactions to certain meds)...Brussels sprouts are natures drano as far as veg goes. Also, up your intake of omega 3 EPA and DHA....eat more fish, particularly fatty fish like salmon and tuna (more salmon if you're worried about mercury) but you'll also probably want to supplement with some fish oil pills. I try to get a combined 1,000 mg of EPA and DHA daily.

And as important as all of that, start moving more. Even if that means just going for a walk 3-5 times per week for at least 30 minutes...get some cardiovascular exercise...it goes a long way.

Good advice! I also watch the saturated fat--eat way more fish than red meat but I do enjoy a steak now and then. Vegetables are your friends. For the time being, you might want to avoid going crazy with the fruit. I would keep it to one or two servings a day of low-fructose fruit. When you eat carbs, try to make them carbs with a lot of fiber. Also, you will probably want to watch your sodium-potassium balance. I have recently started tracking that. You should be eating at least 1.5 your sodium intake in potassium. In other words, if you eat 1,500 mg. of sodium, you should be eating 2,250 in potassium. Potassium is widely available in most foods so it isn't hard as long as you avoid processed food with a LOT of sodium (I think they put enormous amounts of salt in to cover the sugar that they add). Unfortunately, most of the entries in the data bank do not track potassium so you'll have to do it by hand for a while until you learn what's what.
  • alexveksler
    alexveksler Posts: 409 Member
    Take a look at my food diary. I have reduced cholesterol by 28% with diet only. My LDL dropped from 104 to 73 in 6 weeks and my Total cholesterol is now 138. My TRI is now 48.

I am 50 years old
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Take a look at my food diary. I have reduced cholesterol by 28% with diet only. My LDL dropped from 104 to 73 in 6 weeks and my Total cholesterol is now 138. My TRI is now 48.

I am 50 years old

I'd love to see your profile too since I have cholesterol issues but your diary isn't open. Can you please open it?
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Cut out the sugar entirely and any white flour type breads. NO deep fried foods! Eat lots of fresh veggies and some fresh fruit. Eat whole grains. Oatmeal everyday and add ground flax and chia. Eat some nuts and seeds for snacks. Instead of ducolax have Metamucil or psyllium whole husks everyday in plenty of water. You may also add 2 fish oil pills a day and 400mg of magnesium citrate. Lots of broccoli, brussel sprouts and cauliflower. You'll drop weight and flush out the bad cholesterol. Eat wild fatty fish like salmon and halibut. I brought my bad numbers to normal in 3 months! My MD wanted to put me on a statin but didn't after I got rechecked. Also MOVE your body and QUIT smoking for sure. You CAN do it!!!
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Cut out the sugar entirely and any white flour type breads. NO deep fried foods! Eat lots of fresh veggies and some fresh fruit. Eat whole grains. Oatmeal everyday and add ground flax and chia. Eat some nuts and seeds for snacks. Instead of ducolax have Metamucil or psyllium whole husks everyday in plenty of water. You may also add 2 fish oil pills a day and 400mg of magnesium citrate. Lots of broccoli, brussel sprouts and cauliflower. You'll drop weight and flush out the bad cholesterol. Eat wild fatty fish like salmon and halibut. I brought my bad numbers to normal in 3 months! My MD wanted to put me on a statin but didn't after I got rechecked. Also MOVE your body and QUIT smoking for sure. You CAN do it!!!

fiber has been overexaggerated.
    The first thing to do with lowering cholesterol is
    Increase monounsaturated fats, increase activity, and lose weight.

cholesterol can change very easily over a few weeks and dietary cholesterol has little to do with it

Something for people to know. Europe has a much higher cholesterol than america and saturated fat intake.
    They also have a much lower risk of CHD
    Take a look into red wine as well
    shoudl check up the
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member

cholesterol can change very easily over a few weeks and dietary cholesterol has little to do with it

Something for people to know. Europe has a much higher cholesterol than america and saturated fat intake.
    shoudl check up the
    well, that's how I got my LDL down and my HDL up. I've been using olive oil all my life and drinking red wine too. I really believe changes in diet truly work and moving of course. The biggest difference in my eating life was the elimination of white sugar and the addition of flax and chia seeds. Whatever it was exactly worked and I'm satisfied.
  • DatMurse

shoudl check up the
    well, that's how I got my LDL down and my HDL up. I've been using olive oil all my life and drinking red wine too. I really believe changes in diet truly work and moving of course. The biggest difference in my eating life was the elimination of white sugar and the addition of flax and chia seeds. Whatever it was exactly worked and I'm satisfied.

sugar doesnt have much to do with cholesterol because that its not its normal function.
    Studies have showed that fiber can do it but it is not very noticeable but just like getting heart disease, lowering your cholesterol are collaborative factors
  • squeakyfish
    squeakyfish Posts: 109 Member
    Research is starting to add up that more important than those numbers is the amount of inflammation you have going on in your body. In my own family, my 49 yr old BIL who has no history of cardiac issues in his family, has great numbers, exercises and is not overweight had a massive heart attack last fall. Everything was fine but he showed high inflammation (high CRP - which is a general indication that inflammation is going on somewhere in the body).

Quitting smoking really will make a huge difference - it helped my numbers a lot. Changing my diet has also helped. I have really worked to lower inflammatory foods and eat things that fight inflammation. A great side effect is that my total cholesterol number dropped from 226 to 164. Just through diet and quitting smoking and exercise. Foods high in sat fat can increase inflammation. Personally, I limit butter, cheese and red meat. I avoid anything with trans fats, and avoid full fat dairy. I eat plenty of unsaturated fat (seeds, nuts, avocados, hummus). I also take fish oil capsules and eat fish 1-2x week. Quit panicking and start educating yourself with regards to using food as medicine and I bet you'll see those numbers drop.
  • DatMurse
    Research is starting to add up that more important than those numbers is the amount of inflammation you have going on in your body. In my own family, my 49 yr old BIL who has no history of cardiac issues in his family, has great numbers, exercises and is not overweight had a massive heart attack last fall. Everything was fine but he showed high inflammation (high CRP - which is a general indication that inflammation is going on somewhere in the body).

Quitting smoking really will make a huge difference - it helped my numbers a lot. Changing my diet has also helped. I have really worked to lower inflammatory foods and eat things that fight inflammation. A great side effect is that my total cholesterol number dropped from 226 to 164. Just through diet and quitting smoking and exercise. Foods high in sat fat can increase inflammation. Personally, I limit butter, cheese and red meat. I avoid anything with trans fats, and avoid full fat dairy. I eat plenty of unsaturated fat (seeds, nuts, avocados, hummus). I also take fish oil capsules and eat fish 1-2x week. Quit panicking and start educating yourself with regards to using food as medicine and I bet you'll see those numbers drop.

europeans have a diet high in saturated fat and they do not have that effect.
    there are many factors for why.
    he may have an underlyng cardiac inflammatory condition or already had high cholesterol.

there are alot of things floating around that do not make much sense for us vs europe. they are also big smokrs. so it may have something to do with exercise and wine drinking but there are also factors such as overall diet.
  • jenns1964
    jenns1964 Posts: 384 Member
    I have an autoimmune disorder that causes high cholesterol. I have been on & off statins for years. My most recent test came back within normal range due only to the changes I've made in diet and exercise. You can do it.
  • SanteMulberry

shoudl check up the

When I cut out the sugar and starch, my blood pressure went into the normal range (and I had been on the max dose of two B.P. meds) BEFORE I lost very much weight. I agree that eating or not eating cholesterol has little to do with serum cholesterol levels. One's liver makes far more cholesterol than anyone could eat.
  • SanteMulberry

europeans have a diet high in saturated fat and they do not have that effect.
    there are many factors for why.
    he may have an underlyng cardiac inflammatory condition or already had high cholesterol.

there are alot of things floating around that do not make much sense for us vs europe. they are also big smokrs. so it may have something to do with exercise and wine drinking but there are also factors such as overall diet.

My European friends tell me that it is about portion control, eating less sugar than we do on a daily basis (they generally eschew processed food) and getting a lot more exercise. They are not a car-centered culture.
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 827 Member
    bump to read more later!:flowerforyou:
  • SanteMulberry

shoudl check up the

sugar doesnt have much to do with cholesterol because that its not its normal function.
    Studies have showed that fiber can do it but it is not very noticeable but just like getting heart disease, lowering your cholesterol are collaborative factors

But sugar has a lot to do with triglycerides.