Pigs skin - healthy or not?

Options
I have read in many places that pigs skin is very healthy for the skin and muscles.

In my family it was always said that eating skin makes your own skin much better too.

So quite often I boil pigs skins, scrape every little bit of fat I see off them (until I see only the transparent dotted skin) and then I eat them.

Am I doing myself good?

Should I avoid them?

It is one of the foods that actually goes down well, even though results in 3 day constipation.

Replies

• lauz45
    lauz45 Posts: 243
    Options
    Sorry, but I personally can't imagine anything worse, sounds revolting!
  • mk_hammer
    mk_hammer Posts: 105
    Options
    It rubs the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again.
  • Cre8veLifeR
    Cre8veLifeR Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    I don't eat pork. Especially not the skin.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Like chicarones? Or however you spell them?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

That's what I was thinking...but when you do proper chicharones, you include whatever fat and a little meat underneath the skin and you fry...tons and tons and tons and tons of saturated fats and lots of calories...but oh so delicious. 'Bout once per year.
  • MissFitee
    MissFitee Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Is there a substance in this specific part of the skin that isn't found in any other food?
  • cherilyn666
    cherilyn666 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    No, I just boil them with soy sauce and take off all the fat so that only the transparent layer is left.
  • cherilyn666
    Options
    Apparently there is "callogen" and other gelatinous substances that are essentially good. I am just not sure if that is entirely true. I was taught by my family that it is, however, they are hardly nutritionists.
  • Cassierocksalot
    Cassierocksalot Posts: 266 Member
    Options

That's what I was thinking...but when you do proper chicharones, you include whatever fat and a little meat underneath the skin and you fry...tons and tons and tons and tons of saturated fats and lots of calories...but oh so delicious. 'Bout once per year.

Yup!! From the carts at the flea market... with LOTS of hot sauce...
  • cherilyn666
    Options
    I am not "going" anything.

Fried saturated fats are about the worst thing I could imagine eating.

What I am asking here is whether the gellatine and collagen in pigs skin is worth eating or not.

Why would I want to make carcenogenous fatty snacks like that.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    I am not "going" anything.

Fried saturated fats are about the worst thing I could imagine eating.

What I am asking here is whether the gellatine and collagen in pigs skin is worth eating or not.

Why would I want to make carcenogenous fatty snacks like that.

that's ridiculous. animal fats are good for you. and as long as they're fried in good oils, they're absolutely fine. I make homemade fried chicken that's 100% "clean". (gluten free and everything)
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    gross
  • Getit_Simpson
    Getit_Simpson Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Google it...they're actually a very good source of protein, just high in sodium.
  • andrea464
    andrea464 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    In the south? Heck no- it's all fried!!!
  • Querian
    Querian Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    If you are playing football that is fine but eating the skin, that doesn't sound too appetizing to me. But if you like it and it fits into your daily calories I guess it's as good as any other skin, like fish skin or chicken skin. It seems like it would be more delicious if it were crispy though...

I'm already mostly vegetarian so my opinion is really not needed. Have an apple, or some lentils. Nobody disputes that those things are good for you.
  • gracjm
    gracjm Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I don't know for sure one way or the other regarding their composition. But I have never heard anyone say pork skin (or fried pork rinds) are good for you. It seems like I recall pork rinds going well with beer at sports bars.

The three days of constipation afterward would be enough for me to avoid them.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    I can eat pork for religious reasons but pretty sure they dont mean pork rinds lol
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I'd say it's good for you so eat it if you enjoy it and it fits your calories. Gelatine is good for hair, nails and bones. Everything in moderation won't hurt you unless you have medical issues already of course.
  • jus_in_bello
    jus_in_bello Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Do you inflate the bladder and play with it like Laura Ingalls Wilder in Little House?