Other than calories, what else do you restrict?

Options
BIW2012
BIW2012 Posts: 97 Member
This is kind of a spinoff from the Clean vs. Junk thread
(http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/951658-clean-vs-junk-does-it-really-matter)

Other than calories, what do you restrict? I.e. Do you measure your nutrients, do you limit sugar?

Are there some foods you plain won't eat (and for reasons other than just their calorie content?).

TIA

Replies

• SamDanielleB
    Options
    I try to focus on low-calorie, nutrient-packed things (like veggies), and proteins. Meat, eggs, etc. Mainly I try to avoid carbs, because they just don't stick to me long enough to keep me from being hungry.
  • SamDanielleB
    Options
    Also, artificial sweeteners. Although they have no caloric content, your body tastes the sweet and thinks "Yay! Sugar!" but is then disappointed when there is none to process and craves sugar more in order to get what it was expecting. So Splenda, diet sodas, etc. are all out.
  • xoTalim
    xoTalim Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I try to eat foods high in protein, and foods low in cholesterol, trans/saturated fats, and carbs. But I mainly just watch for my calorie intake.
  • Scott15Fit
    Options
    I don't restrict any particular food but I try and reach my protein goal, fat goal, fibre goal, keep sodium levels under target and have started focussing a little more on keeping sugar a bit lower as well as keeping calories in hand.
    Plenty of days that I don't hit all my goals and I don't let it worry too much - they are just idealistic goals.

I do this by eating lean meats (protein supplement sometimes), veges (lots for fibre), avocado, butter, oil etc (fat), low amount of processed food to keep sodium in check and little to no lollies etc (fruit does make sugar go over a bit - as long as it's not too much I don't worry).

I do quite a bit of exercise which significantly makes it easier to meet the requirements because instead of using a 1200 calorie target I have a 2200 calorie target.
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    I've but back on sugar a lot but haven't cut it out completely. I have to have a balance between not feeling deprived and eating so much that it causes cravings.
  • gowrirao81
    gowrirao81 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Apart from the main macros (C,F&P), I am trying to watch my sugar ... it's funny how just the 2 fruits and 5 veggies seem to push it over the limit somedays ... 5 grams of sugar is a small carrot!
    My family has a solid history of diabetes so I will at some point in the future get it too and I figured if I can learn to live without simple sugars early on, I'd be prepared for it.
    Sugar free dark chocolate is my new dessert of choice! :love:
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    No artificial sweeteners, no high fructose corn syrup, low sodium food only, limit eating out, no cereal/oats whatsoever, no white foods (sugar, potatoes, rice, bread).
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Carbs - I'm diabetic and have Hashimoto's thyroiditis

As part of the restriction on carbs, I've eliminated
    Gluten - celiac
    All other grains - see carbs/diabetes/Hashimoto's
    corn - carb/grain/diabetes/Hashimoto's + an intolerance

And I've also eliminated
    soy - hashimoto's + an intolerance
    peanuts - an intolerance
    shellfish - an intolerance

I also severely restrict fruits and legumes - again, carbs are not my friend
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in dietary restrictions, which is why I refuse to partake in most organized religions. :laugh:

But seriously, I aim for a minimum of 75g protein and minimum 70g fat. I try to get a variety of different types of foods, but mostly what is affordable and tastes good.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    When I lost weight (10+ years ago) I didn't restrict calories. I limited ADDED sugar to less than 3grams of sugar (per food), and tried to eat slower carbs (whole wheat versus white bread, brown rice versus white...) and tried to eat whole foods. I cut out some crap. But no. I didn't restrict calories....

That was ten plus years ago, though...so the prevailing "wisdom" has changed. I've kept the weight off, but the prevailing wisdom has changed. Granted, I still follow those same guidelines....but again, the prevailing "wisdom" has changed.

ETA: these days, yes, I count. I have been for about a year. I'm going through menopause, and "not gaining" is more the goal than losing.... But yeah, I'm counting now. Have lost 2LBS in a year. woot.
  • floodedlungs
    Options
    Nothing really. I focus almost entirely on calories. I do try to make sensible choices though.
  • raptor5k
    raptor5k Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Added sugar, white flour, sugar substitute, processed food in general
  • olDave
    olDave Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Nothing.
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    lolfoodrestrictions
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I restrict fat stuff. Mostly because I have a history of reflux (all gone since I started eating less fat) and stomach issues because of it. So I usually try to stay under my fat goal.
  • theblondetrick
    theblondetrick Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I try not to eat bread,instead I eat rice cakes(now,I know that people say these are not good,but I love them and I feel like they are a lot better than white bread)
    Also,I try not to eat any sweets but fruit and sometimes I have a dr.Oetker milkshake,because it's pretty low in cals
    Oh and potatoes in any form really,they are just so high in calories and full of carbs
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    lolfoodrestrictions
    You don't restrict anything? Not even calories? Lucky you.
  • links_slayer
    Options
    lolfoodrestrictions

from the OP.....
    Other than calories, what do you restrict?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    lolfoodrestrictions

from the OP.....
    I get it... i guess your obnoxious mocking post put me off. Sorry.
  • links_slayer
    Options
    lolfoodrestrictions

from the OP.....
    I get it... i guess your obnoxious mocking post put me off. Sorry.

No worries.