Being Consistent in a different sort of way...

joneswife09
joneswife09 Posts: 207 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
Not trying to sound gross but I have a basic question. Has anyone else been pretty regular in using the bathroom since starting weight loss? I'm wondering if its not my extremely higher doses of fiber.

Replies

• aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Yep, it's the fiber! And you WANT that. Going #2 regularly is completely healthy and that's a big part of where you'll lose your weight. :happy: Keep your fiber intake high and you'll lose consistently!! I used to just use MFP's fiber recommendation. Then I found out it was supposed to be 25g so I started eating more fruits & veggies and eating a fiber bar everyday and now I go consistently and feel a lot better!
  • kimmrdodge
    kimmrdodge Posts: 190 Member
    I have been having the opposite problem. I used to "go" everday at the sane time. Now it's like every 3 or 4 days. Any labored, anyone have some advice. Maybe I need more fiber what is a quick easy way to get it?
  • joneswife09
    joneswife09 Posts: 207 Member
    I have been having the opposite problem. I used to "go" everday at the sane time. Now it's like every 3 or 4 days. Any labored, anyone have some advice. Maybe I need more fiber what is a quick easy way to get it?

I eat Kashi Go Lean -- it's in the database. In 1 cup it has 10g of fiber.
  • katythemommy
    katythemommy Posts: 437 Member

Same here! Before when I ate like crap, I would go pretty regularly. Now that I'm eating healthier and getting tons of fiber in it has been irregular. I think my body is just trying to even out and get a balance since this is still my 2nd week.

I have to admit though, I get a kick out of going to the bathroom (#1 or #2) since I know it's some kind of weight leaving my body :laugh:
  • mlbazemore
    mlbazemore Posts: 252 Member
    Using a natural phsyllium fiber will help with that problem. I suffer from irregularity also. A scoop in at least 8oz of water after breakfast and the same mixture before bed. Also, you want to make sure that you drink plenty of water...even increasing your fiber intake with fruits and veggies can have an adverse effect if you are not drinking plenty of water. I hope that helps...and I hope you overcome this problem...I know what a PAIN it can be...pun intended! Have a great day!
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Psyllium (there is no "h" in it) can cause gas, however, so you might want to plan to be "alone" for a few hours the first time you try it, to avoid a difficult situation.

Kimmrdoge--I looked at your diary and noticed you are not tracking fiber, but you are tracking iron. Unless you have some condition that requires you to monitor it that closely, I would say lose the iron category in your diary and replace it with fiber to make it easier for you to keep track of.

Also whole grain breads are a good source of fiber. Vegetables, some more than others. It is also important to drink plenty of water, especially if you increase your fiber intake, in order to "go" regularly. If you find you are still having problems after making these changes, it is possible to buy dried plums, aka prunes in the grocery, and eating a couple of them a day can help with the problem.
  • kimmrdodge
    kimmrdodge Posts: 190 Member
    Thank you all for your great ideas, I will try them and see what happens. :happy:
  • slcbrus
    slcbrus Posts: 79
    Absolutely! It's all the fiber and extra water from fruits and vegetables plus your regular or increased consumption of water. I think that exercising can also have some influence in that department :)

BTW if some of you are looking for a good source of fiber, coconut is one. I use coconut flour or coconut oil.

1111650.png
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Absolutely! It's all the fiber and extra water from fruits and vegetables plus your regular or increased consumption of water. I think that exercising can also have some influence in that department :)

BTW if some of you are looking for a good source of fiber, coconut is one. I use coconut flour or coconut oil.

1111650.png

Coconut FLOUR is excellent source of fiber 6 gr in 2 TBLSP, BUT Coconut OIL is NOT a source of fiber, but rather an excellent source of fat. I am not saying coconut oil is "bad"--just that you don't want to choose the oil if you are looking for increased fiber.
This discussion has been closed.