Fibre Supplements - Safe???

Options
AJCM
AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
Looking for some info...

I read a lot about people using fibre supplements on this site... from Psyllium powder/husks (sp?) to Benefibre to Metamucil. Is it safe to start taking these products, as your body might "get used" to them? Or does it work that way? Does it actually help weight loss, or does it just help "clean out"? :ohwell:

Thoughts? Thanks in advance!
:flowerforyou:

Replies

• AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Looking for some info...

I read a lot about people using fibre supplements on this site... from Psyllium powder/husks (sp?) to Benefibre to Metamucil. Is it safe to start taking these products, as your body might "get used" to them? Or does it work that way? Does it actually help weight loss, or does it just help "clean out"? :ohwell:

Thoughts? Thanks in advance!
    :flowerforyou:
  • DianneLynn
    DianneLynn Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    My brekky is usually All Bran Buds with Psyllium Fibre, Fibre 1 with Honey Clusters (which provide 48% and 56% of one's daily fibre requirement respectively) and McCann's Steelcut Irish Oatmeal ~ another high fibre but hot cereal.

WHY do I eat it?

um....keeps one regular avoiding constipation and ultimately promotes a healthy colon avoiding certain cancers

um...ingestion of fibre keeps one's hunger levels controlled as high fibre food takes longer to digest .

Those would be my two reasons off the top of my head but to use fibre supplementation for the sole purpose of losing weight is nuts ( you read about "celebrities" using laxatives and that is so not healthy at all)!

Excessive "dumping" is no better than vomitting (there's really no delicate way to say that..lol)

Seriously, there is no reason you can't get your daily requirement of fibre from a well balance diet. It seems to me that people that require iron in their vitamins suffer from constipation and might require those types of supplements as a laxative to help out.

Unfortunately the key to weight loss is a well balance "healthy" diet and consistent heart pumping exercise...I prefer weight training because lean muscle mass just makes it easier to sustain my goal.

Oh and don't forget ...WATER, WATER, WATER!

(but not to the extent of water intoxication...thats another good topic to "google")
  • Mireille
    Mireille Posts: 5,134 Member
    Options
    My mom used to use metamucil several years ago due to bm issues and her body adapted to it and eventually she had to stop using it cuz it just didn't work anymore.
    I believe that as long as you are eating the right food that are high in fiber whether it be high fiber cereals, fruits and vegetables and drinking plenty of water you should be okay. But with that being said, not everyone's body works the same and some people must take it or else nothing happens.
    I say if you everything is running smoothly without it, I would just keep doing what you are doing.
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: