NSV: I graduated from C25K!

Options
I started MFP on January 1st at 306. After losing about 10 pounds, I started Couch to 5K. I got off to a slow start, and kind of stumbled through the first 4 weeks. I thought I was going to die when I ran for 60 seconds at a time during the first day. But week 5 (with the 20 minute run!) was the turning point. Something clicked.

It didn't get easy. But I got better. I'm still not fast, but I have not run a full 5K (3.1 miles) twice! And I've completed the C25K program. I'm still 276 pounds (down 10%!!). But I'm not letting that slow me down.

I run slow--my fasted run is 4 MPH, but I can only do that for a song or two. My comfortable run is at 3.5 MPH.

But, I am RUNNING! Me! The almost 300 pound, 43 year old Mom who never ran!!

This is one of my favorite pictures:
I+run+slow.jpg

Replies

• beckimj
    beckimj Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    congratulations!!!!
  • hope002
    hope002 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!!!! I completed c25k 2 weeks ago, I know how you feel :)
  • rissaloses
    rissaloses Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Way to go! You have definitely motivated me to start this program!
  • jchocchip
    jchocchip Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Well done! I love c25k. I did it last year and now run a slow 5k every Saturday and try and do a mid week run too. Week 5 was a great feeling!
  • elsbbels
    elsbbels Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Wow amazing well done! I just did week 5 day 3 yesterday, and something clicked too, I couldn't believe I ran solid for 20 mins! What an achievement for you I cannot wait to graduate! :D!!
  • GC2B
    GC2B Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Well done.
    I hope that you inspire more to try it, its a great programme.
    And please dont worry about your speed, that will come later (so I'm told).

xx
  • dmw45
    dmw45 Posts: 73
    Options
    I'm too busy to finish for another few weeks but you are great inspiration for me to stick with it and come back to it when things slow down for me!! You had me running outside on Easter when the gym was closed because you'd done it, and since then I really prefer to do it outside! Who knew? ;)

Best part is you graduated just in time for the weather to be nice!!
  • shellbellnz
    shellbellnz Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Awesome, its such a good feeling isn't it. I was amazed that I finished it and I am still doing it. I still have not run 5k, as I run quite slow I think. But I am just blown away that I can even run for 30 mins at a time. Some days I still want to stop though but I made myself keep going.
  • Ifraj01
    Ifraj01 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You are awesome! I just started the program and your story is just what I needed to hear.
  • Angimom
    Angimom Posts: 1,463 Member
    Options
    High five, you are awesome! Congratulations!
  • flisafakto
    flisafakto Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Congrats! This is really great! I've had my struggles with C25K and this is very inspiring :)
  • xbleedingxglitterx
    Options
    Congrats!! So awesome!! I just started week 2 so reading your post inspires me to keep going :)
  • CoachBillRogers
    Options
    Awesome. I am on week 2 day 2 of C210K. It is quite a challenge. I fasted first to bring my weight down, doing other exercieses too. I weighed 302 on Jan 2nd and am down to 241 now. Keep Pounding Pavement!
  • MissMormie
    MissMormie Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Great job! Really, well done. See what you can accomplish if your set your mind to it?

And the speed, it'll get better as long as you keep going. When I finished a couch to 5k I was at a speed where I was literally being overtaken by people walking their dogs. I'm still not fast but I can now outrun old people with crutches ;)
  • nickgarner6
    nickgarner6 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Rock On!! You're doing awesome!
  • cgo8890
    cgo8890 Posts: 32
    Options
    great job! very inspiring!
  • rebeccawwalters
    rebeccawwalters Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Another saying I really like..."No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping someone on the couch!"
  • firedenswife2012
    firedenswife2012 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I love the quote from your picture! This group really encourages me to keep on keeping on.
  • Wende3
    Wende3 Posts: 41
    Options
    I am on week five and will do workout three tonight. I am nervous I won't be able to make the 20 minutes but I'm going to give it a shot! Congrats to you!
  • simplyme99
    simplyme99 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    What an accomplishment! Yay for you!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!