Fluctuating Calorie Intake... Good or bad?

Options
2»

Replies

• TheNorwegianGuy
    Options
    Maybe this is a totally stupid question. But bare with me. I`m new to all this.

Does this mean that if i eat few calories during the weekdays, Can I then have binge day (Saturday) where i can eat some more calories as long as my week is under as a total?

Even if I go over my limit on the binge day?
  • allikat93
    allikat93 Posts: 236
    Options

Does this mean that if i eat few calories during the weekdays, Can I then have binge day (Saturday) where i can eat some more calories as long as my week is under as a total?

Lol. Im still fairly new at this too but I think you are right. It makes sense I guess. Lol
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

As long as everything averages out for the week, then it will not make an appreciable difference in the long run, assuming your total week is the same. However, this assumes some common sense in that the weekday calories are not so low as to not be getting proper nutrition (including hitting protein and fat targets) or to be creating a very large deficit.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

I guess it does make me feel better. Lol. What do you think my bf% is? I know it is high. Kinda scared to know.. But it is good info tobhave. :)

I will respond in the thread more fully and with a better answer but to be honest, it is really hard to assess with any degree of accuracy above about 30%. What really matters is that you are doing the 'right things' to lose weigh and that the weight is as much fat (as opposed to muscle) loss as possible.

Eat at a reasonable caloric deficit, get enough protein and do some resistance training, and you will be doing everything you can to get your BF% down. Longer term trends in scale weight (4 weekly cycles to take out water weight fluctuations as much as possible) as well as measurements and the mirror will tell you if you are making progress.

Yeah. Could I friend you? I have a huge lack of modivation/support here at home. I try to stick to a diet.. Then the bf brigs home something I have a hard time resisting (mainly sweets) and I get knocked off track for weeks. :(

Totally. The biggest culprit is to allow the odd bad day here and there to derail everything. Also, working on setting an appropriate target that is achievable in the long run, but still allows for this type of thing (within reason) is very important imo.
  • allikat93
    Options

I guess it does make me feel better. Lol. What do you think my bf% is? I know it is high. Kinda scared to know.. But it is good info tobhave. :)

I will respond in the thread more fully and with a better answer but to be honest, it is really hard to assess with any degree of accuracy above about 30%. What really matters is that you are doing the 'right things' to lose weigh and that the weight is as much fat (as opposed to muscle) loss as possible.

Eat at a reasonable caloric deficit, get enough protein and do some resistance training, and you will be doing everything you can to get your BF% down. Longer term trends in scale weight (4 weekly cycles to take out water weight fluctuations as much as possible) as well as measurements and the mirror will tell you if you are making progress.

Yeah. Could I friend you? I have a huge lack of modivation/support here at home. I try to stick to a diet.. Then the bf brigs home something I have a hard time resisting (mainly sweets) and I get knocked off track for weeks. :(

Totally. The biggest culprit is to allow the odd bad day here and there to derail everything. Also, working on setting an appropriate target that is achievable in the long run, but still allows for this type of thing (within reason) is very important imo.

Lol. Thanks. Maybe you can whip my butt into shape :)
    Just did my BMR. Says with my activity level I should eat 1300 calories a day. Makes sense. Now lets see if I can do it. (1600 was close to a 'maintain weight' goal)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Just did my BMR. Says with my activity level I should eat 1300 calories a day. Makes sense. Now lets see if I can do it. (1600 was close to a 'maintain weight' goal)

Edited:: I just saw your settings. Your base of 1,600 is not to maintain. That includes a deficit. What weight loss target per week did you select?
  • allikat93
    Options

That seems really low.

Can you PM me your stats (height, weight, age) and your activity - both day to day (e.g., desk job, running around after kids etc) and exercise, and I will try to work out a better number.
    Sure one sec
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

That seems really low.

Can you PM me your stats (height, weight, age) and your activity - both day to day (e.g., desk job, running around after kids etc) and exercise, and I will try to work out a better number.
    Sure one sec

Sorry - I edited my post after I realized that the 1,600 was your target (pre exercise). Still PM me your details though.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Personally I have never tried this, but a guy on my friends list said calorie cycling broke him out of a year long plateau. One day he would eat at TDEE, the next at TDEE - 40%, and alternate. He said it helps to eat at TDEE every other day as your body isn't under pressure from a constant deficit.

Personally I think it would be good for things social events or meals out, to have that extra calorie allowance knowing you will make it back the next day.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Even though you may dismiss refeeds or carb cycling for OP since they're not lean enough if you've been on a caloric deficit for a long time breaks from such a "strict diet" can often help regardless of your current body fat. I have re-feeds or cheat days half structured and have not. If they come unexpectedly I adjust the rest of my week around it.

If things are working fine, don't mess with it. I've only had to mess with my training because I still have bf to cut, but for some reason what I've done so far just stopped working. Going through different processes to find what works for you and not piggy backing others just because it worked for them is also important. The last time I plateau'd really hard I went back onto intermittent fasting and that helped. Unless you have a coach you're sending update pictures + measurements + stats there is no way for someone to help you calculate your most efficient macros.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Even though you may dismiss refeeds or carb cycling for OP since they're not lean enough if you've been on a caloric deficit for a long time breaks from such a "strict diet" can often help regardless of your current body fat. I have re-feeds or cheat days half structured and have not. If they come unexpectedly I adjust the rest of my week around it.

Funnily enough, I do notice that if I have stuck to my usual calorie allowance for some time, and then I have one higher calorie day because an unexpected event came up (or a binge, admittedly!), I tend to lose weight faster rather than gain.
  • detroitcupcake
    detroitcupcake Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    i certainly agree that fluctuating calories is best. and especially as a woman it very often depends on where you are in your monthly cycle with regards to needing additional calories to replenish your system. listen to your body!