Headaches & running

Options
When you have a headache should you power through or sit it out? I don't want to hurt myself but for some reason I feel like running might help, at the same time I don't want to make my headache worse.

Thoughts?

Replies

• KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Try a gentle run, if it makes your headache worse then call it a day. Stay hydrated.
  • Mharren
    Mharren Posts: 60
    Options
    Uh....depends on the type of headache really. If you feel pulsating sensations, see spots, or experience anything 'pressure-ish'....you need to stop and see a physician. These are signs of strokes or pre-existing aneurysms in runners that just haven't blown yet. If you have feelings like this or have in the past see your physician as soon as possible to arrange for cranial imaging. Things like aneurysms that haven't blown yet can be clipped off.

But don't freak, a regular headache is just a headache and taking it easy, with a blood thinner like aspirin (A.S.A.) is recommended. Consider checking your blood pressure often if this is a regular occurrence. Many pharmacy chains now have automated blood pressure machines that can be used for free, there are also automated devices you can purchase from home health care providers and pharmacies. Some heart monitors also have a blood pressure monitor feature but these are very inaccurate. Buying an actual sphygmomanometer and a stethoscope is cheap and quite easy to learn to use.

From a safety point of view if we're just talking about a regular, run-of-the-mill headache here, I'd suggest a cardio work out thats a little safer, like a bicycle. So if you go down because your headache worsens or you get dizzy, etc, there isn't as far to go to hit the ground....and your not going as fast.

You'll have to pardon me. I tend to think Zebra's before Horses when I hear hoof beats.

Enjoy your runs!
    - Mharren