obese and looking to transform my body

Options
where do i begin?
i want to transform my body from flabby to fit.
i read about lifting heavy, and that seems interesting.

i am not active at all - so how do i begin?
and what should i be focusing on?

thanks!

Replies

• anawhatsme
    anawhatsme Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Anyone???
  • mousemom18
    mousemom18 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Two things.

1) Start by walking. Outside. Every day. Half an hour.

2) And water. Drink a lot of it. Instead of every other beverage.

Also, there is a whole forum on MFP of success stories of people who have started where you are and lost weight. Read some of those for ideas.
  • caterpillardreams
    caterpillardreams Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Well it seems you took the first step, you are here, and you want it. Now you must take a physical first step. You don't have to be a super athlete to lose weight and be healthy, start walking, as far as you can. maybe 20 minutes a day.
    Then in one week increase that.
    You can get some videos and do light weight training at home. Or go online and get free videos on youtube.
    Don't overdue it at first, take it one day at a time,
    Take a look at the foods you eat and substitute the sugary fat foods for veggies, fruits, lean meats and whole grains.
    make a menu for the week and shop according to that, prepare yourself so that when you are hungry you already have the good foods on hand and not the chips and dip.
    because I like chips and dip, I try my hardest not to have it around all the time.
    You can do this. And you will hear this from others when you fall get back up, you should make changes for your life.
  • casy84
    casy84 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    First of all you should slowly eliminate the bad food. If you get big cravings, just go for it an move on without feeling very guilty or punishing yourself. In time, the cravings will not be so often and finally they'll be gone for good.
    Give it time because it's a long road ahead and remember you're not in a hurry.

I was addicted to coca cola and it took months to get rid of it. At first I just drank a can or two every week when I got the craving, but after a while I just forgot all about it. Now I find its taste too sweet amd would rather drink a lemonade :)
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    If you like the idea of lifting heavy, then you should do that! The best workout is always the one that you do consistently.

Get either New Rules of Lifting for Women or Starting Strength - both are good programs for beginners and will walk you through everything you need to know. Then just follow the programs. If you have a pile of cash lying around, hiring a personal trainer for a few sessions is a great idea - they can make sure you're doing everything with proper form. Remember that in the beginning your muscles will be going "woohoo! We're so awesome! Look how strong we can get!" but you've still got joints and nerves and things that will adapt more slowly so you want to make sure you've got a good base before you start pushing to the max.

If you don't like the idea of going to a gym, don't overlook bodyweight programs. "You Are Your Own Gym" is a good book to start with, or you can just google it and find a billion videos. They're cheaper to get started with and if you do decide to join the gym later, you'll have already laid the foundation of form and joint strength and all that other good stuff.

Do not let anyone tell you you need to lose weight before you start picking up heavy things. They are silly people and don't know what they're talking about. Good luck!
  • RHSheetz
    RHSheetz Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Personally, my path started with getting my eating under control. Controlled eating, with a calorie deficit is the first step. many people think that exercise is the way to loose weight, but that is not sustainable. So, I have learned to eat for my level of activity.

Your first step should be to record EVERYTHING you eat. Weigh it, measure it, record it. I think a lot of people do not realize how much they eat. Then, once you are aware of your eating, start replacing unhealthy, high calorie, low nutrient foods with Low Carloie, High Nutrition items.
  • KFuerst27
    KFuerst27 Posts: 43
    Options
    Find what you love to do and do it.

Try new things--maybe you will discover something you didn't know you'd love! I try different classes at the Y, and I love Piloxing and Kettlebell. Zumba is my least favorite (although it's probably the most popular class), and I go if I need to. I also love Body Pump, kickboxing, Pilates and yoga.

I recommend finding a fitness friend so you can keep each other accountable and exercise together.

It has helped me to set long-term goals. I walk either a full or half marathon every September. That helps keep me walking. I am signed up for Warrior Dash in September, and that is keeping me running and motivated.

If you don't love it, you won't do it. If you love it, it won't seem like a chore.

Have fun!!