healthy food ideas to raise caloric intake

2»

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    I just joined MFP because I have been exercising and not losing weight. I have been trying to change my eating habits lately, but I discovered that I'm not eating enough calories and I guess my body is going into "starvation mode." I eat 3 meals a day plus one or two snacks of healthy things but when they're all added together, I'm lucky if I reach 1000 calories. I can't imagine eating anymore in addition to that because I am already so full. What are some foods that can help me reach my caloric intake goal (which is ideally 1700 for my current weight) but are still healthy?

** side-note:: I can't stand peanut butter and am allergic to avocados which are the 2 main things I am finding when I look around the web.

My advice...change the way you think about food. Yes, there are certain foods that generally lack nutrition, but many foods that are often considered "junk" or people think should be avoided actually have a lot of health benefits...just need to be consumed in some moderation..some examples.

Vegetable cooking oils (avoid partially hydrogenated...i.e. trans fats)...I'm partial to Olive Oil. I use it often for sauteing and/or roasting veggies. I often roast veggies in the oven..a little olive oil goes a long way in upping your calories. It is high in fat, but it is the good kind of fat...monounsaturated fat and omega 3s that help prevent heart disease...lower LDL levels and increase HDL levels. I'm not any fuller eating some veggies that were roasted in a bit of olive oil than I would be if I steamed them..but I get an extra 110 calories per Tbsp

Nuts...find some nuts you like or a mix of nuts you like. Nuts are extremely nutrient dense and packed with minerals, vitamins, and heart healthy fats. I prefer dry roasted no salt. Dry roasted nuts come in around 160 calories per ounce...they can come in at 250 calories + per ounce if they've been roasted in another oil.

Peanut Butter and Avocado...won't go into detail as you are allergic...just for others out there, these two things are highly nutritious and calorie dense.

Dark chocolate...packed with antioxidants and other nutrition..well worth the calories given the nutritional benefits. Take caution though...a little goes a loooonnngggg way calorie wise.

You could also look to things like cheese and other dairy, including yogurts (I prefer Greek for the protein boost)...I prefer dairy in very moderate amounts as it is quite high in saturated fats.
  • kimmykailani
    kimmykailani Posts: 14 Member
    Nuts have lots of cals and are good for you. So does cheese. So...

Brie-with-Spiced-Honey-and-Walnuts-Recipe.jpg

....I don't know what that is but I want all of it lol
  • sgtlee13
    sgtlee13 Posts: 66
    Nuts have lots of cals and are good for you. So does cheese. So...

Brie-with-Spiced-Honey-and-Walnuts-Recipe.jpg

....I don't know what that is but I want all of it lol

mmmmm...I'd put money on you meeting your daily caloric goal :)
  • Yourkindagirl
    Yourkindagirl Posts: 100 Member
    Smoothies. You can make them from Greek yogurt and fruit.
    Add cheese to food.
    Add brown rice to meals.
    Eat potatoes (white and sweet)
    Eat a protein bar as a snack during the day. (They range from 180 t0 250 calories).
    Add granola to your yogurt or oatmeal.
    Breyers fat free ice cream (a serving is a 1/2 cup. Eat 2 servings).
  • GrannyGwen1
    GrannyGwen1 Posts: 213 Member
    Topic: healthy food ideas to raise caloric intake
    BUMP TO READ LATER TODAY, THANK YOU EVERYONE XXX GG
  • blackcloud13
    blackcloud13 Posts: 654 Member
    bump
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Full fat dairy! Cook with healthy fats (butter, lard, coconut oil, olive oil, avocado oil, etc), make yourself some homemade mayo (it's amazing and a real calorie bomb)....you said you don't like PB, but perhaps a different sort of nut or seed butter? I make sunflower seed butter and it's really tasty.

Potatoes with butter/sour cream.
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    just add butter and cheese to everything. Fat is not bad for you!
  • JeneticTraining
    JeneticTraining Posts: 663 Member
    Avocado
    Peanut/Almond butter
    Coconut EVO oil
    Almonds/Peanuts
    Salmon
  • kimmykailani
    kimmykailani Posts: 14 Member
    This is awesome. I went from not knowing where to start to having a huge list of things to try. The hardest part I guess has been trying to convince myself that some of these things that are labeled as bad bad demon foods (like butter) can actually be good for me. Like some of the previous posters stated I really need to reevaluate my idea of what healthy foods really are. Sheesh man they make it sounds so easy - "It's all calories in vs. calories out." but it's clearly a lot more than that and it can get a bit overwhelming. Thanks for all the help.
  • JosieRawr
    JosieRawr Posts: 788 Member
    ice cream
    cheese
    butter
    coconut oil
    olive oil
    nuts(dunno if your aversion to pb extends to all nuts, if not they're a great source of calories when extra are needed)

If you can't eat it drink it!
    milk
    protein powder
    breakfast type powders(usually are like a multivitamin)

OP asks for "healthy food ideas," first response is ice cream. I like the way you think.

Thank you! and if the OP needs convincing

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/903628-one-year-of-barbells-and-ice-cream-my-story-so-far-pics

Sara's my inspiration! :)
  • 2FatToRun
    2FatToRun Posts: 810 Member
    1 serving dark chocolate 55 calories just good
    1/4 chopped pecans 210 calories good fat
    med apple 65 calories good fiber (or banana)

warm up nuts and chocolate so you can spread them
    eat on apple

BTW just one example there are many many more to choose from