Water exercise suggestions???

hopeitworks
hopeitworks Posts: 284 Member
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
Hello all. I had meniscus surgery about 1 1/2 weeks ago and my physical therapist said I could use a boogie board in a pool and do some paddling. Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations for any websites for doing full/upper body exercises in the pool? He said I can try some upper body things as long as I don't overdo it. Any suggestions would be really helpful. The only other problem I'm going to have is getting over being self-conscious about walking around the pool area in a bathing suit. Yuck. Thanks for any suggestions. And HAPPY MOTHERS DAY to all the mothers out there.

Replies

• pbxr
    pbxr Posts: 100 Member
    Hi there,

I don't have any suggestions for websites, but I can share what I do. :) It's just a simple exercise, but I can always tell I've worked certain muscle groups when I'm done. :wink:

To isolate & work my tummy & upper body muscles (arms, shoulders, upper back, pectorals), I pick up my legs in the water (sometimes I even cross them like I'm sitting on the floor) & don't let them touch the bottom of the pool. I then try to propel myself forward using only my arms. After I do this for a bit, I turn around and move backwards using only my arms. Sometimes I do a bit of water walking in between to give my arms a rest because it realllllly works all those muscles. If you try it, just go at a pace that works for you.

Hope you have a speedy recovery ~ HTH! :flowerforyou:
  • kathy1969
    kathy1969 Posts: 1
    I do water aerobics 3 times a week and we do alot of arms. My suggestions would be to make sure you keep your shoulders in the water by bending your knees alittle bit. do some shoulder rolls and small circles with arms out to your sides and maybe some chest presses(arms bent at a 90 with hand out of the water elbows in the waterand just bring them in towards your chest). Just walking and moving your arms like you would on land will help to. Just remember to strech them out genlty when you are done. Hope this helps. Good luck. I too was wary of walking in the pool but then i realized I am here to take care of me and everyone else is doing the samething how we look matters to us not the other people in the pool. They to are wondering how they look , slim or not I am NOT slim I am a size 20.
  • SexyIsPainful
    SexyIsPainful Posts: 42 Member
    http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/fitness/search/results.jsp?_DARGS=/fitness/templates/searchForm.jsp

Dont worry about the bathing suit thing - you will love water aerobics especially if you find a class in your community to attend. I love going and the other ladies (even alot of Senior Citzens) are encouraging
  • hopeitworks
    hopeitworks Posts: 284 Member
    Thanks for your suggestions. I'm going to try some of them tomorrow.
This discussion has been closed.